LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New to Forum- Cobra Question

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and have been thinking about getting a cobra for quite some time and I live in the Nor Cal area. 1 problem though... I am 6'6" tall. Does anyone in the area know of any kits that may work? If not has anyone made and sort of modifications that may work as well?

Thanks for your time!
Chris
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

What is your inseam like? IE: Are you long legged or is your height mostly from the waist up?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Check out these long legged options:

Lonestar Classic has a 94" wheel base and easy in and out for you and those long legged blondes that are going to come around more frequently once they see your street machine.

Hurricane has an extended travel seat track with fender cutouts to accommodate you and your long legged friends.

P.S. Welcome !
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

If you are properly motivated you can make even the 90 inch wheelbase cars work by setting up the pedals and seats. It takes some trial and error but it is doable.

I picked my car based on the extra length. In hind sight I could have made almost any of the other kits work just fine with some effort.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Easy
1) You will never be perfect in a 90" wheelbase car. But you can be comfortable....YES!
2) Drop the footbox as many have.
3) Install a comp seat as that will drop you further
4) Nix the seat tracks
5) Now enjoy.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Chris !

I would take your time buying/building a Cobra. Too many people, get too excited and end up with a car their not happy with. At this time, I don't think a man of your height of 6'6", will fit in a original 90" wheel base Cobra but,....
please continue researching. I have a "Lone Star Classic" (LSC) Cobra that is a 94" car with a 4" dropped floor pan. I, being 5'9", can not touch the fire wall. I have had a few men that were 6'4" sit in my car, and tilted my steering column up and one said, "I think this is do-able", with a huge smile of excitement.

One manufacture called "Street Beast's, is a almost limousine Cobra, at 98" wheel base but, I know nothing about them except,......a new post here on CC about their problems with this company. You might look it up.

street beasts kits

I can say that Brian, the new owner of LSC is doing a great job with some details that needed some attention. I really like my Cobra from them. The frame is very stout and believe it's one of the best 2x4 box ladder style frames out there. The body is also very strong and pretty damn close to the original, although it being 4" longer in the cockpit. You really can't tell unless a 90" car is next to you, or if a knowledgeable owner looks at it. Myself, I defiantly would not go any longer than 94". I would say to you, that if the "Street Beast" is the only car you can fit in, at the very least, you would have a COBRA ! Their is nothing,......like a Cobra.

As Brian can attest to, I'm very picky and critical about quality. I would have no problem with buying another LSC Cobra. For the price, you get a very full kit of parts, options, and with some detailing, a great when completed Cobra.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me. I'll help you out as much as I can. In fact, anyone here on CC will do the same. We have a great group of Cobra people.

Here is their website. http://www.lonestarclassics.com/index.cfm

Here's a few of my sites-

http://www.youtube.com/user/427HISS

http://www.motortopia.com/427hiss/cars

http://www.myspace.com/427shelbycobra

Thanks,
Kevin

cobrakev@galaxycable.net

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-12-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, that's why I'm here.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info.
I'm another new guy here, 6'2" and close to 300 lbs.
These are the questions I've been seeking answers to.

Heck, even my wife is a relative Amazon at 5'9" and, well, let's say she's "built"...

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, welcome to you too, and glad to have you aboard
Sounds like she may be a snake chamer.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

I am 6'3", and with long legs. I researched long and hard before I chose a Cobra kit, and plumped for the Lonestar extended wheel base kit. NO problems fitting in, and the overall frame and body (as mentioned by funfer) is superb quality. Check out some of my pics, but I fit very comfortably into the car, and my head is not at all "above the windshield". I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Neo/Clem

One more thing about a Lone Star. Once completed they will get the car titled for you in Texas if that helps at all! Search this site for Title problems!!!

Larry
Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #633, 351w stroker, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Chris - Welcome to the group. I had similar concerns. Test driving is the key. Over a period of two to three months I test drove more than a dozen Cobras, sometimes driving 3-4 hours to get there. I got most of my leads from Curt Scott's website which is www.cobracountry.com.

I found the Superformance fit great, bought it, and I don't even have the seat all the way back. That was more than a year ago and I still can't wipe the smile off. Since you're in CA make sure you limit your scope to SB100 licensed cars to avoid possible future nightmares.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Last edited by boblyon1; 10-12-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, that's why I'm here.
Not Ranked     

Spent some time on the Lone Star site, there's alot to like about their car.
Thanks!

