28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Purists might hate my new Cobra!

I love the Cobra. And, I love the new Corvettes. So, I built a race quality space frame, skinned it with aluminum and used the best parts for the 1997 and up Corvette. This includes the engine, suspension(switched to coilovers), brakes, wheels/tires, and differential. I converted the diff into accepting a driveshaft. In the Vette the tranny bolts to it. I use a T56 six speed tranny bolted to the engine.
My floor is 3 inches lower than most so that you sit down in it. I route the air out the side of the car to eliminate lift (vents can be installed in the body). My over the top headers make it possible to have huge, and cool (in temp) footboxes. With the Vette suspension and sway bars it is a great handling car. I started it for the first time at the 2008 Run n Gun and set the fast time on the road course for all Cobras, regardless of power, running on over 200 rated tires. (street legal)
I know that my car is not for the purists. Obviously I wasn't trying to build a replica. I wanted a modern super car with an dimensionally accurate Cobra body. I then painted it Corvette Atomic Orange Effect.
I am finishing some details and hoping spring comes soon so that I can drive it!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

I say have some special badges made up that read COBRETTE.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

That looks really slick, do you have any detail shots of the build you could post?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I think its Cool John,and seeing it run was even Better Great work.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I like different, so I like your car a lot. I'd like to see more build photos too.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
John,

Not being a purist, I think your car is really great. The work you did on the frame and suspension are far above average and I like the final look. When I had my Cobra it was not even close to being like an original, but I built it to suite myself and not all the other people around me. I like the shot where the hood is open. Not many engine compartments look that clean.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default 20/20

I wish I had stuck with my orginal plan and went with a GM powerplant. Nice work.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

I like your car....lots of creativity and looks great. The engine shot is tops!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

John, wow - what a great looking build. The frame / chassis / aluminum skin looks beautiful. Tremendous looking machine. I don't like orange cars - but that color does look good. Congratulations.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Very interesting and beautifully executed. Please keep posting more details and photos. When it comes to Cobras, the thing I personally care most about is the look. For replicas, as long as that incredible shape and well proportioned dimensions are maintained, why not put your idea of the "right" drivetrain and suspension underneath?

I cringe at the sight of some (not all) of the distorted, reinvented shapes out there because I am turned on by aesthetics. Others are pure motorheads and care more about brand loyalty. To each his own, but your Cobra rendition looks great. Any performance data?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I've said for a long time, that when I see a car that I don't necessarily like,
"to each it's own". Do I like seeing a Hemi in a cobra, or one with 22" wheels,....no. But everyone has their own taste.

God gave us all our own free will, soul, spirit and creative mind, which makes us individuals.

Personally,.....I love the car, but what is most important, if it turns your crank and puts a smile on your face, all is right in your world.

Kev
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

What a gas....that's incredible.....I like everything except the double vents on the sides. Great work and and a slick looking car.
ken
Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

niiiice! fast times at run n gun is quite an accomplishment for a one off home build. what did it end up weighing?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Cobras are like Harleys, the fun is making it your own. I can appreciate the time and craftsmanship you put into this project. Very nice.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

John, if I was there in person I wouldnt be able to resist having a dig at you over the GM stuff, but thats my nature. As others have pointed out more power to you, your the guy with a big grin !!!, one comment though--how come the 'stickers' are still on the tire's, if it was mine they would be looong gone even in 'Go-Kart' form!!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

John, like Sinatra said, "I did it my way". You're the only one that needs pleasing. Looks like a rocket to me. Hope you enjoy.
In face, split the headers again and run another set out of the upper hole and tie them back to the sidepipes. That would be really cool!!

Mark