Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Originality Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/)
-   -   Color (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/originality-forum/142451-color.html)

Mike_I 06-11-2019 06:47 AM

Color

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what color this is? Is this an original color. It looks too dark to be guardsman.

LMH 06-11-2019 06:58 AM

I think that’s Guardsman Blue, it’s just in shadow of the trees on an overcast day.
Larry

Mike_I 06-12-2019 05:25 AM

Thanks Larry. It looks darker than guardsman usually does but you may be right about the trees /shade.

JGC1965 06-12-2019 12:06 PM

Assuming these are race cars and the GT40 is in Gulf colors, then this car would be darker than Guardsman and looks like Shelby team colors.https://poeschloncars.blogspot.com/2...erican_31.html

JGC1965 06-12-2019 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 33305

LMH 06-12-2019 12:39 PM

The Cobra is CSX2513. While it has had quite a restoration past, you can look it up to see it in different light situations.
Larry

1985 CCX 06-13-2019 07:20 AM

I know the previous owner and was around the car a bit. As I remember its darker, will ask Dave if he remembers.

1985 CCX 06-13-2019 07:30 AM

Update

He said " great question"
car was painted by McCluskey 20+ years ago. So we are all still guessing....:MECOOL:

LMH 06-13-2019 08:19 AM

I’ve been around a number of original cars painted Guardsman blue and you can see variation in each one. It depends on who’s mixing the paint and what company is supplying the color among other reasons. If you wanted to copy a true Guardsman blue, you’d have to match it to a car with original paint and there’s only a couple of those left.
Larry

Mike_I 06-13-2019 09:20 AM

Thanks for all of the info. Jeff and Larry. As luck would have it, and now that I think about it. I have a close friend one state away that has a McCluskey built daytona coupe and it is supposedly guardsman as well but it is dark like 2513. I might just do a match on that car if my little project gets off the ground.

Thanks Guy's

incoming 07-03-2020 04:48 PM

"Viper Blue". Same as mine. I can look for the code if needed.

xb-60 07-04-2020 03:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In all the pictures I have of 2513, his paint looks quite a bit darker than Guardsman Blue. This is him at Pebble Beach in 2012....

Attachment 34892

Cheers,
Glen

mrmustang 07-04-2020 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming (Post 1479186)
"Viper Blue". Same as mine. I can look for the code if needed.

Unless you have a color correcting monitor, and the original pictures have not been color corrected using a program like Photoshop, then it is always difficult to see the actual color/shade unless you are standing next to the car in question.

In this case, that is not Viper GTS Blue (code: PBE)

It is Guardsman Blue (Ford code: 1622/A)

Hope you find this helpful

Bill S.

Mike_I 07-04-2020 02:47 PM

Thanks Guys. I’m considering a repaint on my ERA and I am a blue fan. I really like this blue.

1985 CCX 07-06-2020 10:56 AM

You bet, the car is in a collection as I know it now so its impossible to get exact as the owner is a bit reclusive. I am told....

xb-60 07-06-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_I (Post 1463099)
....McCluskey built daytona coupe and it is supposedly guardsman as well but it is dark like 2513....

I wouldn't ask the painter to paint it "Guardsman Blue" based on that information. It might not look like what you expected it to look like.

If I might suggest....look for a colour on a modern car that looks like the blue that you want , then go to a sales outlet that sells that car (or ask an owner) and obtain the colour code details. Then you will know exactly what colour you will be getting.

I looked for colour code details for Viking Blue for my FIA replica, and ended up getting the paint code from a car that I thought looked the closest to Viking Blue, and it turned out to be at least as good (if not better) than my expectations.

Good luck!
Glen

CompClassics 07-06-2020 11:04 PM

First you have to understand that the original 1965 Ford Guards blue was a single stage paint. Most paints today are a two stage paint process, color base and then a clear coat. To me a clear coat gives the color a lot more depth than the original color ever had.

incoming 07-07-2020 06:09 PM

Cant figure out how to send a pic of my car. Its "Viper Blue" Please PM me an address>

rodneym 07-08-2020 03:17 PM

I've spoken to Luis @ McCluskey about Guardsman Blue a few times. The answer isn't as easy as a paint code.
While I agree that a PC monitor is a horrible place for accuracy, I must say there is absolutely no hint a green in the examples above, not to my eyes anyway.

patrickt 07-08-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1479428)
I've spoken to Luis @ McCluskey about Guardsman Blue a few times. The answer isn't as easy as a paint code.
While I agree that a PC monitor is a horrible place for accuracy, I must say there is absolutely no hint a green in the examples above, not to my eyes anyway.

I see a hint of beige.:cool: