Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to werthie
Not Ranked     
Default California SB-100

Greetings from West Los Angeles,

Has anyone gone through the SB-100 process recently? I'm about to get started, and from everything I've read, it seems to be a grueling mine-field.

I'd greatly appreciate speaking with someone who's done it recently, so I can make sure that I have all my ducks in a row, that I'm going to the right places in the right order, etc. It seems that the Thousand Oaks DMV is the place to start. That's a little out of my area, but I'm willing to make the drive, if they (who in particular?) know what they're doing.

My email address is werthie at a oh el dot com. Please contact me directly.

Very grateful for the guidance!!

Alan W.
"If someone were to ask me for a short cut to sensuality, I would suggest he go shopping for a used 427 Shelby Cobra. But it is only fair to warn you that of the 300 guys who switched to them in 1966, only two went back to women."
--Mort Sahl
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

There is nothing grueling about SB100. It is very simple and costs nothing. What can be a bit of work is registration, which requires several steps and visits to the CHP, BAR, and DMV.

If you have a bought a car from out of state, you may have issues, that may not be able to be overcome. Some have ended up selling their car out of state because it could not be registered. If you built a kit car in California, registration will be straightforward and SB100 will be simple.

First tell us what you have and then people can help guide you.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

duplicate post
Old 07-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unless they have done away with it SB-1578 was written to use the same 500 numbers that SB-100 does but it was to help people that bought out of state cars get them titled here in this republic. I believe there was a few more steps you had to go through but am not sure about that a I never used it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just started the SB100 process on a Cobra that I bought from New York. I actually live in Thousand Oaks so I went to that DMV and they knew exactly how to handle everything. I started the process about three weeks ago and there were still numbers left. The lady at the DMV told me that even last December there were numbers left so I wouldn't worry about them running out.

The process seems pretty straight forward so far. The only issue I am having is that I took it to the BAR station and I got popped for having a breather so now I have to go back and have it all enclosed. Simple enough.

After that, I am good. They didn't even require me to go to a Brake and Light place so that is nice. If you have questions, either read online or ask away!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to werthie
Not Ranked     
Default California SB-100

Great news!! Thank you!

alan
"If someone were to ask me for a short cut to sensuality, I would suggest he go shopping for a used 427 Shelby Cobra. But it is only fair to warn you that of the 300 guys who switched to them in 1966, only two went back to women."
--Mort Sahl
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I recently went through the process. There were a few screw ups (on their part) that required more time from me, but it is all behind me now. It sounds like you don't need more help at this point, but if you do then PM me and I'm glad to walk through it on the phone with you.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz
Not Ranked     

I too purchased my Cobra in NY the previous owner tells me it was originally bought and registered in Ca same forms I assume?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Neutral     

I went through this process last October 2013 in Thousand Oaks. They, including the manager of TO DMV, did not know how to handle it and I had to refresh their memory. I got my final SPCN number in late December and there were over 100 numbers left!