Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default Connecticut registration experience with an out of state (NY) Cobra

I started building my Cobra in the UK. I finished the build in 2006 and registerd the car in NY where I was living at the time. I commented on this forum that I was surprised that the NY "safety inspection" was really little more than a check for stolen parts and that all other points of compliance (lights, windshield wipers, seatbelts etc) are self certified. I wrote about my NY experience on this forum. My car was finally titled in NY as a "2006 Custom", but because the engine was a 1968, it was not required to be subjected to any emission inspections.

When I was offered a relocation to Connecticut a year later I was pleased to hear that CT has now waived emission inspections for "composite vehicles". However, they have a fairly rigorous set of specification and equipment compliance issues (including proof of ownership of the components) and at that time there was only one composite inspection station in the state, in Wethersfield just south of Hartford. "You don't need an appointment" the lady on the phone said. "Just show up". My car had a NY VIN and a NY engine number and I had a box full of receipts from the UK so I had a feeling I was in for a world of hurt when I showed up for the inspection.

At the inspection, the first reaction from the cops was to ask why I had driven there instead of bringing the car on a flat bed, as the law required. I replied that the car was registered in NY and was insured and so was legally entitled to be driven on CT roads. They had no problem with that. What was clear however was that although they were familiar with inspecting "first registration" composite vehicles they hadn't come across an out of state registration before. Although I had all my CT "composite registration" documents and all my receipts and photographs that the CT website said I needed, they did not look at them. They took my NY title as proof of ownership, asked me what type of car it is ( I said "composite"), they gave me my approval forms, confirming the cars status as a composite, and sent me off to pick up my registration and plates. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

When my title arrived through the mail however the make of car was noted as "2006 Custom", obviously transcribed directly from the NY title rather than the CT registration application. I wondered if this still meant the car was classed as a composite. I went on line and checked and discovered that a 2006 custom is not a composite and is required to pass an emisson test. My car would never pass in a million years.

I contacted the CT DMV website and explained the situation. The very same day I received an answer telling me to go to my local DMV and they would correct the problem. So I did. The receptionist called a manager over, I explained the issue and handed over my registration and title. Five minutes later, she came back with a new registration certificate showing the car as a COMP and emissions compliant. My new title would arrive in the mail she said but in the meantime she had made me copies of the old title and the old registration, just in case i should need them. Brilliant.

The take away of the story is when registering your out of state custom vehicle in CT, make sure they capture it as a composite (if thats what you want) at the time of registration. Also, as an aside, all the DMV people I met during this process were very helpful.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

UKjohnnycobra:

In reading your posting, not sure which CT DMV/Emissions web site you had checked. If needed, enter your Composite VIN in the Emissions Test Date field to verify the registration was processed correctly after you received the paperwork.

http://ctemissions.com/testreminder/testdate.aspx
Old 05-16-2009, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

I wish NY would get their act together faster on the SEMA bill.

Glad your story had a happy ending...

Cheers!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You can thank all those before you... for paving the road you followed. It was never that easy.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Ditto on Cashburn.

Johnny, when are we going for a ride?

Bob
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen, thanks for the comments.

@Don Thanks!

http://ctemissions.com/testreminder/testdate.aspx is the site that I used. I will check it again in a cuople of weeks to make sure I am correctly in the system.

@Cashburn, of course I am grateful to those who paved the way. I never meant to suggest otherwise. I merely thought that the story of an out of state registration may add to this forum's already significant knowledge base on CT registrations.

@ Bob. Love to. Where are you based?

John.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

West Haven. The weather this week is looking sunny and dry, I should be at the Savin Rock (Jimmie's) curise this Wednesday evening.

Bob
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats really quite close to me. This week I will be out of town, though. Is the wednesday cruise a regular thing?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

UKjohnnycobra:

" .........out of state registration may add to this forum's already significant knowledge base on CT registrations."

Good point, I added the link to this Thread to :

Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions

In case you are not aware, the 4Cs ( CT Council of Car Clubs ) on-going effort with the DMV:

CT Council of Car Clubs: 4C's