• 2 Post By xb-60

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     
Default Leather hood straps

I always love the look of leather straps for securing hoods on cars. Was that ever done on Cobras? Anyone have any examples, original or otherwise?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Not original to these cars....
Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

With the hoods opening as they do, I see no need for straps to hold them closed. I guess that a Cobra hood could inadvertently fly open if the car was going backward very fast, there were no latches installed, and the car hit a severe bump wilst rapidly going the forementioned ass-backwards direction.
I'm thinking if all this were to happen, popping the bonnet would be the least of your worries.

Buy a Morgan, straps probably included.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Austin Healey 100M's had forward tilt bonnet and straps were standard. That said, I've never seen a Cobra with them or an Ace for that matter. Not sure the reason.
Larry
Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I know the owner of CSX7027 had them installed but I am unaware of any Cobras in period having had this done.
As I always say, it's your car do what you like to it.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Here's 7027. Nice looking car

Cheers,
Glen
1985 CCX and lomdel like this.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Our shop has done a lot of work on that Cobra over the years, most recently replacing the fuel cell with a standard fuel tank and the "Blue Streak" tire treatment to BF Goodrich TAs.
We did not however install the leather hood strap.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My understanding of the leather bonnet straps on Healey 100Ms were required by LeMans regulations and if you look at LeMans entries from 1954, it seems all the entrants had leather retaining straps of some kind. Never saw them on a Cobra, though, and I guess the LeMans regulations changed in later years.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
My understanding of the leather bonnet straps on Healey 100Ms were required by LeMans regulations and if you look at LeMans entries from 1954, it seems all the entrants had leather retaining straps of some kind. Never saw them on a Cobra, though, and I guess the LeMans regulations changed in later years.
We used straps on our old 100-4 race car - for evil reasons. We left the straps a little loose so that the hood raised up at speed to allow air out of the engine compartment. (That probably only worked because there was no windshield.)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

cobra owners only use leather straps in the bedroom.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Quote:
....I guess the LeMans regulations changed in later years.
Hmm - the Le Mans regulations changed by the minute, depending on what the French contestants were running. Bit similar to the Monte Carlo Rally of the same period, really.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
Hmm - the Le Mans regulations changed by the minute, depending on what the French contestants were running. Bit similar to the Monte Carlo Rally of the same period, really.
When I was a kid in the early '60s I wanted to build a replica of the LeMans course for my slot cars and wrote away to the track for a map. They sent me a full entrant package with all the regs. It was about 3/8" thick of standard letter-size paper with an amazing amount of requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
We used straps on our old 100-4 race car - for evil reasons. We left the straps a little loose so that the hood raised up at speed to allow air out of the engine compartment. (That probably only worked because there was no windshield.)
My Healey 3000 was an SCCA racer and used the same idea lifting the rear of the hood for cooling. Sunbeam Tigers would do this, too.

I have to confess I'm a bit enamored of the leather strap look and added one to my Ford-powered Healey even though it wasn't a feature on the later cars like mine. And in order to add some extra cooling (and look a little more like a 100M,) I've added some louvers, too. (The mismatched paint has since been remedied)

One of my favorite quotes from Burt Levy's "Last Open Road"
when describing a Cad Allard:

"My God, what a beast that car was! The grille was nothing but a huge chromium sneer and there were scoops and vents and louvers chopped all over the place to let the heat breathe out (or cool air in, I could never figure out which) and you couldn't miss how they had the hood buttoned down with no less than five separate butterfly fasteners and two great wide leather straps, each one hefty enough to harness a prize bull. Whatever monstrous kind of motor was in there, they weren't taking any chances on it breaking out."

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Last edited by HealeyRick; 06-12-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have to confess I'm a bit enamored of the leather strap look and added one to my Ford-powered Healey even though it wasn't a feature on the later cars like mine. And in order to add some extra cooling (and look a little more like a 100M,) I've added some louvers, too. (The mismatched paint has since been remedied)

I so nearly became a 'nasty boy' myself - I got bored restoring my last Healey in the late nineties, a '56 100/6, and fitted a 351W. I took a lot of time getting the driveline angles right and fabbing up all the mounts and bulkhead mods for the motor and toploader, but couldn't work out an easy way to fit steering gear so put it all back to stock and sold it. I'm guessing you have the narrower 289? Something I always fancied doing.
Roger

Edit - sorry, that was lazy - I just read your link, great stuff. The 302 is narrower than the 351 which is why you just got away with the stock steering. Also I was converting to RHD which seems to take up more room on the right side of the engine bay.
...and I have every single album BS&T ever released. Wasn't too bothered by Spinning Wheel, but nothing comes close to Hi-de-ho, and theirs is the best version of Fire and Rain I know. They were around at exactly the right time for a 16-yr-old aspiring jazz bass trombonist...

Last edited by rsk289; 06-13-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Here's 7027. Nice looking car

I really like the look of those straps. Might not have been on the original car, but it sure looks authentic! Lots of suppliers for them on the ol’ interwebs...
Maybe a nice close-up photo of these straps on 7027?

Last edited by lomdel; 12-02-2019 at 09:51 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: