Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Already registered but want an SB100

My Cobra has been on the road for almost 2 years now without an SB100. I am assuming that one can be added after the fact. Do I need any paperwork or do I just take my Reg down to the DMV. I stopped in the Vacaville DMV today to ask and they looked at me like I had horns and a tail. Does anyone know if any of the DMV offices around solano/napa county have experience or do I need to go hit them all.?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

How was the car originally titled in CA? If there was no fraud involved, then you should start the SB100 process, as recently detailed here in another thread.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's titled as a 2007 SPCNS..... No fraud involved... I guess I just need to find an office that is in the know then.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your title states SPCNS, then you're done. Someone has already done the SB100 process for this vehicle. Do you see a BAR sticker in the engine compartment?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I built and registered the car myself.. I had to take it to the BAR to get it smogged and I have to smog it every 2 years because of that do I not?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, 331 roller/stroker
Not Ranked     

Yes. As I understand it, SPCNS and SB100 are 2 different things.

Registered as an SPCNS just means its a specially constructed vehicle.

SB100 is one of the coveted 500 every year that allows you to smog it by the replicated year; i.e. it only has to meet the smog requirements of 1965 for example, meaning it essentially does not need to be smogged.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillington View Post
Yes. As I understand it, SPCNS and SB100 are 2 different things.

Registered as an SPCNS just means its a specially constructed vehicle.

SB100 is one of the coveted 500 every year that allows you to smog it by the replicated year; i.e. it only has to meet the smog requirements of 1965 for example, meaning it essentially does not need to be smogged.
I have always found that interesting.. I have a 1969 block in the vehicle and yet they make me smog it.. geez...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would definitely get an SB100 certificate. I would check with the DMV and see what type of paperwork is involved since you have the VIN and title already. Then get in line at the DMV on January 2nd. I'm sure that our North Bay CC members can chime in and tell you which DMV's in the North Bay, if any, that are the most educated on the process.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

1. Onefastmustang's cobra is titled as SPCNS and the BAR determined the smog requirement by "year of block". They concluded that the small block was first introduced in 1969, so that is the year that the BAR assigned to his Cobra for smog purposes. Every two years, he needs to have his Cobra smog checked to ensure that it continues to meet the 1969 requirements.

2. The Model Year of Onefastmustangs' SPCNS is 2007, which means he first titled it in 2007 (and most probably that is the year that his build was complete). The DMV/BAR uses the Model Year to determine how often a vehicle must be smog checked. Remember only vehicles with Model Year 1975 (or 76?) and older are exempt from these biannual smog checks. Please do not confuse Model Year and the "year" used to determine smog requirements.

3. Starting in 2008, the BAR no longer will use "Year of Block" to determine the smog requirements. Onefastmustang got lucky that last year was the last year that the BAR allowed this. Moving forward, the BAR will only use Model Year or SB100 to determine smog requirements.

4. Yes, Onefastmustang can apply for a Sequence Number on Jan 2 for his existing SPCNS, and if he gets one, then he can go to the BAR and change the smog requirements of his 2007 SPCNS from biannual to lifetime exempt. It is not uncommon to make this change.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 12-16-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
1. Onefastmustang's cobra is titled as SPCNS and the BAR determined the smog requirement by "year of block". They concluded that the small block was first introduced in 1969, so that is the year that the BAR assigned to his Cobra for smog purposes. Every two years, he needs to have his Cobra smog checked to ensure that it continues to meet the 1969 requirements.

2. The Model Year of Onefastmustangs' SPCNS is 2007, which means he first titled it in 2007 (and most probably that is the year that his build was complete). The DMV/BAR uses the Model Year to determine how often a vehicle must be smog checked. Remember only vehicles with Model Year 1975 (or 76?) and older are exempt from these biannual smog checks. Please do not confuse Model Year and the "year" used to determine smog requirements.

3. Starting in 2008, the BAR no longer will use "Year of Block" to determine the smog requirements. Onefastmustang got lucky that last year was the last year that the BAR allowed this. Moving forward, the BAR will only use Model Year or SB100 to determine smog requirements.

4. Yes, Onefastmustang can apply for a Sequence Number on Jan 2 for his existing SPCNS, and if he gets one, then he can go to the BAR and change the smog requirements of his 2007 SPCNS from biannual to lifetime exempt. It is not uncommon to make this change.

Hope this helps!

It does greatly.. thank you Randy.. I actually just called the DMV and she told me I don't need to smog my car until 2011. Which is a bit of relief to me. That said do I need to fill out a Reg 343 to get the SB100. She had no clue on that. In fact she told me to go the DMV on the 5th to apply. Yeah..right..
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastmustang View Post
It does greatly.. thank you Randy.. I actually just called the DMV and she told me I don't need to smog my car until 2011. Which is a bit of relief to me. That said do I need to fill out a Reg 343 to get the SB100. She had no clue on that. In fact she told me to go the DMV on the 5th to apply. Yeah..right..
Will all of the DMV offices be open on Friday, January 2nd?

