Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     
Default PA to CA registration questions

We may be moving back to CA from PA. I am at the beginning of the build, its an ERA FIA, meaning that the body is at paint. I was wondering if anyone has built a car in PA and moved to CA and what registration nightmares to avoid?

I have obtained a 1967 289 block for the build.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

If the car is still on it's MSO, then all you need to do is either use the vintage block and fill out the appropriate paperwork (and inspections), or jump in line in early january and try to get a SB100 number assigned to your car.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess one of my questions would be what is the difference between a special construction vehicle and a SB100, are they the same? Also, would attempting to finish the car in PA and register it be the better way to go, or just register it in CA?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Both states have their bureaucratic paperwork hoops to jump through. Since you are already using a vintage block, it's really a 50/50 toss up. My advice if you are planning the move to CA now is to request the paperwork from the CA DMV and go that route, as California has shown that they rarely accept out of state titles on face value anyway. The thought behind this one is why go through it twice when one time will do.

Bill S.

PS: Special construction vs SB100, SB100 is for any vehicle that does not currently meet California's emissions guidelines, while special construction is for vehicles like yours that are home built.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ditto what Bill said. You will need to register in CA as special construction. With the vintage block you will be set to smog at 1967 rules for that engine and be tested every two years. The SB100 allows you to have smog standards based on the year of the engine or the year the car represents and then be exempt from future testing.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

SB-100 applies to all vehicles that do not meet present emissions standards including homebuilts. Since I actually ordered my ERA prior to my temporary relocation to Maryland, I did considerable research on the registration issue thinking it would be registered there. FYI, Everybody I spoke with that had registered a cobra in CA, told me that the specially constructed and SB-100 categories are not intended for turnkeys. At least the drivetrain is supposed to be installed by someone other than the car maker which would include the new owner or a independent installer.

I don't know alot about the requirements for Ford engines in CA during the sixties, I was a Chevy man then, but between 1966 and 1970 Chevy small blocks were required to have air injection pumps and NOX reduction devices. The injection pumps pumped "fresh" air into the exhaust manifolds, and the NOX devices retarded the spark advance at higher RPMs. Be sure and check out the original smog requirements for your engine before you do anything other than SB-100.

You could check with some of the members of the Tri-counties Cobra Club, centered in the Camarillo area, for additional help. They have a very active club and plenty of experience with the CA registration issues. There are also a couple of companies in CA who can help you get the title set up correctly so you won't have to worry about having it cancelled like so many others did in the past.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren I sent you a PM