Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2006, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default 390 Original Myth?

I have read that Shelby planned to use the 390 as the engine of choice for the first Cobras. Can anyone confirm this. Were there ever any built?

Paul
Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

From what I understand, that is true. It was supposed to be an aluminum 390 for the coil spring cars. But due to poor casting and build issues, the motors did not hold up well.

I am sure someone else like Ron or someone can shed more details on it.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The experimental alloy 390 was a 427 alloy block 'sleeved down' to a 390 size. Unreliable? I doubt it, no developement time was given to the engine to ever find out one way or the other. Only a few were made, I would bet COST was the determining factor. Thats exactly why GM stopped making the early alloy 215 cid engine that eventually became a ROVER V8 in England. It simply cost to much to make. What about the early experimental alloy heads as well? Very limited in number and I would bet VERY expensive to make, abandoned.

The alloy 390\427 block had little in common with the standard iron 390, just happened to be the same cid. Like the 351Windsor or the 351Clevland, same cid but different engines. I can't imagine Shelby giving any SERIOUS thought to using an original iron 390 for a power plant. All though, no doubt all options were on the table at some point.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-21-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Ex

Right.
Ford made at least 2 possibly a few more.
The reason for them in the first place was when Miles stuffed the Iron block Iron head motor into the 289 #2196 and stuffed it into a tree.
Miles said he needed light weight to make the leaf spring car turn so Shel asked Ford for aluminum. Since the sideoiler was just the new latest and greatest, they cast aluminum and sleeved it. Hence 390 size which had lots of RPO items on the shelf.
2196 got one of the alloy motors with the 58 webers and 3002 got the single 4 version.
I am aware of the original flip top motor being alive and well after its failure and repair to a non thrust side. Sadly it's not in the flip top which sports a new Shelby Aluminum Block.
The 3002 motor is presumed long gone

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wasn't there some talk a couple of years ago about trying to sell one of the original alloy 390's? Perhaps it could not be determined if indeed it WAS the vintage motor?

Or, I wouldn't be surprised if the current owner of the Flip Top simply didn't want to pay the 'ransom' to recover the motor.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Ex

The motor was verified and is the motor or lets put it this way. If the jury was really out for any reason, how tuff would it be to call it that if there were really few made and only one had surfaced since 1964.
And, with all the correct trimmings for the flip top. That was the only one with the webers..

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HOMEGROWN-460 big block 5 tremec
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Bridges
Not Ranked     

Paul,
SHELBY AMERICAN went so far as to have a 2" longer wb chassis fabbed for one of the Italian coupes and had a similar aluminum 390 NASCAR type engine installed for a race in Europe after it was picked up by the SAI/FIA CARAVAN. As luck would have it one of the FIA 289's was destroyed in a public road incident and they installed the 289 race set-up to replace the damaged car on the grid at the next race.
So there was more than just a passing intrest in racing the FE series engines, from 1963 on. To bad that lil coupe missed out on making entry into a FIA sanctioned race, would have been a hoot for the big block followers of the COBRA.
Gunrack