Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By eschaider
  • 1 Post By Ron61
  • 1 Post By Gaz64
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 1 Post By dblbarrel
  • 1 Post By Blue Cobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427 SC
Not Ranked     
Default WOW...who knew the PNW had some active members!

Hi all,

Newb here based out of Tacoma. Anyhow, I'm surprised/shocked to see such an active Cobra group in the Northwest given how, ahem, challenging our weather can be...especially like today!

here's the skinny...I'm faced with a pretty tough decision. My dad recently passed away and left behind his NAF 427 SC kit to me. It's seen some better days, but has some pretty solid bones...ie...427FE big block with a 2x4 set-up...polished jag rear end, 4 speed, halibrand knock-offs, etc... I need to decide whether I keep this...or just let another enthusiast enjoy the piss out of it...more than I would.

Anyhow, if there are any local gearheads in the area and would like to offer some insight, I'd love to meet up and see what you guys have to say about my conundrum. That being said, I look forward to meeting you guys.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
...I'm faced with a pretty tough decision. My dad recently passed away and left behind his NAF 427 SC kit to me ... I need to decide whether I keep this...or just let another enthusiast enjoy the piss out of it...more than I would ...
Lets see, I think this is soluble using only four function math.

If you could enjoy it at, lets say an 87.4% level and another enthusiast could enjoy it at, lets say a 104.6% level — well I guess the numbers speak for themselves ...

Ed
Fozzie likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I have to agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Lets see, I think this is soluble using only four function math.

If you could enjoy it at, lets say an 87.4% level and another enthusiast could enjoy it at, lets say a 104.6% level — well I guess the numbers speak for themselves ...

Ed
My Dad built kit Cobra's and classic mustangs from the 80's until his recent passing. I can't lie, driving some classics (and a kit Cobra from time to time) in high school was a heavenly experience not many get to have.

Unfortunately, I'm in my 40's now and I've got my own little wee ones, (8-9 yr olds) so most of my time is spent helping them chase their activities. While the kit is not a garage queen, it can still hold it's own with a little blood, sweat, & elbow grease!

Like you said, cars like these should be in the hands of people who truly enjoy them...
Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fozzie,

I am very familiar with you area and the rain problem. When I came back from Korea, it seems that was 100 years ago, I spent my remaining months in the service at Ft. Lewis. I had some job offers in the Seattle area but that continual rain was a little to much for me. That being said we have a member over on our site that worked at Boeing and he had a Cobra and enjoyed it when he could. But when he retired he moved to Arizona.

If you think you and the kids would enjoy the car then let them work with you on it. If it is going to be to much then sell it and use the money for something that you would enjoy. Whatever you decide I wish you the bast.

Ron
Fozzie likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
My Dad built kit Cobra's and classic mustangs from the 80's until his recent passing. I can't lie, driving some classics (and a kit Cobra from time to time) in high school was a heavenly experience not many get to have.

Unfortunately, I'm in my 40's now and I've got my own little wee ones, (8-9 yr olds) so most of my time is spent helping them chase their activities. While the kit is not a garage queen, it can still hold it's own with a little blood, sweat, & elbow grease!

Like you said, cars like these should be in the hands of people who truly enjoy them...
I gave my Dad a hand many times from a young age, about 7 years old.
He continued to teach me many things, then I became a mechanic.
Nothing gave me more of a buzz than to have him asking me for my help or opinion. I was now teaching him things he never knew.

If your kids show any interest, then consider keeping it as a restoration.

Gary
Fozzie likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Kit

Sounds like you are looking all ways to either enjoy, working, and driving the car. If you decide you would like to send it on its way let me know. I am located in Port Orchard and have been searching for another cobra. It is just an option for you to consider. One of many. thanks..
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum2 View Post
Sounds like you are looking all ways to either enjoy, working, and driving the car. If you decide you would like to send it on its way let me know. I am located in Port Orchard and have been searching for another cobra. It is just an option for you to consider. One of many. thanks..
skibum2,

It's beginning to look that way...I have too many projects of my own going on. Send me an IM with your contact info and I can share some information with you. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Hey guy's I'm in Port Orchard too, And had a get together up at Old School Garage last week with some Cobra buddies, To look over my car, We have a get together coming up in May 12, in Sequim, But would love to see you before that. Fozzie, Skibum2 I have lots to share you two. PM me. Cheers Tom. Joe at the shop can look your car over for the both of you, as he cares for other real Cobra's & reproduction's, as he finishing mine now.
Fozzie likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Anything I can do to help, Fozzie. I'm here for you, as you know the rest of the club is too. I would love to see your dad's car. If I didn't already have mine, I would be a interested party. Didn't realize you were in Tacoma. Tom.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

The NAFs were good cars, I drove one for 13 years, just sold it.
Good luck with your decision.
Fozzie likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblbarrel View Post
The NAFs were good cars, I drove one for 13 years, just sold it.
Good luck with your decision.
That's great to hear! When my dad chose it to make his demo car (his 5th or 6th kit cobra at the time) he knew what he was looking for by then and really set it up the right way.

I wish I could post pics of it, because I think a lot of you would appreciate everything from tip-to-tail. If I recall correctly, the NAF kits were pretty stout in the late 80's & 90's. And let's be honest, compared to most kits out there, the look of the NAF kits do a pretty good job mimicking the real thing!

As for my decision, I firmly believe I'm going to sell it...hopefully to the right buyer! I'm still keeping my dad's mustang fastback, so I'm not running away from the car hobby right away!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks Marc, for the pictures, I don't know how to down load them from my Email, if someone can tell me how , I'll post them here, (remember I'm old, so bear? bare? with me). Yea, lets get your dad's car up here, (Hopefully the carrier I sent you, can do it for a reasonable price) and we'll go from there. I know Skibum2 has first choice but my friend is interested too. We'll get it in the right hands so it can continue to make memories for it next owner. Talk to you soon, Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-17-2018 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: spell'in
Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 427 S/C, Full Roller 429ci Super Cobra Jet, RHP Flowed BlueT & RHP Cam, CompCarbs, AirGap, V12 E-Type Jaguar F+R, 4SBBTL
Not Ranked     

Foz,

I'm sorry for the your loss of your father. I suggest you do as your heart feels.

Welcome either way to Club Cobra.
Kevin
Fozzie likes this.

Last edited by Blue Cobra; 04-21-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Old 04-21-2018, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sadly I must pass on this. A house I have been watching came on the market, I made an offer and it was accepted.. I am in the paperwork process now.

Last edited by skibum2; 04-21-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum2 View Post
Sadly I must pass on this. A house I have been watching came on the market, I made an offer and it was accepted.. I am in the paperwork process now.
Congrats on the house. Now begins the fun of remodeling and making it your own!