Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default VA Registration Time

So, my car has been finished for 1 month and DMV has had my paperwork for 1 month, but still no VIN or title/registration. This is very frustrating, its starting to get cooler, by the time is gets registered, I'm afraid it will be too cold. Well, I don't care how cold it is, I will drive it.

Has anyone else here gone through the VIN/title process with VA DMV? How long did it take? No one at DMV can give me any specific answers, everytime I talk to someone, I get a different story.

I'm just starting to get impatient. The Cobra is just sitting in the garage waiting to be driven. I've given in a few times and made the 2-3 mile loop outside my neighborhood, but that has been just a tease. I don't know how much longer I can be patient.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Smile VA Registration Time

I bought my Cobra in 2002 and it was registered as a 65'. Last year I got a notice from DMV that I had to re-register my car as a 2002. I sent my title to the DMV and waited about 2 months before they sent me the new title. But at least I could drive the car during that time. They are really slow so you might want to give the DMV a call in Richmond and find out whats taking so long. I know this answer doesn't help very much but like I said they take their sweet time titling cars. My car is now titled as a 2002 Specially Constructed Vehicle instead of a 65' Cobra.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

When you get your paperwork back from the DMV please post and let us know how you did. I'll be going through the same thing next year and I'm sure others are will too. Thanks.
Bill Stradtner
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #095, w/ 1966 428
Not Ranked     

Let me know how things turn out. I didn't have any problems but this guy did.
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/...ic,4788.0.html
Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update... So I originally sent my paperwork in mid-August, I sent everything in I was told I needed. Well, it was sent back to me, requesting more info. Since I live in Richmond, instead of mailing, I hand delivered it to the DMV office. However, I had to leave it at the front desk and it was supposed to be routed to the correct office, that was September 1st. Since then I have been calling once or twice a week to try and confirm that my paperwork was received, I couldn't get the same answer twice, 'person is on vacation', 'it's on someone elses desk', 'computer system is down', etc..., but I couldn't get actually confirmation that my application had everthing it needed. I now have a list of phone numbers for different people that I had to contact to try and get a straight answer. I finally got in touch with someone that actually seemed sympathetic to my story and said that she would try to track down my application. She finally found it, and it appears that it was sitting in limbo for 3 weeks due to confusion between offices. After she reviewed it, I was told that I needed 1 other piece of info. I took that in last Thursday. Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from DMV letting me know that my paperwork was sent to the DMV inspector. Now I have to wait for the inspector to call and set up an appointment. I was told that could be 6-8 weeks. So much for driving it this year.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appointment? for what? I thought the state police did the VIN tags. Did they say what the inspector was looking for?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I assume the inspector is a state police officer. Apparently they have to come to make sure the car is road worthy and attach the VIN plate. I just have to wait for them to call me. I have numbers for 2 of the inspectors, so I think I'll wait a week and start calling. I don't want to call too early, I don't want to annoy them.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck. Tell us what happens.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Va Registration

The inspector came to my house to check out the car also. He is a patrol officer armed with a digital camera to take pictures of the serial numbers stamped inside the car's engine bay. I was told he is checking for any stolen parts on the car and cost me $25 which was prepaid of course. He wasn't a problem, freindly guy as a matter of fact. Took him 5 minutes and he was gone. Waited 2 months for my title afterwards! Hope this helps.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As part of the paperwork required, I had to fill out the title application and pay all taxes and title fees in addition to the $120 inspection fee, so I was under the impression that he will bring the VIN plate and title with him.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm finally legal according to DMV. I finally got my VIN plate, title, and tags yesterday. It seems like that took forever. I was finally able to take a legal drive yesterday, under the threat of rain, but that was straight to the shop to get my front-end alligned. Today its beautiful, so I'm counting down the minutes left in the work day so I can go for my first official drive.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Dang! I just drove through Richmond today on my way back from a business trip. How'd I miss you? Anyway, congrats and it looks like you'll have plenty of Cobra weather (above freezing) left this year.
Bill Stradtner
Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     
Smile Franconia DMV

Guys, I'm a proud owner of a New Backdrafter from Vintage Motorsport. Picked up my new baby last week Thursday and I just got insurancxe and I'm looking forward to registering this baby.
Guys I was told that it if I went to Fanconia Virginia things will be a lot easier. Can anyone shed some light on that experience in Franconia VA.?
I'm desperate to begin this process but I want to do it right.
Please give me your opinion on the experience in Franconia or any other place.
I can be reached at 804-615-6330 cell...................
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 429 SCJ,
Not Ranked     
Talking Registering in VA

Check out this link. Should be a little easier now.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=56975
Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

For your information, yesterday I registered my Backdraft. Everything went very smooth with no problem at all. I wanted antique plates and I got them.
I was out of there in 20 minutes.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

For your information, yesterday I registered my Backdraft at the Franconia DMV. Everything went very smooth with no problem at all. I wanted antique plates and I got them.
I was out of there in 20 minutes.
Dexter Skinner

Last edited by SKINNEDR; 03-27-2007 at 06:32 AM..