• 2 Post By Dan Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default License plate frames

So, where do these license plate frames fall into the various categories of originality?

Cheers
Greg
Old 06-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Or how about this one? It has different font, white reflective letters, a four bolt fastner pattern and a different mount style for the top two fasteners.

Cheers
Greg
Attached Images

Last edited by my427cobra; 06-29-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
So, where do these license plate frames fall into the various categories of originality?
Cheers
Greg
I guess that depends of what one calls original. They would not accurately be described as regular production parts I believe because most Cobras and 427 Cobras didn’t get either of them, they weren’t on the available options lists, and indeed not all the cars were finished in California. I believe most people would call them an accessory.

It has been published that Mr. Shelby directed most team cars being shipped to and from and racing in FIA events (international racing) to wear registration plates. Shelby American had quite a few of them. PR street cars sometimes used the “COBRA …” frames. The idea has been said to have been to give anybody that saw the cars, especially the competition, the impression that the very specialized race cars were street cars. You will see the “COBRA …” frames around manufacturer’s registration tags on team cars in lots of European event pictures. The HP Motors frames often got added to cars sold through that sports car dealership partially owned I believe by Mr. Shelby, it was the retail car sales dealership that most any kind of used Shelby car was processed and sold off to the public through.

Both types have had copies made to some degree of accuracy. The highly prized (based on reported sales prices) ones are wanted by people that have any kind of Shelby car that was sold to its first owner through HP Motors. Used original HP Motors ones have changed hands at very high prices. A couple of new old stock ones sold about fifteen years ago at a mind numbing cost.

Our red car was sold as a factory used car through HP Motors. I would like an original HP Motor frame but I would not spend thousand dollars to get one. (I am wary of any used frame that is not pitted, corroded on the back side, and or cracked. These things were cast in cheap pot metal and barely chrome plated. I doubt anybody had any idea somebody would want them to still be prefect several decades later.)

I have seen so many different versions of the "COBRA..." model since the 1970s I have no idea which is which anymore. I know even less about the recreated versions of the HP Motors model but I am told one is really close to what originals were like.
1985 CCX and CompClassics like this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 06-29-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 07-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're right Dan. Never thought of it as an "optional accessory" vs an "OEM part".

I guess that would apply to the AMCO windwings and sun visors too.

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I bought one of those Hi-Po frames but it would't fit under the light due to the tall part of the frame being on top.
What did you do, Dan?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You're right Dan. Never thought of it as an "optional accessory" vs an "OEM part".

I guess that would apply to the AMCO windwings and sun visors too.

Cheers
Greg
Sun visors and wind wings were regular production options and very popular. I believe but cannot prove that CSX2018 from Hugus’ shop was probably the first chassis to get them. (I hunt more information on many subjects nearly daily.) Early versions had no brand markings on them.

There was an unproven claim that for a short period of time COBRA text was silk screened by hand on visors and wings. I have no idea if that is true but I have never seen any.

The majority of parts were made by AMCO® and foil hot stamped with COBRA text. From then on wind wings stayed the same as far as I know. The sun visors did not as there were ones made and intended for Cobras in green tint and ones for most 427 Cobras in a smoke or blue tint. The smoke tint was apparently around in June 1965 as that is when we believe our red car picked up a complete 427 Cobra windscreen assembly back at Shelby American while there for repairs and modifications.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
I bought one of those Hi-Po frames but it would't fit under the light due to the tall part of the frame being on top.
What did you do, Dan?
I have not tried a reproduction frame of either type on the red car. It is hard enough to get a tag alone in the location and not have it interfere with the boot handle.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Dan. Get ready to cringe.

Take a closer look at my plate in the pic above with the "1C MFG 013" plate.

I used a license plate bracket (from Finishline I think) that bolts behind the license plate lamp.

I cut a section out of the bottom of the plate to fit over/around the top of the trunk latch and cut a small curve out of the top of the lower lip of the license plate frame to fit below the trunks latch. (You'll have to cut to fit. I used a cardboard template to start)

I slip short sections (1/2" long) of silicone rubber tubeing over the nuts on the license plate fasteners to cushion any vibration against the body.

Voila!

Cheers
Greg
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK Dan. Get ready to cringe.

Take a closer look at my plate in the pic above with the "1C MFG 013" plate.

I used a license plate bracket (from Finishline I think) that bolts behind the license plate lamp.

I cut a section out of the bottom of the plate to fit over/around the top of the trunk latch and cut a small curve out of the top of the lower lip of the license plate frame to fit below the trunks latch. (You'll have to cut to fit. I used a cardboard template to start)

I slip short sections (1/2" long) of silicone rubber tubeing over the nuts on the license plate fasteners to cushion any vibration against the body.

Voila!

Cheers
Greg
Nice work.