Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By olddog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wedding Getaway Car

My name is Major Bill Groth and I am an Active Duty Air Force pilot stationed overseas. My fiancee and I used to live in Seattle and are coming back to get married in the area on September 15th. I am looking for an AC Ford Cobra (replica) to use as our "getaway car" to drive from our wedding ceremony on Mercer Island to our reception in North Bend. Monetary compensation-wise, I'm happy to pay $500 for this opportunity, or can take you for a flight in my aerobatic airplane in the Denver, CO, area if that is desired instead. Peace of mind compensation-wise, I'm happy to provide personal references from an Air Force squadron commander I have flown for or charter jet chief pilot I have flown with. I would of course introduce myself over the phone then in person before the wedding. I know this is a tall request and along the lines of permitting a stranger to care for one's baby. I do, however, have a great respect for performance machinery, and a Cobra would make our wedding even more special as I hope to own one once settled down. Thank you if you're able to help or connect me with someone who may.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you don't get a taker, there is a ERA FIA for rent 24 miles from West Bend.
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/wa/sea...y-cobra/408530

A lot safer with no side pipe leg snake bites to put you in the dog house day 1.

PS. Thank you for your service.

Last edited by spdbrake; 08-11-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the suggestion and kind words, spdbrake. I checked into that option before posting and it is unfortunately already booked for the afternoon of my wedding.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by groth61 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion and kind words, spdbrake. I checked into that option before posting and it is unfortunately already booked for the afternoon of my wedding.
Hi Bill,

If something else doesn't come up, this may be a longshot, but maybe worth a try. If the person reserving Brooke's Turo Cobra on that day is only renting it for say a day (vs like a week long planned trip), it may be easy enough for them to change their day with some reasonable motivation.

For example, asking Brooke if he could offer them that another potential renter (you) is willing to buy them 2 days rental if they give up that one day on behalf of your wedding day which is understandably not very flexible. The $275/day rental for 2 days, at $550, is close the the $500 you were willing to pay anyway.

It seems a car like that ERA, which I assume is very reliable in a Cobra, is a pretty good choice.

I wish you the best of luck with everything on your special day!

Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 08-11-2018 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Spacing
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent -

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't see an option on the Turo site for contacting the owner of a vehicle prior to renting, so I've submitted a request to Turo seeking how to do so. We'll see what shakes out.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Major Groth,

I, and I think most of the people on this site, have the utmost respect for the servicemen and women of this country. I think that is the reason no one has said anything negative. I know that the US Government trusts you with a multi million dollar aircraft, and you have it all. Good skills, reaction time, a quick mind, and good decision making abilities to mention a few, however the government has put a lot of time and money into training you. I would be negligent if I didn't give you a few warnings and tips on a Cobra. Not to be mean or negative or rain on your parade, but to keep everyone safe. It may sound condescending, but it is not. I am not superior or any better than the next guy.

A Cobra has more power to weight ratio than likely any car you have ever driven and a shorter wheel base to boot (90"). They have more power than you can hook to the road. With a short wheel base, if you let the rear end slide very far sideways, it will come back too fast for you to catch it. It will do a 360 so fast you will not believe it happened, assuming you are still alive at this point. I know most all of the skills it takes to handle this car, yours are superior to mine, but I do not attempt to push this car, as I have no ego problems. I outgrew that decades ago. So be warned these cars are very dangerous and do not assume you can handle it without a fair amount of practice and experience. The roads are no place to learn what these cars can do. You didn't learn to fly in one day, don't think you can master a Cobra in one day either. Respect the car for what it is, raw rugged unrefined power. Do not make your bride a widow on her wedding day, and do not kill her trying to impress her. That would be a tragedy that know one wants.

These cars are hard to get into and out of. The side pipes are very hot. Unless the side pipes are cold, if she has on a wedding dress, you are going to need several people to keep the dress from the pipes. When she gets out, and the pipe will be hot, again several people to keep the dress from the pipes. Side pipes will burn skin in an instant. Many experienced owners have been burned. You cannot take the pipes too seriously.

Best wishes on the wedding and the rest of your life. I hope your wish to own one of these cars comes true some day. Thank you for your service and may God keep you safe.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Maybe just have a cobra for some wedding photos and drive something else.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Maybe a Shelby GT350 or GT500 which would far easier getting into/out of especially in wedding attire.
And you wouldn't have the flammable rayon wedding dress + side exhaust issue.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350

Last edited by CSX 4133; 08-12-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Old 08-12-2018, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Olddog -

Thank you for looking out and being a good steward--no condescension taken. You're right, a Cobra is a unique machine with uncommon capability that demands respect, maturity, and judgment. I want to be clear that my intention is not to be anywhere near the limits of a Cobra's performance for this brief event--I care too much for my future wife and someone else's prized possession to do otherwise. My request is purely to make a memory in what I regard as the highest in class and style. I am an aerobatic aircraft owner, am fortunate to be handed the keys of several friends' similar aircraft from time to time, and know first-hand the importance of caring for another's machine. For what it's worth, I have also been fortunate to have experience in a Corvette Z06 and on several high-performance motorcycles, such as a Ducati 1098S, MV Agusta F4 1000, and Yamaha R1. Additionally, the community I'm in work-wise has sent me to several driving courses, which include, among other things, proficiency in keeping a vehicle in control while it is at its limits--something I won't approach needing on my wedding day. Thanks for your advice. If I wasn't based overseas right now I'd probably own a Cobra already. I look forward to hopefully joining your community someday.

Best,

Bill
Old 08-12-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony and Steven -

Thank you for your responses and suggestions.

Bill