Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Pinto Rack

I am working on some corrections to the front end. Does anyone have the dimensions of a Pinto steering rack. I am looking for details on the mounting pads and their relation to the rack centerline and also relation of the output shaft (angular) to the mounting pads and to the centerline of the rack

I found the Wilwood drawing which gave some information but is far from complete (and also not to scale). I've been to Flaming River and UniSteer but no details there

I am hoping to find some dimensions to do some layout work to see if it will work before I spend any $$$ or cut any metal

Thanks

Paul
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Do you have a problem with the rack fitting or do have the wrong rack?
most Cobras are set up for the Mustang rack.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wrong rack

The cars were built using a MustangII rack. In correcting for bumpsteer, the rack must be relocated. The mounting bosses of the MII rack get in the way.

I am hopeful the Pinto racks will work, but I want to do a layout first.

Paul
Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Paul
I thought the two were the same except for the mounting ears on the Mustang II unit. Pinto doesn't have them.
I could be wrong though.
Larry
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Same rack in Pinto and Mustang II, manual rack has 2 mounting points, those with Power Steering had 3. Many power steering racks are used in these cars because of the faster ratio (??) or they are easier to obtain.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a bump steer kit you can buy to fix that so you dont have to move brackets i think Speedway sells it........
Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

also dont forget that most if not all kits have the rack offset to the passenger side 1 inch.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Still looking

Still looking for a dimensional drawing.

For the guys who have posted, there is a difference between a Mustang II and Pinto 71-72 rack. If you're curious or need some education, look at the pictures on the Flaming River site.

And bump steer kits are only one part of a solution. DON'T just put a kit in and think it corrected bumpsteer. If you don't know the difference, suggest some in-depth reading before going down this road.

Paul
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a flamming river, rack set up on mine, and I am running the mustang 2 style front suspension, Im using the art morrison chrome moly upper and lower a arms, if done right, you shouldnt need a bump steer kit, I also ran a vibration dampner, at the last joint closest to the steiring wheel, I have no vibrations or any problems at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Paul, I have what I believe is a 75 design Pinto Rack. I will be removing it soon do to wear. I am trying find out if I can use an MII. Flaming River Tech was no help. I can give you numbers once I remove the unit.

Also I have 3 mounting points and it is not power steering.

Pinto's did use 1/2" ends.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 01-04-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

The problem we are chasing on these original Hurricanes is the vertical mounting position of the M2 rack in relation to the other steering components. Therefore comparisons to other cars are meaningless. A bump steer kit is not a "one-size-fits-all" solution and in this case it is not a preferred resolution. We know how to solve it, we are just wanting to investigate using an alternative rack so as to lessen the rack mounting mods that have to be done (in turn making it easier to resolve on the existing cars that may be affected.)
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pinto is Different

Ralphy,
Posted more info on the thread you started about the Pinto Rack. In a nutshell, it is different and unless you are designing a new car (or redesigning to correct a design fault), the MustangII and Pinto racks will not interchange. The are very similar and serve the same function, but that is where the similarity ends.

Bumpsteer is a design issue and you can create problems by interchanging parts that aren't exact size duplicates. Bumpsteer is a relatively simple concept although the resolution can be pretty complicated. Resolution can be as simple as bolting on some different parts or as complicated as redesigning the entire suspension.

If you want to learn more, look at the Longacre or Woodward Steering sites

Paul
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Paul I read your postings more thorough after my posting. I understand where you are going. I have the some what the same questions. Just with a different rack.

Thought I could be of some help as far as factory position, but not.

What the hay, what was I typing last night? If your interested, the 73 style looks to be more universal and easier to move. However they don't sell them at speed shops. You can buy a rebuild.

Last edited by Ralphy; 01-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Added last P