Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   NW Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/)
-   -   2004 Summer Trip--Time to Plan (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/nw-cobra-club/48649-2004-summer-trip-time-plan.html)

Walt Tomsic 12-31-2003 11:32 AM

2004 Summer Trip--Time to Plan

Fellow road warriors...

Thought it was time to bring this topic back to the fore... the "Summer 2004 Road Trip" south along the Oregon coast then east to Bend. At last check, the consensus seemed to be that the option of either a longer (farther south) or a shorter loop was a matter of individual choice but we were all going to rendezvous at the same time in Bend for a few days. I mentioned that I would handle motel arrangements and plan loop drives and a BBQ at our new digs. Do I have this right?

Question now is... when? What days should I mention when checking on accomodations? Fred H. is kind of the point guy for the drive so... "Fred (or anyone else with an opinion) what did you have in mind?"

the elusive Waldo aka "CSX 1999"

Keith Vincent 12-31-2003 12:51 PM

3" of snow, lets go now

Fred Hamilton 01-02-2004 07:33 PM

Since we have no jump in and take charge lets go with this.
We will leave Federal Way on the 12th of July and we will get to Bend on the 16th and return to Federal Way on the 18th. I moved it back a week so Perry and Bish can make the trip. Getting reservations on the coast in July may be a job in its self. We need to get a GOOD head count so we can do some planning.
These are the couples that have said yes
Fred & Brenda
Steve & Penny
Dennis & Kathy
Jake & Kim
Kevin & Di
Perry & Bev
Craig
Mark & Rita
Bish & Lady Di (if we made it the 18th)
Since I have never travel down the coast I would like some inputs as to how far can we travel in a day and still see the spots and not make it a 12 hour day.
If you have a ideal lets hear it.................................
If you plan on making the trip lets hear it................
If need be we can leave on the 12th Monday instead of the 11th..
If you are going straigth to Bend let Walt KNOW.......

With 3" of snow on the ground its hard to get in the mood about driving the Cobra but it will be July before you know it.

Walt you can get me a room for the 16th and 17th make it a smoking room.

Fred H

Scott S 01-03-2004 12:50 PM

If I get mine finished by then I would love to go along for the OR portion.

Walt Tomsic 01-03-2004 12:55 PM

Fred,

thanks for taking the initiative. I have two places in mind for places to stay. One is a Best Western Motel located about three miles out of Bend proper on the road to Mt. Bachelor... a nice quiet spot with forest on three sides and adjacent hiking trails... nice pool and hot tub... should be in the $80/night range (I'll confirm).

The other option is to go with Sun River vacation cabin rentals that will accomodate two to three couples. By the time you divide the cost, it would be about the same as the motel. Both the motel and Sun River are great jumping off points for loop cruises. Sun River is a world class resort, 15 miles south of Bend with all kinds of shopping, dining and recreational options.

The down sides to Sun River are that it's crowded with tourists at that time of year and the rental units would be scattered in different locations around the resort. Also, booking places might be a bit more complicated than the motel what with pairing couples up and the possibility that people might have to cancel thus affecting the rate others would have to pay. Given that, I'd recommend the motel. It's also less of a hassel to get to (and back from) our place and the BBQ. We can always include a stop at Sun River on a loop drive.

What say you... shall we just go with the motel?

Walt

Fred Hamilton 01-03-2004 01:02 PM

I'm sure there are going to be some that may need to cancel at the last moment so I would just go with the Best Western.

Fred Hamilton 01-03-2004 02:51 PM

Perry

If you can make the trip this year you are welcome to spend the night at the house.

To any one that is planning to make the trip from Fed Way just email me and I will add you to the list. Thiat way we can keep a good count.

Walt Tomsic 01-03-2004 04:39 PM

To all...

If anyone is planning on an early arrival in Bend (before the 16th) let me know so I can plan some pre- main invasion activities.

Fred,

Keep me posted on the number of people planning to go so I can mention a head count when I call the motel.

Thanks!

Walt

HighPlainsDrifter 01-03-2004 04:49 PM

Hi Fred,
Thanks, that would be great to stay closer, it's a early morning for us.
My son Dan got engaged over the holidays, so I said NOT to book the wedding for that week !:D
There are lots of places to stop along the Oregon coast ,depends how much sightseeing/shopping the Wimmin want to do.
Cannon beach
Lincoln city
Chocolate factory
Mertlewood shops
old town in Newport
sea lion caves
Florence[old town]
Sand Dunes[buggies]
Coos Bay -JCF
sunset beach [rose garden/sea lion outlook]
Rouge river
Redwoods
Oregon caves national monument

Could spend an easy 3 days along the coast or do some inland runs to a winery on the way back? Whatever people want to see is fine.
Planning a cobra trip sure brightens up the snowy day!
Perry.

