Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Registration Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/registration-forum/)
-   -   My Recent Experience with SB100 & Bringing a Used Cobra into California (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/registration-forum/137248-my-recent-experience-sb100-bringing-used-cobra-into-california.html)

Cobalt289 09-21-2016 06:54 PM

My Recent Experience with SB100 & Bringing a Used Cobra into California

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my experience with buying a used ERA 289 FIA Cobra and bringing it into California. If you are considering buying a Cobra and bringing it into California and registering it with DMV through SB100, I hope this will help you streamline the process a bit.

My car was originally bought from ERA in 2004, and was registered and titled in another state as a 1965 Shelby Cobra Replica, back in 2009. When I looked at it for sale, it had only 3,100 miles on it. Armed with this information, I read up on some of the threads in this forum, got a bit confused by all of the info that's out there, and decided to call DMV to see if I could bring a car into the state with so few miles (I read here that cars needed at least 7,500 miles) - but DMV said that wouldn't be a problem with a 2009 title. So I asked, how should it be registered? As a special construction SPCNS vehicle via SB100? Or since there was already title from another state, as a 1965 Shelby Cobra Replica? The person I spoke with at DMV didn't seem all that familiar with the issues involved, and said it probably depended on who I got at the counter that day.

Thinking this might be easier than others online had made it out to be, I went down to AAA to try the registration there, bypassing DMV altogether. To my amazement, they processed the car, entered it into the DMV system, asked me for payment via check, then gave me a registration card and license plates, and sent me on my way! "Boy, was that easy!" I thought.

However, a few weeks later, AAA called me, saying the registration had been rejected by DMV and that I needed to come back in. They gave me all my paperwork back, and there was a note handwritten on it from DMV saying that as a replica 1965, it would have to be a SPCNS vehicle. Interestingly, AAA didn't ask for my plates back, and they didn't give me a refund, either. Instead, they said DMV would apply my payment, and the license plates would stick with the car throughout the process.

So I made an appointment with DMV, and in the meantime, contacted the original owner/builder to collect all of the paperwork on the build I could get my hands on. Thankfully, he had lots of receipts (ERA Purchase Receipt, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, Engine Purchase Receipt) plus photos of the build he very kindly sent to me. I filled out a new Application for Title or Registration (DMV REG 343) and a Statement of Construction (DMV REG 5036). I also called DMV to make sure there were still some of the SB100 numbers left for the year, since they only allow 500 per year.

At DMV, it all went smoothly. The guy at the counter was vaguely familiar with the process, and he got some help from his supervisor. Together, they got my car into the system and submitted for SB100 consideration. Note that they still give you a Certificate of Sequence number while you're there at DMV, but the actual validated certificate you need only comes later, from DMV headquarters. They also confirmed that my payment via AAA earlier was still good, so I didn't owe any additional money, and they gave me a Temporary Operating Permit, and a referral to CHP for the next inspection (you need a DMV referral to get the CHP appointment scheduled).

CHP is really, really backed up, so it's important to call to schedule something right away. The first CHP location I contacted near my home said they weren't taking any more appointments - they were all booked up. I had never heard of such a thing - couldn't they go just one page further in their calendar to write something down? But I've found it best not to disagree with CHP, so when they suggested another office quite a bit farther from my house, I simply scheduled a time with that branch.

While waiting for the appointment, I took care of the Closed Crankcase requirements. California will let you have your replica car registered as a 1965 equivalent for smog purposes, but that means it has to have all of the stuff a real 1965 car in California would've had. And essentially, that's a closed crankcase. Not being a gearhead, I read as much as I could about it, and was relieved to see that my 351W car had a simple 4-bbl carb, with a PCV valve and hose going from one valve cover back to the carb, and the other valve cover just had a simple push-in valve breather cover. So all I had to do was get a new push-in valve breather cover built with a hose attachment, and a new air cleaner assembly also built with a hose attachment, and a hose to connect the two. Easy peasy.

A few months later, I drove to the CHP branch with all of my paperwork and receipts. Here, it's my understanding that they are looking for possibly stolen cars, parts, engines, components, etc. So they wanted receipts for the build parts, and to see the Statement of Origin, the metal serial number on the frame that matched the ERA number, and things like that. However, their actual inspection is done in private, and you are not allowed to watch. So after a few hours of idle waiting, I got my car back from the very polite officer who complimented the car, signed off on the paperwork I needed, and showed me where he had stamped a new California VIN into the frame for identification purposes. Another success, and next stop was the BAR referee!

