LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Unhappy NY Registration Woes

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member, just got my Superformance Cobra last month. The NY DMV is making my life miserable about the tech inspection, specifically the SAE numbers off the lenses. Also, 4-way flashers, or hazard lights. I called Finish Line and only the round tail lights have SAE numbers. I read through a thread from 2006, someone got a hazard light switch from Victoria British, but when I called, the girl could only help me if I had a year, make and model... they don't handle Cobra parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's killing me that I can only look at my Cobra resting comfortably in the garage and we've got beautiful weather.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Just wire one of these in and get it over with " no need to do it in the column" Just mount a small switch under the dash " This is temp just to get going.... and daisy chain with scotch locks to the lights

ididit 3100037542 - ididit Turn Signal Flasher Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

22-18 Scotch Lock Electrical Terminals Red Qty (100) [VSCOTR] - $20.22 : NutsandBolts.com

Even if you have to add a few small bulbs run them thru were the light go and just leave them for inspection. This entire project should take about 2 hours.

This should at least get the flasher problem dealt with...

The SAE Issue

Document Number: J3333
Project Number: XJ3333
Project Initiation: August 2011
Revision Number:

Title: Determination of the Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area (EPLLA) by Measurement

Issuing Committee:
Test Methods And Equipment Stds Committee

Scope:
This SAE Recommended Practice provides the standardized laboratory test method to determine the effective projected luminous lens area of signaling lamps for which requirements exist in SAE Standards and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108.

Rationale:
FMVSS108 and SAE standard require a minimum effective projected luminous lens area for turn signals and stop lamps. NHTSA however has not defined an objective method to measure this areao. Modern lamps and especially where LEDs are applied but also depending on the characteristics of the optics, it becomes unclear what area can be counted to the luminous area. High luminance contrasts can be observed in such lamps, but there is no luminance criterion. Additionally parts of the lamp can change its luminous intensity and luminance in order to change its function e.g. from tail lamp to stop lamp or turn signal but there is no ratio requirement for the luminous areas. Industry and other interested parties, such as technical services need an objective method to determine the effective projected luminous lens area by objectve measurements. The standard proposed offers such objective method.

Determination of the Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area (EPLLA) by Measurement

They are making it up " As shown the SAE doesn't even have a criteria for the evaluation of testing.

If that does not work take the lenses to an engraving shop and have the guy engrave
in micro letters Glo-Brite-564 These would be aftermarket and would not require an embossed logo of any type such as ford.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

Its all in how you feel but I ran into the same problem with my paperwork. Through the state the only answer I could get was change my lights for compliance.

I went to Autozone and looked at the aftermarket lights they had. SAE # listed right on the back. Wrote them down, went home and put those numbers on my paperwork and never looked back. My car went throught inspection with no problems. The truth is the inspector seemed afraid to touch my car, he poked around with his flashlight a bit, asked me a few questions, shrugged his shoulders and called Albany. Last thing I heard him say back to Albany was " the paperwork looks good so just give him his VIN ?".

Before the day was over the car was inspected and alligned. The only thing then was waiting a week and a half for the paperwork to come back so I could lisense the car. Turned out to be a pretty decent experience overall.

Aaron
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

avdcav,
Thanks a lot for all the info. I looked into the ididit wiring harness from Summit. Hmmmm, looks like it's pretty involved and wiring is one area where I'm very much lacking in. I'm considering pushing my luck and hope the tech inspection doesn't look at that.

Aaron,
I got the SAE number from the Cobra round tail light and took the front turn signal number off my '66. I also ordered amber front turn signal lights from Finish Line since what I got on there are clear. From what I hear, you can't use an amber bulb. I'm hoping they won't look for them at the field inspection. Doing a lot of hoping here
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

You are on the right track with your last post re: DOT and flashers.

I also changed to the amber front lens - got them from Finish Line also.
Keep us posted how it goes,
Jim Kellogg
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

Just make sure the new lenses have real SAE#s. The ones I looked at had
#s but did not have SAE stamped on them. If you do not see SAE before or after the number it is not a SAE #. SAEs also have certain sequences. That part the folks in Albany are aware of.

Aaron
Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Picked up a another backup light, this one had an SAE number. What I had on there I got from a fellow Mustang club member, he passed with them on his Cobra. The guy I'm working with in Albany said, no go. I messaged JCoop about Victoria British to find out what flasher he used. Haven't heard back yet. I'd like to hook up the flashers permanently, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have them. At least that way, I can park illegally and just use my flashers
Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlad View Post
At least that way, I can park illegally and just use my flashers
Oh,oh....you've been talking to Orbank!

We have not yet had a NYS customer that has not passed at the DMV with a MK III on the first attempt. Not once have they looked at lenses for numbers.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Oh,oh....you've been talking to Orbank!

