LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Unless you have an original car, go with what looks "cooler" to your eye. To me, nothing looks as cool as my Lucas lights.

Hi Patrick,
Would you remember where you purchased your Lucas Lights ? Also anything special you had to do to fit them to your ERA , like the chrome bezel around stays the same?
Old 02-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I got them from Moss Motors, but I just went there to their page and their Lucas Tripods now don't look like the ones I got 15 years ago.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

These off of Amazon look closer to mine than the Moss ones do.
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Tri-bar.../dp/B01LFP2O0C
Old 02-08-2021, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
These off of Amazon look closer to mine than the Moss ones do.
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Tri-bar.../dp/B01LFP2O0C
Thanks Patrick,
These are sealed beams so they are what they are as far as the filament goes?
Sal
Old 02-08-2021, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think i answered my question on the sealed beam, they come with separate halogen bulbs.
But will i have to Modify the ERA housing or bucket to make them fit being that the Halogen bulb is not part of the actual light itself?
Old 02-08-2021, 04:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think so, I think they'll just drop right in to the 7" bucket.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Patrick is right. I put those in my ERA and they fit right in. Just put the separate
bulb into the lamp with the rubber boot, plug it in and insert it into the bucket
just as you would the sealed beam unit. Essentially plug and play.You may have
to fiddle a bit to get them "clocked" correctly.
sgianino likes this.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't think so, I think they'll just drop right in to the 7" bucket.
Hi Patrick,
I went to put in the new PL700, even with the trim ring fully tight the bulbs are loose...would you use a rubber shim behind the Lucas tabs or shim the trim ring against the glass of the beam?
Or are there different trim ring sizes? would that be a better bet, maybe one that is not as deep that came with the car...Wasnt sure if all trim rings where the same,
Thanks

Last edited by sgianino; 03-10-2021 at 10:24 AM..
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Hi Patrick,
I went to put in the new PL700, even with the trim ring fully tight the bulbs are loose...would you use a rubber shim behind the Lucas tabs or shim the trim ring against the glass of the beam?
Or are there different trim ring sizes? would that be a better bet, maybe one that is not as deep that came with the car...Wasnt sure if all trim rings where the same,
Thanks
It should fit without having to do any shims. I bet that's not the right trim ring. If you can't get one that fits perfectly, I would opt for which ever trimming holds the bulb the most secure. Headlights get a lot of jiggling, even if you don't think they do. If they're not securely fastened, or securely shimmed and fastened, they're going to end up pointing over in to a corn field or into oncoming traffic.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bucket that came with my ERA is plastic i believe...I cant seem to find any other retainer rings that are different enough from mine....I see the Generic Universal one from Dorman that looks like junk... but nothing that is obviously not as deep
Thats it im selling the Car
Old 03-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
The bucket that came with my ERA is plastic i believe...I cant seem to find any other retainer rings that are different enough from mine....I see the Generic Universal one from Dorman that looks like junk... but nothing that is obviously not as deep
Thats it im selling the Car
Try a rubber shim behind the tabs. I'm not sure that will work but at least it will do no harm.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Try a rubber shim behind the tabs. I'm not sure that will work but at least it will do no harm.
Thats what i was thinking, i was walking up and down every isle at the local True value mumbling odd noises...the workers asking if they could help me find something.....i just said you wouldn't understand theres this ERA with a Lucas PL700 that doesn't fit and it needs a shim....the kid thought i was soft
But i think your right Patrick, i just need a rubber shim of some sort thats about a 1/4" thick or a hair less
Old 03-11-2021, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact 427 Carbon Car
Not Ranked     

I have a set of NOS PL700headlights I bought too long ago to remember. When using them the bulbs were not reliable (FOR ME) and I never knew if the lights would work. They look cool but were more suited to a trailer car than one driven at night.
Richard
Exact427
Old 03-11-2021, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Snake View Post
I have a set of NOS PL700headlights I bought too long ago to remember. When using them the bulbs were not reliable (FOR ME) and I never knew if the lights would work. They look cool but were more suited to a trailer car than one driven at night.
Richard
Exact427
I hear ya, im thinking the same thing now.I removed Sylvania sealed beams that where dependable. I dont get a great feeling about the Lucas lights i installed....The reflectors inside the Lucas are not as "Chrome" or "Reflective" as the Sealed Sylvanias and will yellow and dull im sure in short time
Austin_Snake likes this.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Better Car Lighting in the UK have produced new copies of the PL700 headlights and designed then to use their own LED bulbs and they’re massively better than anything else currently available, I know because I’ve tried them all.
They are beautifully made and the LED bulbs are warm-white, so don’t look out of place.
You can find them here: https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/...wCat&Submit=Go

I have no association with them other than as a happy customer.
Attached Images