• 1 Post By xb-60
  • 1 Post By Dan Case
  • 1 Post By Tom Kirkham
  • 3 Post By Dan Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Ride height for 289FIA

Does anyone know of any published information available describing the correct ride height (ie measurements ) for 289FIA or 289USRRC cars?
Also needed is correct track information.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Glen,

My FIA's track is 53" front and rear. That should be the correct track. Cannot give ride height as mine is lowered like the competition cobras and you can barely get a low profile jack underneath the front.

Jim
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

FIA registration #115 in 1964 (all figures in metric)
front track = 137.27 cm
rear track = 139.7 cm
wheel base = 228 cm
ground clearance = 120 mm
racing weight less fuel = 865 kg

Last edited by Dan Case; 09-22-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Old 09-22-2020, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Dan, once again, thank you for the information.

Cheers,
Glen
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Dan, once again, thank you for the information.

Cheers,
Glen
You are welcome
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:03 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

A conversion for the metrically challenged:

front track = 137.27 cm = 54.04 in
rear track = 139.7 cm = 55.00 in
wheel base = 228 cm = 89.76 in
ground clearance = 120 mm = 4.72 in
racing weight less fuel = 865 kg = 1,903 lbs
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a few questions concerning track width. I assume this is a measurement to the center of the tires. Is this correct? And the track width depends on having a certain width of wheel with the proper offset. Wheels with a different backspacing equals different track width. Is this correct? I also assume ride height also depends on how tall the tire is. If a taller tire is installed and nothing else is changed the ride height is raised. So without knowing the tire dia the ride height number is meaningless. Is this correct?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
I have a few questions concerning track width. I assume this is a measurement to the center of the tires. Is this correct? And the track width depends on having a certain width of wheel with the proper offset. Wheels with a different backspacing equals different track width. Is this correct? I also assume ride height also depends on how tall the tire is. If a taller tire is installed and nothing else is changed the ride height is raised. So without knowing the tire dia the ride height number is meaningless. Is this correct?
Correct about the parts. Where to measure is another subject as one would need to know where any given technical inspector would measure. Data submitted was for a standard set of all the parts you mention. Even if the same parts were available few would use them for all kinds of reasons in this century. The forms cover lots of technical topics but they are not all encompassing and either have some on purpose misdirections or errors (bogus Ford part number for example for made just for endurance racing part, i.e. nothing a walk in customer could get at a Ford dealer). Then there were the optional parts of all kinds submitted in list form.

Cobras were registered with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) race sanctioning organization soon after their creation. Then the cars were changed for many reasons and revised submittals were made. To have a hard copy of every submittal and revision or parts list means a nice little book of papers and if you have the FIA submittal for the 427 Cobra it’s a little thicker. Some collections included fairly good size hard copies of the pictures submitted.

The only good I know the original forms have is for time frame restorations of original race cars. Example: It does little good to know that the standard static compression ratio (SCR) was listed as 12:1. How many 1960s specification multiple carburetor and ignition points engines with that SCR are going to be put in cars mostly driven on the street with modern fuels with ethanol in them? Does knowing that the STANDARD main fuel jet for a 48 IDM carburetor set up by Shelby's works was a "165" do any good these days for street driven cars?

On ride height. Most of the time works race cars were higher off the ground than street cars. Street tires by mid 1963 were 25.48” outer diameter (Our measurements of two new old stock Cobra specific tires mounted on stock rims.). The listed optional street tire after summer 1963 was 26.02" in outer diameter (Our measurement of six new old stock tires with Shelby shipping labels to the customer on them.). The Speedway Specials and Stock Car Special tires were much larger in diameter. One of the Peter Brock drawings shows a 27” front tire and rear wheels normally were larger in every way. There was a series of photos made comparing a new summer 1963 Le Mans Replica beside a current new street car from many perspectives. The race car was noticeably taller than the street car.

Last edited by Dan Case; 09-23-2020 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: add detail