We have not yet had a NYS customer that has not passed at the DMV with a MK III on the first attempt. Not once have they looked at lenses for numbers.
What can I say, I got a dickhead in Albany that's hellbent on making my live miserable. My first trip to Dingens was supposed to be for VIN verification, at least that's what my appointment letter said. I never sent in an application for a VIN. Only when I got to Dingens did they say I couldn't use the SPF serial number that is on the MI title as the VIN. Then, dickhead in Albany followed the tech inspection form word for word. I'm still waiting for word on another appointment. I thought I had everything on the form satisfied yesterday with the new backup light after I sent in another picture.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Well when my SPF went thru inspection 4 yrs ago, I dont believe they actually tied the light lens numbers to the SAE numbers I sent in. I also dont have 4 way flashers, padded dash or padded visors.
SPF comes with defroster and wipers which NYS requires. They also want the backup lights. You can always remove them after the inspection if you dont want to go thru the trouble mounting them permanently.
Sounds like you're not dealing with the woman in Albany that was there. Hopefully she is retired by now. I always made sure to talk politely to her so that my paperwork wouldnt 'get lost'.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: midstates,406 block 427
Not Ranked     

just went through smooth as silk, so did a buddy, any missing no.s were pu elsewhere, they accepted photos and work sheet. dmvjust cked vin which they gave me. might have work sheet if that helps. not sure
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

use SAE SRP 69 for Directionals and back up lights. Use SAE ST 69 for tail and brake light. and SAE L p5 for license plate light.

I dont think they acutally check after you send in the papers, the inspection is to make sure nothing is stolen.

What ever padding is on the dash is sufficient, I also dont have flashers. Just check all of the boxes in section 11. for padded visors I took a big piece of green foam put a slit in it and put it over the visors, I took pictures of it sent it in and all was good.

Check all of the boxed in section 9 too.

It all seems much worse than it really is, you will be driving in no time.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
use SAE SRP 69 for Directionals and back up lights. Use SAE ST 69 for tail and brake light. and SAE L p5 for license plate light.

I dont think they acutally check after you send in the papers, the inspection is to make sure nothing is stolen.

What ever padding is on the dash is sufficient, I also dont have flashers. Just check all of the boxes in section 11. for padded visors I took a big piece of green foam put a slit in it and put it over the visors, I took pictures of it sent it in and all was good.

Check all of the boxed in section 9 too.

It all seems much worse than it really is, you will be driving in no time.
Thats L 95 for license plate
Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you remove the visors the padding is a non issue.....

Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used 1/2" water line insulation for the visors and put it on the upper dash also. Doesn't really look bad on the dash! Finish Line gave me the SAE number for the round tail light and I used the SAE number from my '66 turn signals. Got a backup light with an SAE number on it. Pictures were sent and I haven't heard back as far as anything else. Rick, padded visors are a requirement.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

MGlad:
If you are in Albany, you are about 2 hrs from me, I have a very nice guy who does my annual inspection and he is not the type of guy who will be annal about certain issues like these. I really don'r understand this. How are you titling this car, if it is over 25 years it only requires a safety inspection. Let me know if you want to head down. Send me a private message so we can talk freely.
Basque1
Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlad View Post
I used 1/2" water line insulation for the visors and put it on the upper dash also. Doesn't really look bad on the dash! Finish Line gave me the SAE number for the round tail light and I used the SAE number from my '66 turn signals. Got a backup light with an SAE number on it. Pictures were sent and I haven't heard back as far as anything else. Rick, padded visors are a requirement.
Are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!! you mean to tell me that the idiots in Albany have so much time in their hands that they are looking for padding in the visors. ONly in NY
Come down here man!! you will be taken care of
Basque1
Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Read this thread over and take a deep breath...

NYS Registration Process - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

HIH,

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Pat:
I did not realize that mglad was trying to register/title his vehicle for the 1st time. I know NYS DMV is very annal about the process. I went through a slight problem with my son's Jeep which was rebodied and restored after 11 years but finally it was done.
Tks for the info
Basque1
Old 05-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is why we need to lobby for passage of New York A.B. 2073. The bill would streamline and simplify registration of specialty cars. In this case Mglads car would register as a "1965 Cobra Replica" and be subject to such regulations as existed in 1965.....when back-up lamps were an option and only a PCV system was required for emmissions compliance.

I have sent my assembly representative and my state senator emails outlining the benefits to this bill for both the state and the public as well as the positive effect it would have on my business. Niether has bothered to respond, not so much as a "screw you, go away" reply.

This type of legislation has been passed in numerous states and New York needs to "get with the program". See SEMA Action Network (SAN) AA_2011NY1 for more information. We need to come together to lobby and fight for this bill. Many states that have passed this legislation have provided a process to revise the titles and registration of existing replica/specialty cars allowing the owners to ammend the tiltle from "spec con" or "home made" to the vehicle the car represents. This adds value and streamlines resale of the car.

As owners and clubs we need to come together and fight for this bill.

Last edited by Mark IV; 05-26-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: "lobby" is not spelled "looby"...go figure!