After making my appointment - you need the DMV paperwork, the CHP paperwork, and the actual, stamped Certificate of Sequence from DMV headquarters in Sacramento to get one - I waited a few weeks then headed up to the closest BAR referee for what I thought would be the final inspection.

However, at the BAR inspection, the BAR referee was a humorless fellow who took a few pictures of my car, took a quick look at the PCV system, and then took all my paperwork. In going through all of the paperwork and receipts, he got fixated on one early receipt from ERA that said the car was anticipated to have an engine in it from them, as opposed to a later receipt from the engine builders who actually supplied the engine for the car. So after waiting an hour for this referee to go through the paperwork, he didn't actually examine the car, and instead just sent the paperwork up to Sacramento - again. I offered to answer any questions and to talk with the guy he was sending the paperwork to, but he wouldn't let me. I told him, "I could have just sent the paperwork from home." But he said that's not the way it works out here - it had to come from him.

Of greater concern was the fact that he said, "I don't know if the car will qualify for SB100 with this paperwork." I said that the car had already qualified - that's how I got the stamped Certificate of Sequence from DMV headquarters in the first place! He said that was only a preliminary examination, and that it would now be examined more carefully. Ugh!

As a parting gift, he also said that the PCV system was a fail because I had used a heater hose, and not the proper PCV hose. I laughed and said I could fix that in five minutes - but what about the paperwork?! He said, "We'll see what they say," and that was that. (Note to readers - there's a post in this forum from a guy saying he used a heater hose for his PCV system and it wasn't a problem. But if you do that and get my referee, it's a fail. Use PCV hose.)

I got home and on the following Monday called the BAR appointment people and went up the ladder to the regional manager, and then up to the state manager of the Special Construction Vehicle Department, who called me back the next day. She seemed to get it and said she would review the paperwork and let me know. A few days later, she called saying it was all good with the paperwork and that I just needed to make another BAR appointment for the physical inspection. Whew. This time, I opted to drive a little farther to a different station just in hopes of getting a different referee!

So after a few more weeks, I had that appointment. This different BAR referee just looked at the car, saw that I had the proper PCV system (I had changed the hose), took a few photos of the whole thing and the engine, then disappeared for about 30 minutes into the back office. Thankfully, he said it all went through and looked good, and he put the SB-100 Smog Exemption sticker in the engine bay. Then he gave me a bunch of paperwork completed by him and said, "Just take this all back to DMV and you should be done."

I made an appointment with DMV and a week or two later went down there for that. This time, the DMV guy went through all of the paperwork and started asking, "But where is your brake and light inspection?" I seriously thought of killing him on the spot. But remaining calm, I told him that as a completely assembled replica car I had bought used, that had previously been registered and operated in another state, DMV had earlier said those separate inspections wouldn't be required. He said he didn't know about that, and went to get the supervisor. Thankfully, she said the paperwork was all correct. I was excited, and thanked them and asked if I was done. But alas, no. They had to send all of the paperwork up to Sacramento for it to be reviewed and signed off on - again. I reminded them that it had all been sent up to Sacramento about five times already and they just shrugged and told me that's the way the system works here.

Wow.

Several weeks later, I finally received my California registration. I won't say it was especially hard, because it wasn't. But it was time-consuming, frustrating and confusing!

If you're thinking about doing it, hope this helps!

Phx Mike 09-21-2016 07:05 PM

Yikes. AZ was about two hrs total time at the DMV with most of that spent waiting. Only tough part was knowing what type of inspection to ask for an knowing what days they are open.

mrmustang 09-21-2016 07:14 PM

Excellent write up, I've updated my files for California with it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt289 (Post 1404090)
Hi everyone. I wanted to share my experience with buying a used ERA 289 FIA Cobra and bringing it into California. If you are considering buying a Cobra and bringing it into California and registering it with DMV through SB100, I hope this will help you streamline the process a bit.

My car was originally bought from ERA in 2004, and was registered and titled in another state as a 1965 Shelby Cobra Replica, back in 2009. When I looked at it for sale, it had only 3,100 miles on it. Armed with this information, I read up on some of the threads in this forum, got a bit confused by all of the info that's out there, and decided to call DMW to see if I could bring a car into the state with so few miles (I read here that cars needed at least 7,500 miles) - but DMV said that wouldn't be a problem with a 2009 title. So I asked, how should it be registered? As a special construction SPCNS vehicle via SB100? Or since there was already title from another state, as a 1965 Shelby Cobra Replica? The person I spoke with at DMV didn't seem all that familiar with the issues involved, and said it probably depended on who I got at the counter that day.