:MECOOL:

M & M 01-04-2004 08:21 AM

Oregon Portion

Happy New Year Everyone!

If you would tell me what part of Oregon you will cross into from the Washington side I would be happy to give you my opinion for a travel route down the coast and over to Bend. I feel it would be to try and cover as much ground and sites as possible without feeling too rushed.

Walt,

I have not been to Sunriver for a few years but I can imagine that congestion continues to grow. Stick with the motel! BTW, where are those gallery pictures?

Any other Oregonians interested??? Speak up!

Be Safe,
Mike

Stephen Rauch 01-04-2004 03:23 PM

If the dates work I'll come along. I probably won’t do the full 7 days but instead opt for a couple of days in Bend or Cannon Beach and head back to Seattle.

Fred Hamilton 01-04-2004 07:47 PM

Mike

The plan is to take I-5 down to Longview make a right and head for Astoria making as many stops along the way as needed and spend the first night in Lincoln or there about depending on room avalibilty.

The second night will be in Gold Beach.

Day three is planned for a jet boat trip up the Rogue River.

Day Four will be spent in the Redwoods,and return to Gold Beach

Day five we will take hiway 595 out of Gold Beach that will take us to Grants Pass and onto Medford and then into Bend.

Friday and Saturday in Bend and then back home on Sunday.

These plans are not in concret as I made two changes as I was typing this. I am open to all ideas but I really want to stay off the Freeways as much as possible, and keep from back tracking.

This is what I have on the Jet Boat trip.

With ten or more we can get the group rate.
64 mile Scenic trip Leave at 2:30 PM back at 8:00 PM dinner up river. $ 29.00 (cost of meal not included) By taking the PM trip it will give the LADIES time to shop in the AM.

I think if you were to talk to anyone that went on the trip last year you will hear that we made many stops and it wasn't a driving marathon, I hope to make this the same kind of Cobra vacation. My wife has the same tools as any other wife so I have learned to plan many stops.
If anyone has questions now is the time to start asking.

I will post the route when I have it complete.

Perry
Does that mean you are a YES for the trip.

HighPlainsDrifter 01-04-2004 10:03 PM

TRIP

Fred,
Yes we are good to go. You have mail.
Perry.

DvlzFng 01-10-2004 11:52 PM

Fred,
You can count me in.
-Craig

Fred Hamilton 01-11-2004 02:07 PM

Craig

Glad to hear you will be making the trip, now if you can get your Old Man to get his back side off the Harley and pry it into the Cobra and come along. Maybe we didn't give him enough planning time.

Keith Vincent 01-13-2004 05:57 PM

I resemble that remark

Walt Tomsic 01-13-2004 06:16 PM

To all...

I've contacted the Best Western, Entrada Lodge in Bend about accomodations this Summer. July is one of their peak times so I was advised that reservations should be made 60 - 90 days out. That means between mid-April to mid-May if not sooner. The fellow I spoke with mentioned that quite a few vintage car clubs book there in the Summer. They don't do "group" discount packages per se but their normal rates are quite reasonable given how pleasant the place is. I was told it would be right around $80/night for a room with single queen size bed and they do have a few units that permit smoking (attn: Fred).

The number to call is 541-382-4080.

Walt

Fred Hamilton 01-21-2004 06:09 PM

In Gold Beach I have 12 rooms reserved at the Econo Lodge for the 13,14,&15 of July, some are $60.00 plus tax, and the some are at $80.00 plus tax these are on the second floor with an ocean view.

Walt has posted the phone number for the Best Western in Bend
541-382-4080 I have not reserved any rooms there except mine.
This will be for the 16th and 17th of July. For those that are planning on being in Bend you need to make your reservations so as the place is filling up. $ 62.10 with AARP discount plus tax.
Lincoln City This is where I need some help from you fellow Oregon traverlers. If any one knows of a place in or near L City give me a # so I can call. Newport has rooms so we may spend the first night there.
Econo and the Best Western have a 24 hr canx policy so it will be easy to back out if needed.
Any input will be appricated.

Zderf 01-22-2004 07:20 PM

AARP Discount?

WTF?

Fred......

Zderf
:JEKYLHYDE

Fred Hamilton 01-22-2004 08:21 PM

Zderf

OK I give up,

Fred