Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   NW Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/)
-   -   Tight Fit/Pedal Relocation (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/145015-tight-fit-pedal-relocation.html)

Dcalla 07-16-2021 06:21 PM

Tight Fit/Pedal Relocation

Hello , I'm new to the club and just bought a replica American Legend 67 Cobra.
It is a tight fit in the drivers compartment and the pedals are very close together , are there any relocation kits out there i can look at , ? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm 5'11 .seat is all the way back as well .
Thanks Dave

dwathencars 07-18-2021 05:26 AM

I’m 6’4” and always have this problem in all my cars, and since I intend to keep driving fun cars I’ve tried many “fixes”. Some things I’ve done:
-set the pedal height as low as reasonably possible. This reduces the cylinder stroke so be sure the system is in fine condition. Make the brake and clutch pedal level.
-modify the seat track to move the seat rearward - even 1/2 inch helps.
-take some padding out of the seat bottom and back. This can really help.
-swap to a smaller diameter steering wheel. Helps give space for your leg when switching pedals. Makes steering when stopped difficult - wife may notice this….
-modify the actual pedals for more room. My XK120 has bottom hinge pedals, and I’ve installed brake and clutch pedal arms that are reshaped for space.
Good luck! Dave

twobjshelbys 07-18-2021 08:04 AM

Driving shoes.

saki302 07-19-2021 08:32 PM

When I had my factory five, I had to wear wrestling shoes or driving shoes as the gas and brake pedals were way too close together (mind you, I wear size 11, my feet aren't huge).

I can drive the superformance with almost any shoes now, except boots or wide slippers.

-Dave

twobjshelbys 07-19-2021 10:58 PM

To make a long story short, the overall re-engineering and labor to modify the existing car means it's probably cheaper to trade for a different car with better fit

t walgamuth 07-20-2021 02:55 AM

I've done a lot of work on my VSE on pedal arrangment. I have sawed off an edge, added a solid block to one, heated and bent another. In my Formula Fords I have sawed off an edge at an angle to allow left foot braking. Adjusting the height will sometimes work.

The pedals have to be just right, especially if you are autocrossing or tracking the car. If you adjust your feet positions to turn or stop and your foot catches on a pedal or another foot you can be off the track in a blink. I can tell you it is very embarrassing scattering corner workers when things went awry.

I have some old leather sneaker style shoes which I have modified too, sawing off the edges and champhering them. This process is not all that expensive but it will take some money but mostly you have to think and then install and cut and fit until it works.

I ordered a new pedal cluster to use in the VSE but it didn't work and I sent it back. It is tricky business.

I went through a similar process on my steering wheel. Different diameters....I have a specially made 3/8" spacer. The cockpit in the cobra is very snug with no room for your left elbow except tight against your ribs. I wondered how the racers did it back in the day and if you check the old pictures you just very seldom see the elbow anyplace else....if its a fast car you learn to drive it.

....and I am not a really big guy....5' 8 and about 199#

As far as 2shelbys idea of trading rather than fixing....well, if I were buying today I would have a real specific list of things to check before purchasing as noted by another person, a half inch here or there can make a big difference.

t walgamuth 02-26-2022 03:57 PM

I just noticed I put in I weigh 299....actually it is 199.