Thinking this might be easier than others online had made it out to be, I went down to AAA to try the registration there, bypassing DMW altogether. To my amazement, they processed the car, entered it into the DMV system, asked me for payment via check, then gave me a registration card and license plates, and sent me on my way! "Boy, was that easy!" I thought.

However, a few weeks later, AAA called me, saying the registration had been rejected by DMV and that I needed to come back in. They gave me all my paperwork back, and there was a note handwritten on it from DMV saying that as a replica 1965, it would have to be a SPCNS vehicle. Interestingly, AAA didn't ask for my plates back, and they didn't give me a refund, either. Instead, they said DMV would apply my payment, and the license plates would stick with the car throughout the process.

So I made an appointment with DMV, and in the meantime, contacted the original owner/builder to collect all of the paperwork on the build I could get my hands on. Thankfully, he had lots of receipts (ERA Purchase Receipt, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, Engine Purchase Receipt) plus photos of the build he very kindly sent to me. I filled out a new Application for Title or Registration (DMV REG 343) and a Statement of Construction (DMV REG 5036). I also called DMV to make sure there were still some of the SB100 numbers left for the year, since they only allow 500 per year.

At DMV, it all went smoothly. The guy at the counter was vaguely familiar with the process, and he got some help from his supervisor. Together, they got my car into the system and submitted for SB100 consideration. Note that they still give you a Certificate of Sequence number while you're there at DMV, but the actual validated certificate you need only comes later, from DMV headquarters. They also confirmed that my payment via AAA earlier was still good, so I didn't owe any additional money, and they gave me a Temporary Operating Permit, and a referral to CHP for the next inspection (you need a DMV referral to get the CHP appointment scheduled).

CHP is really, really backed up, so it's important to call to schedule something right away. The first CHP location I contacted near my home said they weren't taking any more appointments - they were all booked up. I had never heard of such a thing - couldn't they go just one page further in their calendar to write something down? But I've found it best not to disagree with CHP, so when they suggested another office quite a bit farther from my house, I simply scheduled a time with that branch.

While waiting for the appointment, I took care of the Closed Crankcase requirements. California will let you have your replica car registered as a 1965 equivalent for smog purposes, but that means it has to have all of the stuff a real 1965 car in California would've had. And essentially, that's a closed crankcase. Not being a gearhead, I read as much as I could about it, and was relieved to see that my 351W car had a simple 4-bbl carb, with a PCV valve and hose going from one valve cover back to the carb, and the other valve cover just had a simple push-in valve breather cover. So all I had to do was get a new push-in valve breather cover built with a hose attachment, and a new air cleaner assembly also built with a hose attachment, and a hose to connect the two. Easy peasy.

A few months later, I drove to the CHP branch with all of my paperwork and receipts. Here, it's my understanding that they are looking for possibly stolen cars, parts, engines, components, etc. So they wanted receipts for the build parts, and to see the Statement of Origin, the metal serial number on the frame that matched the ERA number, and things like that. However, their actual inspection is done in private, and you are not allowed to watch. So after a few hours of idle waiting, I got my car back from the very polite officer who complimented the car, signed off on the paperwork I needed, and showed me where he had stamped a new California VIN into the frame for identification purposes. Another success, and next stop was the BAR referee!

After making my appointment - you need the DMV paperwork, the CHP paperwork, and the actual, stamped Certificate of Sequence from DMV headquarters in Sacramento to get one - I waited a few weeks then headed up to the closest BAR referee for what I thought would be the final inspection.

However, at the BAR inspection, the BAR referee was a humorless fellow who took a few pictures of my car, took a quick look at the PCV system, and then took all my paperwork. In going through all of the paperwork and receipts, he got fixated on one early receipt from ERA that said the car was anticipated to have an engine in it from them, as opposed to a later receipt from the engine builders who actually supplied the engine for the car. So after waiting an hour for this referee to go through the paperwork, he didn't actually examine the car, and instead just sent the paperwork up to Sacramento - again. I offered to answer any questions and to talk with the guy he was sending the paperwork to, but he wouldn't let me. I told him, "I could have just sent the paperwork from home." But he said that's not the way it works out here - it had to come from him.

Of greater concern was the fact that he said, "I don't know if the car will qualify for SB100 with this paperwork." I said that the car had already qualified - that's how I got the stamped Certificate of Sequence from DMV headquarters in the first place! He said that was only a preliminary examination, and that it would now be examined more carefully. Ugh!

