Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By t walgamuth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Tight Fit/Pedal Relocation

Hello , I'm new to the club and just bought a replica American Legend 67 Cobra.
It is a tight fit in the drivers compartment and the pedals are very close together , are there any relocation kits out there i can look at , ? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm 5'11 .seat is all the way back as well .
Thanks Dave
Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby, 1964 CSX2367, fully restored, I'm the second owner, SAAC Div 1 Premiere 2003&2012
Not Ranked     

I’m 6’4” and always have this problem in all my cars, and since I intend to keep driving fun cars I’ve tried many “fixes”. Some things I’ve done:
-set the pedal height as low as reasonably possible. This reduces the cylinder stroke so be sure the system is in fine condition. Make the brake and clutch pedal level.
-modify the seat track to move the seat rearward - even 1/2 inch helps.
-take some padding out of the seat bottom and back. This can really help.
-swap to a smaller diameter steering wheel. Helps give space for your leg when switching pedals. Makes steering when stopped difficult - wife may notice this….
-modify the actual pedals for more room. My XK120 has bottom hinge pedals, and I’ve installed brake and clutch pedal arms that are reshaped for space.
Good luck! Dave
1953 XK120 roadster
1966 Etype roadster
1971 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Driving shoes.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

When I had my factory five, I had to wear wrestling shoes or driving shoes as the gas and brake pedals were way too close together (mind you, I wear size 11, my feet aren't huge).

I can drive the superformance with almost any shoes now, except boots or wide slippers.

-Dave
Old 07-19-2021, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

To make a long story short, the overall re-engineering and labor to modify the existing car means it's probably cheaper to trade for a different car with better fit
Old 07-20-2021, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I've done a lot of work on my VSE on pedal arrangment. I have sawed off an edge, added a solid block to one, heated and bent another. In my Formula Fords I have sawed off an edge at an angle to allow left foot braking. Adjusting the height will sometimes work.

The pedals have to be just right, especially if you are autocrossing or tracking the car. If you adjust your feet positions to turn or stop and your foot catches on a pedal or another foot you can be off the track in a blink. I can tell you it is very embarrassing scattering corner workers when things went awry.

I have some old leather sneaker style shoes which I have modified too, sawing off the edges and champhering them. This process is not all that expensive but it will take some money but mostly you have to think and then install and cut and fit until it works.

I ordered a new pedal cluster to use in the VSE but it didn't work and I sent it back. It is tricky business.

I went through a similar process on my steering wheel. Different diameters....I have a specially made 3/8" spacer. The cockpit in the cobra is very snug with no room for your left elbow except tight against your ribs. I wondered how the racers did it back in the day and if you check the old pictures you just very seldom see the elbow anyplace else....if its a fast car you learn to drive it.

....and I am not a really big guy....5' 8 and about 199#

As far as 2shelbys idea of trading rather than fixing....well, if I were buying today I would have a real specific list of things to check before purchasing as noted by another person, a half inch here or there can make a big difference.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 02-26-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-26-2022, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I just noticed I put in I weigh 299....actually it is 199.