They don't have their 2009 holiday schedule listed on their website. Since Thursday is the 1st I thought they might not be open on Friday.

Update: DMV willl have regular business hours on Friday, 1/2.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-16-2008 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastmustang View Post
I have always found that interesting.. I have a 1969 block in the vehicle and yet they make me smog it.. geez...
Year of engine has nothing to do with Ca. smog requirements. Must meet smog regulations for the YEAR of COMPLETION. So, built in 2004, must meet 2004 smog regs, or get SB100 exemption.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Year of engine has nothing to do with Ca. smog requirements. Must meet smog regulations for the YEAR of COMPLETION. So, built in 2004, must meet 2004 smog regs, or get SB100 exemption.
Randy is correct for pre-2008 smog requirements.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I can't totally agree with that statement.. My engine has no smog devices from anything later than 1969.. If it had to pass at 2004 standards I would have failed, but I didn't My cert on my firewall says 1969 and outlines the requirements for that year as what I need to have.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Check out this link to the DMV. Might help.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

Terry

Last edited by tcrist; 12-18-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

I will chime in and say that I and 6 others went to Folsom, and they were schooled up on SB-100's. Make sure that you get good advice from an experienced individual about whatever DMV you use, AND GO THERE!

Roseville DMV had NO idea what an SB was (or how to find their ass with both hands for that matter) but through the grapevine, I was told about Folsom. I was in line at 10PM the night before and another guy was in front of me. We spent the night, and before 1st light, 5 other guys showed up.

Don't take it lightly if you're serious about getting one. Calif. could shut the door on SB-100 anytime and without notice. What most don't understand is that just because your car is smog exempt and may be a factory car like a Superformance, does not mean you won't get cited for excessive noise, no front plate, too low to the ground and many other vehicle code violations. Almost all Cobras exceed the legal decibel levels in Ca. and none of us run a front plate. Five of us in NorCal got stopped 2 weeks ago in the National Forrest above Sacramento and the Ranger started to cite all of us. We got out of it but there was a reason which I won’t go into.
Many cities and the state would like to put all these cars on tow truck for registration violations. A car will be towed and stored after being out of registration for 6 months. If that happens, you WILL NOT get your car out of impound until corrections are made. It could take months! Don't take any chances. Your cries won’t be heard.

Law enforcement looks at it like this.........You've been allowed to put (1of 500) completely smog illegal, noisy hot rods on the streets, and all you have to do is follow the rules. Stating you didn't know the law or didn’t keep up with the current laws will not go well for anyone.

I'm not trying to lecture but I just want everyone to NOT have any issues with these awesome cars. I would hate to see any hot rod on a hook for a dumb reason! We’ve been handed an “E” ticket from the state. Their looking for any reason to take it back! tom
Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab5150 View Post
Don't take it lightly if you're serious about getting one. Calif. could shut the door on SB-100 anytime and without notice. What most don't understand is that just because your car is smog exempt and may be a factory car like a Superformance, does not mean you won't get cited for excessive noise, no front plate, too low to the ground and many other vehicle code violations. Almost all Cobras exceed the legal decibel levels in Ca. and none of us run a front plate. Five of us in NorCal got stopped 2 weeks ago in the National Forrest above Sacramento and the Ranger started to cite all of us. We got out of it but there was a reason which I won’t go into. Many cities and the state would like to put all these cars on tow truck for registration violations. A car will be towed and stored after being out of registration for 6 months. If that happens, you WILL NOT get your car out of impound until corrections are made. It could take months! Don't take any chances. Your cries won’t be heard.

Law enforcement looks at it like this.........You've been allowed to put (1of 500) completely smog illegal, noisy hot rods on the streets, and all you have to do is follow the rules. Stating you didn't know the law or didn’t keep up with the current laws will not go well for anyone.

I'm not trying to lecture but I just want everyone to NOT have any issues with these awesome cars. I would hate to see any hot rod on a hook for a dumb reason! We’ve been handed an “E” ticket from the state. Their looking for any reason to take it back! tom
It all boils down to time any money. License plates, quieter mufflers, height requirements, etc. are all fixable. The smog exemption is the key. Otherwise, we'll be installing Toyota Prius Hybrid engines into our Cobras.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to the DMV near my house.. The manager there was completely in the know and will be available when they open to make the call. He said mine is actually really easy to deal with since I am already registered and passed smog. All he needs is my registration with me.

Now I just need to decide what time to get up to go there.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR-4000 under construction
Send a message via AIM to Don DePontee
Not Ranked     

This is a new one, I was under the impression that once a car has been registered it's done with no looking back for the SB-100 at a later date. It would be great if it works out for you.
Don
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Get there early..............like I said in the previous post. Depending on how important it is to you, I would get there before 3:AM. I got there at 10 PM the night before only to fine another guy sleeping in front of the door ( and it wasn't a transient!)
The guidelines change every year. Who knows what might happen next year. The SB WILL disappear, it's just a matter of when! Tom