As a parting gift, he also said that the PCV system was a fail because I had used a heater hose, and not the proper PCV hose. I laughed and said I could fix that in five minutes - but what about the paperwork?! He said, "We'll see what they say," and that was that. (Note to readers - there's a post in this forum from a guy saying he used a heater hose for his PCV system and it wasn't a problem. But if you do that and get my referee, it's a fail. Use PCV hose.)

I got home and on the following Monday called the BAR appointment people and went up the ladder to the regional manager, and then up to the state manager of the Special Construction Vehicle Department, who called me back the next day. She seemed to get it and said she would review the paperwork and let me know. A few days later, she called saying it was all good with the paperwork and that I just needed to make another BAR appointment for the physical inspection. Whew. This time, I opted to drive a little farther to a different station just in hopes of getting a different referee!

So after a few more weeks, I had that appointment. This different BAR referee just looked at the car, saw that I had the proper PCV system (I had changed the hose), took a few photos of the whole thing and the engine, then disappeared for about 30 minutes into the back office. Thankfully, he said it all went through and looked good, and he put the SB-100 Smog Exemption sticker in the engine bay. Then he gave me a bunch of paperwork completed by him and said, "Just take this all back to DMV and you should be done."

I made an appointment with DMV and a week or two later went down there for that. This time, the DMV guy went through all of the paperwork and started asking, "But where is your brake and light inspection?" I seriously thought of killing him on the spot. But remaining calm, I told him that as a completely assembled replica car I had bought used, that had previously been registered and operated in another state, DMV had earlier said those separate inspections wouldn't be required. He said he didn't know about that, and went to get the supervisor. Thankfully, she said the paperwork was all correct. I was excited, and thanked them and asked if I was done. But alas, no. They had to send all of the paperwork up to Sacramento for it to be reviewed and signed off on - again. I reminded them that it had all been sent up to Sacramento about five times already and they just shrugged and told me that's the way the system works here.

Wow.

Several weeks later, I finally received my California registration. I won't say it was especially hard, because it wasn't. But it was time-consuming, frustrating and confusing!

If you're thinking about doing it, hope this helps!

66gtk 09-21-2016 07:30 PM

Great details here - thank you. Good for you for hanging in there. Curiously, what month was this done that there were still available SB100s left? I can't believe how many hoops they make you jump through as if you are some criminal intent on single handedly destroying the world with your hobby car.

RodKnock 09-21-2016 08:28 PM

Other than the additional time between all the appointments, and the fact that I didn't use AAA, that's pretty much the same methodology I/we all used for our new car builds. I also had the VIN number already stamped into a frame member prior to the CHP appt., by the install shop, because I didn't want them stamping the VIN wherever they wanted to.

1. Start the registration process with the DMV.
2. Get your SB100 sequence number, issued by Sacramento. The actual certificate comes in the mail.
3. B&L inspection.
4. BAR appt.
5. CHP appt.
6. Final paperwork handed in and get license plates with stickers.

Not tough, just involves time. Thanks for the write up. :)

twobjshelbys 09-21-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phx Mike (Post 1404092)
Yikes. AZ was about two hrs total time at the DMV with most of that spent waiting. Only tough part was knowing what type of inspection to ask for an knowing what days they are open.

My CSX took about 20 minutes in Boulder, CO. Existing title as a 65 Shelby Cobra. And they are a*******.

Mike I 09-22-2016 04:37 AM

Well done Cobalt. Sucks to deal with that level of bureaucratic governmental foolishness, but now you can enjoy your new toy. Welcome aboard, and please post a picture of your ERA when you have a chance, would love to see it.

Btw, I'm a bit surprised the original owner still had the MSO (or was it a copy?), I had to turn mine in when I applied for the FL title, and I didn't have the foresight to make a copy.

jhv48 09-22-2016 07:57 AM

Well done:
And thanks for the complete write up!
Invaluable info for all of us that live in this State.

Kobura 09-22-2016 08:00 AM

Most of us have only gone through the SB100 procedure once, but my perception is that one would be fortunate to get a DMV employee who is familiar with the process. Otherwise, I believe it can be somewhat of an ordeal requiring patience and persistence, and politeness through gritted teeth. Unfortunately, the decline in the number of SB100 applications means that fewer workers have the processing experience. You done good!

Cobalt289 09-22-2016 08:44 AM

66gtk - I called in December and there were still SB100 numbers left! But by the time I got my DMV appointment, the calendar had rolled around to January. In chatting up the DMV guy, he said these numbers used to go like hotcakes on January 2nd as everyone lined up at DMV that morning to try to get their Cobra/Spyder/Hot Rod/Whatever legal in California. But now there's not that much demand for them.

Igofastr 09-22-2016 08:46 AM

I'm just curious...you mention waiting months for this and that. How long did it finally take, all said and done?

