Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Originality Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/)
-   -   Bought this cobra need help identifying its origin (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/138185-bought-cobra-need-help-identifying-its-origin.html)

Carmotive 03-19-2017 10:16 AM

Bought this cobra need help identifying its origin

4 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a replica cobra with very little history. It is missing the decal from the company that built it. There has many characteristics that make it unique. I am hoping someone here can help me identify where it was built. It seems to be a early 80s build. It has a 427 with Weber 8 stack. Custom billet air cleaners. Brass inserts in the valve covers. Brass bumpers. Brass shift bezel. The gauges are from classic instruments with brass bezels. Chrome spoke knock off wheels. Electric Brake vacuum pump. Side pipes that are removable with one Alan bolt. It seems to be built extremely well and designed to actually be raced, not just a conversation piece or Sunday cruiser. It has a 8 digit assigned Arizona vin number. Any help is appreciated. I have attached as many pictures as allowed.

Carmotive 03-19-2017 10:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics

BDR0572 03-19-2017 11:16 AM

(It has a 8 digit assigned Arizona vin number) I would start there research the VIN

MaSnaka 03-19-2017 11:54 AM

Carmotive,
Welcome to the madness. What you describe as identifying details are mostly accoutrements that could have been selected by the original builder. True identifiers would be frame and suspension details, under the hood and trunk, pedal box. Someone should recognize your make.

John

Carmotive 03-19-2017 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info! I was planning on getting it on the hoist tomorrow. I will take more pics and post them.

redmt 03-19-2017 05:16 PM

Carmotive 03-19-2017 06:05 PM

If it were that easy I would not have posted.

redmt 03-19-2017 06:28 PM

Good luck with your search.

Carmotive 03-21-2017 03:31 AM

More pics

4 Attachment(s)
The block has screw in freeze plugs and cross bolted crank. The tag on frame says Copperstate 005. Any help is appreciated.

Carmotive 03-21-2017 03:39 AM

Pics

2 Attachment(s)
See pics

Buzz 03-21-2017 05:44 AM

While I don't claim to be able to recognize and identify a Corvette chassis and underpinnings, my guess based upon the apparently stretched wheelbase, near vertical windshield and heavy steel production car chassis components, is that the car is a Cobrette. Produced by a company that sold a cobra-like body conversion for C3 (and later) Corvettes. The difficult to read tag which appears to be double stamped looks like it could say Cobrette if I squint and tilt my head just right.:)

Carmotive 03-21-2017 06:01 AM

The tag says "copperstate - 005"

redmt 03-21-2017 07:01 AM

I would think that most any decent welder could tell the difference between robot welds and hand welding. hat could give you a clue as to whether or not it is a modified "factory " frame. GM has notoriously funky welds.

Buzz 03-21-2017 07:17 AM

I stand corrected on the tag, and the frame welds look pretty good to my amateur eye, so my guess could well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it probably isn't gonna be the last:LOL:

There's not much to go by in the pics, but can anybody tell what the rear suspension looks like? Looks like an IRS unit with outboard brakes so not Jaguar based.

Also - have you measured the wheelbase? Is it more than 90 inches?

Edit - One more question: Is that roll bar attached through to the frame or does it bolt directly to the body?

Tommy 03-21-2017 08:33 AM

Just an observation: Copper State is the nickname for Arizona, and the Cobrette is/was made in Arizona.

Tjd 03-21-2017 10:22 AM

Looks like a copper state cobra from the early 80s as MGB Front crossmember

redmt 03-21-2017 10:23 AM

I'm curious. Might I ask what you paid for it?

DanEC 03-21-2017 10:30 AM

I can see just enough of the rear suspension to say it looks like a late C3 Corvette IRS - after they went to the aluminum truss cross member support. It looks like coil overs have been substituted for the leaf spring. Can't be sure but the truss member and differential housing shape appear Corvette.

MOTORHEAD 03-21-2017 11:15 AM

According to Tjd, there was a "Copperstate" Cobra (obscure yes, but there are/were many Cobra builders like that) Appears to be sn 005. Google search warranted !

kris-kincaid 04-21-2017 12:56 AM

I'm not certain at all about the origin of your car but I remember Roy Hunt from the Finishline Shelby dealer telling me that in the 1980's he owned a Cobra replica company called Copperstate Cobra's.