Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default NorCal breakfast Oct. 18th

The third Saturday is rapidly approaching and I was thinking that Castle Oaks Golf Club in Ione might be a suitable location. The weather will hopefully be good and it will be a nice drive for all of you that live in Elk Grove, Folsom, Sacramento, Roseville, El Dorado Hills...did I forget Rescue? It will also allow me to sleep in an extra forty-five minutes on the 18th. Let me know what you think and I will contact the golf club with numbers, etc.
Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Rescue here......sounds awesome!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 347
Not Ranked     

Elk Grove here,, Sounds good!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

You know how I feel about that drive, Bob.

Set it up

Maurice
Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Folsom here. Onboard.

Hey Bob, just a thought... how about starting the actual eating part a tad later, not so early, more like "eat breakfast at 10:00". If people want to get there earlier into Ione at say 09:00/09:30 to chew the fat, they can, and/or anyone last minute doing group caravans in their local towns can meet up elsewhere for Coffee, etc.. they can sneak in last minute at 10 and still make it and eat. This seems to work better as we approach winter/cooler months... thoughts?

Danny/Tom/Ed/Alan/Dan, others...
Wanna meet at Peets again in Folsom off East Bidwell, and caravan from there, like last time, get there at 08:00, leave Peets by 08:30 and head towards Ione from there?

Last edited by decooney; 10-09-2008 at 09:04 PM..
Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane,
Those were my thoughts exactly, since it's getting a little cooler let's meet a bit later...like 9:00 am. I know Pat spoke with me about that same issue last month. After breakfast maybe people might want to cruise to the Shenandoah Valley for some wine tasting? I can point out some of the better wineries in the areas if people would like.
Bob

Last edited by Clayboy; 10-10-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: errors
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Too far for me. I will not be there.........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Ed,
Too far? Remember, the Cobra is gone. You have a Jaguar now. Hehehehehe.

Last edited by decooney; 10-10-2008 at 03:47 AM..
Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Bob-You always travel from Ione for these events, usually up here somewhere even when you didn't have a car. I'll will definitely come down there this time. I'm in for some wine tasting too!

Duane,
Count me in for the meet-up at Peets. I'm changing out my 3.73 rear end gears like we talked about at CH1 and this will be a great opportunity to try out the new ones.

John
Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good location....great roads.... reserve a spot for me!

All Sacramento area folks, caravan at Starbucks, Pavillions at 8:30AM and then leave to Castle Oaks, Ione.

Also, I like Duane's idea regarding the later start time, can we arrange it??
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, I think a good start time would be 9:00 a.m. or so in Ione...hang out and yack for a bit and then eat and possibly a drive to Shenandoah Vally after. Sound good? If the group consensus is later, I'm O.K. with that too.
Bob

Last edited by Clayboy; 10-10-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
See you at Peets then. That is great news about the gear swap. As you described your motor and car to me, you are going to be happier discovering the new benefits of the taller gearset with your motor in such a lightweight car. Not just 4th gear benefits, but wait to you see how much more usable 1st/2nd gear become, and the newly discovered "slingshot effect" as I call it, as you load that torquey motor on takeoff and coming out of 2nd into 3rd will be more fun too. And, not to mention, not having to shift immediately and so frequently like you had to do with the 3.73s now.

Did you decide on 3.25s, 3.31s, 3.42s, or 3.54s/3.55s, as I don't recall if it was a Ford or GM diff in there?

Last edited by decooney; 10-10-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Hi Duane,

I got a complete Ford 9" posi third member with a 3.00 gear ratio off of eBay for $204.00. Sean is going to check it out and install on Tuesday. What do you think of the 3.00 ratio?

John
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjmac1 View Post
Hi Duane,

I got a complete Ford 9" posi third member with a 3.00 gear ratio off of eBay for $204.00. Sean is going to check it out and install on Tuesday. What do you think of the 3.00 ratio?
John
My answer depends on a few things, and we can chat more about it on the next drive. But here is a first answer based on limited information. The wet weight of your car, the camshaft you have in it, and the ratio of your gears in your trans are also part of the equation in giving you a final answer of how it will behave. It all factors in to the final result. I've run 3.08s in my first Cobra with a Big Block (smaller than yours), and they were fun to drive in a Cobra, but can be a little questionable "at first" until you get use to it. We put 3.08s in Alans Red Arntz Cobra, and he has a wide ratio trans. It would be good to know if you have a close ratio (1-3/8) or (1-1/16th) wide ratio Toploader trans? Going from 3.7 to 3.0 is going to be a noticeable change and less noticeable on a wide ratio trans, but still very noticeable. Close ratio makes for a very long 1st gear, but many of us do it. You will notice that 1st gear is not quite as responsive as before with the 3.73s right off the line for the first split second you let out the clutch (minor) but once it starts rolling at all you will enter a whole new spectrum of time between gears through 4th, and you'll actually be able to drive your car on the freeway, longer trips, with less RPM, it will be less noisey on long trips (better on the ears), and not having to fill the tank up so quickly as before on those longer trips. Give yourself time to adjust to it and realize the new benefits.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
Ron, I think a good start time would be 9:00 a.m. or so in Ione...hang out and yack for a bit and then eat and possibly a drive to Shenandoah Vally after. Sound good? If the group consensus is later, I'm O.K. with that too.
Bob
OK will seeya

Any Sacramento area folks want to caravan to Ione .... meet ya at Starbucks at 8am...and leave at 815am...

Last edited by Bxx1; 10-11-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler, 302 with NOS
Not Ranked     

Clayboy and everyone else.
Count me in as well. Sorry I haven't been there since April. I look forward to getting back with the group.
Gary
Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

One of my favorite drives is to Ione, and Clayboy - you deserve a visit after all the miles you have driven to other 3rd Sat breakfast locations. Sadly, I didn't look at the calendar and realize it was the the 3rd Sat before I suggested to the Mrs we drive to Hope Valley and take in the Fall Colors this Saturday morning.

With regret.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4596
Not Ranked     

Sorry but Tracy and I will have to miss this one. She's pretty bummed about it since she'll be missing out on the wine tasting. Our son has a martial arts tournament in Tahoe, so we'll be there over the weekend.

Gary, good to hear from you. Was wondering where you've been.

Danny
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Man of few words says

Wow,
Two of my favorites just checked in after a long spell, looking forward to seeing you, Gary.

Phil, please post a pic of yourself to refresh my memory. See you in November.

Maurice
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Maurice,

It's been a crazy summer - after I recovered from my illness in the spring it seems I haven't been in town for more than a week at a time. Hope to see you soon buddy - maybe just meet for breakfast or lunch sometime in the very near future.

You asked for it, so here it is.

In Monterey the week before CH1 on our way to Ft Bragg

[IMG][/IMG]

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/