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I'm 6' 6" (35 inch inseam) and fit in my original cobra. It's tight but comfortable. I do not have a roll bar which I think allows a little bit more room. I did bolt the seat directly to the floor to give me a bit more head room which allows me to drive the car with the soft top on. I have driven the car on 12 hour rallies in the distant past. I used to slalom the car and my knee would hit the light switch as I slid in the seat and eventually I snapped off part of the lever. I also can't put the key on a key chain since my knee hits it and turns off the ignition. I have put about 70,000 miles on my car over the years. The first 4 years I used it as my everyday car and put almost 50,000 miles on it. The foot boxes are also very narrow and that can also be a bit of a problem for folks with big feet. I have size 13 and it's OK but tight. My son is also about 6'6" with size 14 and he can also drive the car. On a long trip the limiting factor for me is the heat, wind and noise rather than how I fit in the car. I had a ZR-1 Corvette and the Cobra is much more comfortable for me to sit in.

By the way several of the replica manufactures will install dropped foot boxes that allow more room. You can also install seats with less padding. As pointed out it would be wise to go to and event and just ask to sit in some of the cars.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: streetbeast kit
Not Ranked     

I've been researching this alot, and teh two greatest options I have seen are the LoneStar kit, and the StreetBeast kit*. Also, the Cobray (built on a 'vette chassis) appears to be very comfortable for a man of our stature (6'4" 235 lbs).

*I recently just got a StreetBeast kit, and all I can say is this thing is huge. I have a '00 Camaro, and figured as long as the Cobra was around teh same size, I'd be fine. The Cobra is sooo much bigger its scary. I just got the kit, and I put a seat pan on the floor and jumped in, and I felt like a little kid. So much room. And I've heard alot of bad things about StreetBeast (as you will read on here). I bought the kit from an individual who unfortunately can't complete the build, so I did not have to deal with the company directly. I just took delivery of it, so haven't started working on it but it does look like a very nice, very sturdy platform to build on.

71SS454 Chevelle with just a bit of work done to it
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Like others have stated here, I would look into the LoneStar. Back when I was originally looking for Cobra's I drove a LS and I couldn't believe the room it had (although I'm only around 6.0 - 6.1 and 210lbs).
I have to say though that my father has driven my SPF without any problems, and he's around 6.4 and probably pushing 265lbs. The thing to do with 90" cars is to take the seat rails out and mount the seat directly to the floor where you feel comfortable. I know several "large" guys that have done that without any problems.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Easy
1) You will never be perfect in a 90" wheelbase car. But you can be comfortable....YES!
2) Drop the footbox as many have.
3) Install a comp seat as that will drop you further
4) Nix the seat tracks
5) Now enjoy.

If you drop the footbox and the seat, isn't everything still all at the same level except lower ????

________
Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am 6'2" and 290 and with some small mods my SPF fits like a glove.

1. it has a dropped floor.
2. I ditched the seat rails.
3. rigged mounts that placed the seat all the way back that tilted the seat front up 2" from floor.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Keep searching...

Gotta few buddies who are 6'5" who fit in SPFs and ERAs with mods mentioned. Others have ended up with modified Classic Productions or other 94" extended models who did not want to try and make a 90" wb work. The issue I've seen is torso height, where your legs fit but on the top half you end up eating bugs with you face above the windshield. Take a look at depth and body height as well. If you look at an SPF, the whole cowl section is raised with a tad more room than other cars.

For any of the 90" wheelbase cars being considered, and if you go new-build, what you might consider is contacting and asking each of the manufacturers if they will make you a "big boy model" setup. Unique Motorcars Ltd. in Gadsen Alabama use to do this as an option a while back but I dont know if they do it any more. Several sports folks have bought Uniques for this option. Maybe you can call them and see.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"The issue I've seen is torso height, where your legs fit but on the top half you end up eating bugs with you face above the windshield"

Quick fix- goggles & mouth guard.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Heck you,guys are lucky. I'm aonly 5'2....had to put blocks on my petals and sit on a phone book just to see over the dash That's probaly why I smashed my car up in a parking lot I'm just not a very good driver.

McVette