Cobalt289 09-22-2016 08:53 AM

Igofastr - from my first trip to AAA until I got the final registration from DMV, it was right at 6 months, all in, grand total.

Mike I - yes, I got the original MSO from the owner, and I still have it. I always had it ready to show to DMV, but gave them scans of those original receipts whenever I had to give them paperwork on the build.

Cobalt289 09-22-2016 09:08 AM

I just tried to upload some photos here, but it's probably easier just to click on my profile, where on the right hand side there's an album with a few pictures of the car.

ACHiPo 10-31-2016 08:54 PM

Wow thanks for the eye-opening education. Guess I better brace myself!

Ron61 11-01-2016 03:08 AM

First mistake was going to AAA. We have had three people here do that and they all went through that crap. The DMV here will not accept the
AAA registration. Also use AB1578 which is the addendum written to cover out of state buys. It uses SB-100 numbers and rules but has a couple of things that deals especially with out of state buys. The ones around here that used that and went to the DMV instead of AAA had no real problems at all.

Ron

joyridin' 11-01-2016 05:23 AM

So what if your car was originally from California and has a California VIN with a past SB100 certificate? Can you bypass all the BS and just apply for a new title and SB100?

RodKnock 11-01-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1407627)
So what if your car was originally from California and has a California VIN with a past SB100 certificate? Can you bypass all the BS and just apply for a new title and SB100?

As long as your car doesn't leave the state and get registered in another state, the SB100 exemption stays with the car for the life of the car when sold. Once your original CA Cobra is registered in another state, then if and when your car returns to CA, you'll have to go through the SB100 process again.

Cobalt289 11-11-2016 10:14 AM

ACHiPo - Just be prepared for dealing with a lot of bureaucracy and possibly some people who seem to think their job is to prevent you from getting licensed, instead of just handling the paperwork and verifying that you're doing it right. Most of the people I dealt with were great - but a few along the way seemed to think they were there to protect California from cars like ours. Remember, the laws here allow us to have these beautiful autos and to drive and enjoy them (well, at least 500 per year), so be patient, be polite, have your paperwork all done up, and you'll get through it.

ACHiPo 11-11-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt289 (Post 1408422)
ACHiPo - Just be prepared for dealing with a lot of bureaucracy and possibly some people who seem to think their job is to prevent you from getting licensed, instead of just handling the paperwork and verifying that you're doing it right. Most of the people I dealt with were great - but a few along the way seemed to think they were there to protect California from cars like ours. Remember, the laws here allow us to have these beautiful autos and to drive and enjoy them (well, at least 500 per year), so be patient, be polite, have your paperwork all done up, and you'll get through it.

Cobalt,
Thanks--I will definitely need to psych myself up for this, as I'm not a terribly patient person, particularly when it comes to bureaucrats.

My plan is to get the MSO as soon as I can so I can get my number and CHP appointment. I'm hoping I will have an MSO by this time next year, which will give me 2017 and early 2018 to apply before my car arrives. From what I've found out SB100 numbers are plentiful after 2009, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I did find several posts on this site that RodKnock pointed me to that were very helpful--I plan to print them out along with the DMV website pages with the salient parts highlighted for reference in my discussions with the various folks. There are a couple decent emissions stations in Pleasanton that I've used for other things--I still need to find out if they can do the certification I need for SB100 or if there is a "special" emissions place I need to visit.

AC

RodKnock 11-11-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHiPo (Post 1408423)
Cobalt,
Thanks--I will definitely need to psych myself up for this, as I'm not a terribly patient person, particularly when it comes to bureaucrats.

My plan is to get the MSO as soon as I can so I can get my number and CHP appointment. I'm hoping I will have an MSO by this time next year, which will give me 2017 and early 2018 to apply before my car arrives. From what I've found out SB100 numbers are plentiful after 2009, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I did find several posts on this site that RodKnock pointed me to that were very helpful--I plan to print them out along with the DMV website pages with the salient parts highlighted for reference in my discussions with the various folks. There are a couple decent emissions stations in Pleasanton that I've used for other things--I still need to find out if they can do the certification I need for SB100 or if there is a "special" emissions place I need to visit.

AC

You'll have to go to a BAR referee. Not a "special emission place."

"Smog Certification
The first smog certification for an SPCNS vehicle must be issued by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Center. After inspecting the vehicle, the BAR Referee Center will issue a BAR reference data sheet and affix a BAR label to the vehicle. Subsequent smog inspections may be performed by any licensed smog check station when the BAR label is intact and emission equipment is the same."