• 1 Post By 1985 CCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default CSX3356 for sale

Browsing today turned this car up for sale on Auto Trader Classics.
The stuff you find by accident!

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...obra/101487200

For $1.3M. Save the hassle of dealing with auction companies
Bruce.huling likes this.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I don't know - something didn't look right. Either that or it was the photos. Does this car have some sort of funky "story" to it?
Old 07-01-2021, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I sure don't like that angle iron poorly welded onto the lower front control arms. Reminds me of a cheap repair job. I can't imagine McClusky doing that and he did some restoration work on it at some point!

Larry
Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

I bet Tony would Know! twobjshelbys
Old 07-01-2021, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I know nothing

... about this one. But Woodlands Texas sure rings a bell.

Certainly someone has the book...
Old 07-01-2021, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarbp View Post
Save the hassle of dealing with auction companies
Probably not, in fact, for cars like this the major auctions get you lots more press and coverage. Although on a car like this, word of mouth probably is just as much a factor.

Consignment shops get the same or more than the auctions on the sale. Not saving any money and not getting the exposure that a major auction would get.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 07-01-2021 at 05:57 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Google it up “CSX3356”
Old 07-02-2021, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Obviously a throughly done car but some odd thing on it with all the zip ties and multiple piece brake line runs - were original sway bars that spindly?
Old 07-02-2021, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Larry

That is the way it was done..... Original cars are not what you may think.
Welds were fast and furious. Comp cars used the angle iron like this as it adds strength to the tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I sure don't like that angle iron poorly welded onto the lower front control arms. Reminds me of a cheap repair job. I can't imagine McClusky doing that and he did some restoration work on it at some point!

Larry
Old 07-02-2021, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Larry

That is the way it was done..... Original cars are not what you may think.
Welds were fast and furious. Comp cars used the angle iron like this as it adds strength to the tubes.
Could be Jeff but I've never seen angle iron added to control arms on original cars and this isn't a comp car. It was a street car somewhat modified to SC specs prior to 1980. McClusky added to the SC look when he did some restoration on it later. No history of competition use. Just looks cheap and junky IMO.

Larry
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Larry

It does look cheap and job-lot but that was how SAI modified them for strength in their facility then. Was not my call as I was a shimmer in my fathers eye back then.
I have seen this first hand on both original S/C and comp cars and also modified street 3000's. I had the same thought the first time I saw this mod as its a bit shop class but seems it worked...

STD treatment for race, its true and yes this is a street car however clearly modified to race spec. Countless changes and not a conours street car.
LMH likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 07-02-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-03-2021, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

That car is a hard pass from me.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Typical history, just changed over years.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2021, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been awhile, Jeff. Hope Max is doing well. In reference to the angle iron applied to the front lower control arms in a Cobra 427. The reason that there appears to be a discrepancy in comments, knowledge, and experience from other posters as to the originality and quality of craftsmanship is as follows --- judge for yourself. I have discussed originality relative to time in the past, won't go over it again. First NO Cobra 427 ever left AC cars with angle iron applied period. I have numerous photos of the chassis of the 30-- to 3053 cars on a rack in England. Many different cars. Multiple views clearly showing the entire front suspension. Street cars the answer is obvious. Next, there was a technical service bulletin / blueprint issued by Shelby American detailing the modification of the front lower control arms with the angle iron. I have to check the designer and date on that blueprint. Some read the bulletin ,some ignored it, some installed the angle iron. Does that make it original? Could it have been installed at or after it left Shelby American. Is it original now? What about the delivering dealer installing it at the dealership before delivery. Came back after delivery. Is it now still original? And finally addressing the poor quality welds. The blueprint clearly shows a very high quality "stack of dimes" welding process. As all of you know the quality of welding can be somewhat variable. In addition the blueprints show some intricate cutouts that would have taken some care and desire to accomplish. Some followed those details. Some fabricators- technicians didn't. When I purchased my car in 1973 the angle iron was there on the arms, and the blueprint was in a stack of boxes of documents and literature that I received with my car from the original owner who had held back from the second owner. Some day all that stuff should be scanned. Hopefully that clears up the angle iron controversies. Everyone have a happy holiday. Bob
Old 07-04-2021, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

The slightly infamous Carter Gette did the angle iron reinforcement on several street 427s (including mine, CSX 3121) in the 1970s. Along with teflon bushings, it seemed to tighten things up a bit, but I still wish that I had known more about four wheel alignment and corner balancing in those days.