Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   NorCal Cobras (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/norcal-cobras/)
-   -   Watch this FFR Cobra do a 10.31 1/4 mile... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/norcal-cobras/88605-watch-ffr-cobra-do-10-31-1-4-mile.html)

jperickson2001 06-20-2008 08:01 AM

Watch this FFR Cobra do a 10.31 1/4 mile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhVbsb_f-U

Wow! :eek: -John

CobraCurtis 06-20-2008 08:31 AM

that was awesome. what are the specs on the FFR?

Curtis

CobraCurtis 06-20-2008 08:37 AM

saw the post on FFCOBRA.com and waiting for the owner to chime in.

SF_SN888KE 06-20-2008 10:58 AM

Curtis, You've got to start looking outside the FFR cobra box!

CobraEd 06-20-2008 11:11 AM

Obviously fast, but has a very unusual sound. Not like most Cobras

rattlesnakepete 06-20-2008 12:36 PM

I was there yesterday at Woodburn Dragstrip. Their were five of us Cobra guys. Thomas made this awesome run with in twin turbo 331 inch sbf. That was his last run because he broke the 135 mph rule at the track. He will need all of the conventional safety gear including roll cage to run again.

It was spectacular!

jperickson2001 06-20-2008 12:51 PM

Here are the Factory Fives' specs for the 10.31 1/4

331 stroker (small block:D)
twin turbo
Lentec AOD with superior axleshaft upgrade
8.8 (live axle) 3-Link
3:08 rear end ratio
574hp:eek:
747tq%/-John

CobraEd 06-20-2008 12:54 PM

That explains why it is so quiet. Those turbos emulsify the exhast pulses before they leave the pipes.

greg schroeder 06-20-2008 01:51 PM

Cool stuff on the pass. :eek:

I bet that car has a high 9 in it given that pretty casual looking start.

Twin turbos seems like a great idea. :)

colin mullaney 06-20-2008 06:32 PM

That was great. Can't help but feel the owners excitement and be happy for him.

Excaliber 06-20-2008 06:41 PM

Automatic? Twin turbos? It's a hot rod, not a Cobra...

csx wnab 06-20-2008 06:56 PM

yeah, what excaliber said

csx4910 06-20-2008 07:03 PM

Why would twin turbos make it a hot rod instead of a cobra? Can't it be both?

csx wnab 06-20-2008 07:07 PM

there are only two automatic cobra's. and one sold for 5.5 mil.

Power Surge 06-20-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csx wnab (Post 853987)
there are only two automatic cobra's. and one sold for 5.5 mil.

There were a lot more than 2 automatic original Cobras. Just FYI. :cool:

vettestr 06-20-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 853978)

Hello Ernie,
Gotta give some ground on this one. I think old CS himself built a ... real or original or a not a replica car with an automatic, actually more than one. He also hung twin Paxtons on it and tried to run the Silver State with this car. After The Cos was inspired to do his 200 MPH skit the car went on to sell for over 5 1/2 mil at B Jaskson. I do think it was a Hot Rod but ya can't get more Cobra.

Maricopa 06-20-2008 10:23 PM

What, just cuz it don't have a dumb-ass looking flat black hood and it's faster than your's?
What a maroon. :rolleyes:

SandyC 06-20-2008 11:25 PM

Automatic cobras

Automatics are getting more common. Here's one with paddle shifters for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelb...spagenameZWDVW

Excaliber 06-20-2008 11:57 PM

Some of the early 289 cars were also automatic, which has little or no bearing on THIS modern replica. My point is this: Many of todays modern Cobras share little or nothing with the car they pretend to emulate. Not necessarily a bad thing, but some builds really push the envelope of the term 'replica' and when they do a more accurate term would be 'hot rod'. Now thats not necessarily a bad thing, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. :LOL: To suggest an automatic is OK for a 'drag racing' replica Cobra is doing exactly that. Show me an original drag race Cobra that ran in the 10's with an auto and twin hair dryers sporting a solid axle? Puuhlease, that aint rain I'm feeling my friend! :D

Early 289 original drag race Cobra's ran in the 10's. WITH IRS, stick shift FOUR speed, naturally apirated (one or two carbs) and a small block! Now THAT is a drag race Cobra!

I'm just recognizing 'reality', many of todays replicas are in fact, 'hot rods'. Now the COOL thing about that is, darn few 'hot rods' have EVER aspired to the worthy goals a replica Cobra does. A replica Cobra captures the 'spirit' of a real Cobra in this sense, generally speaking: There built to handle well, stop well, go fast, be drivable to work and STILL 'kick ass' in all forms of street or track. Plus, they look great. Now compare THOSE STANDARDS to a more typical 'hot rod', a '32 Deuce Coupe. It looks good, but would you ever take it on a road course? When was the last time you saw one on a drag strip? Would you drive it to work everyday? Not even close to a Cobra 'hot rod'. Most 'hot rods' are SHOW cars, that is what separates a replica Cobra from the rest of the 'hot rod' world. Replicas are meant to be DRIVEN and driven hard. Well done, an awesome 'hot rod' that happens to look like a Cobra, just don't tell me that's rain... :D

OH, and if were playing the 'well an original had one' game, there were more than one original with a black hood, which is where I got the idea. Plenty of solid red Cobras out there, or red with white stripe, something different but still in the spirit of the 'game', a black hood, I like it! Not all original paint jobs are worth emulating, here's an example from an original Cobra. I couldn't bring myself to do this one. :LOL:
CSX3020
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...-yell-blck.jpg

PANAVIA 06-21-2008 12:53 AM

how about this vintage footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7dxs2J6gc&NR=1