21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     
Default Body Buck

Does anyone have the drawings for the old style body buck that was used for the original bodies, preferably a 427? thanks Carl.
Alefernandes7 likes this.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Both FFR and Hurricane have body buck plans available in their forums or through links.. Not sure how they would fit the original but sure someone here can pitch in....
Old 04-07-2008, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

The buck I am looking for is the one used as the pattern for the aluminum body used for forming and fitting not storing.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Sorry, bucking up the wrong tree...good luck, that's very ambitious...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

try this website.

some of the guys here scratch build their car bodies from aluminum

http://www.metalmeet.com/
Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     
Default Body Buck

Are you looking something like this?
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yah thats it,or very close to what I'm looking for. Carl

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That's not fair jberg, first post, one small picture! Get some more in your gallery that looks like some good stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fair or not but few more pictures added to my callery ;-)

I just realise that I could collect a set of drawings for body buck purpose for those who will made alumium body. I think that it is enought if there is about 30% of these plywood parts used for that purpose. And they should use some 12-20mm plywood not 4mm as I do.

I just don't know yet that how accuracy these drawings are but that is sure that there is a lot of "fine tuning" needed before shape is correct (or beter say that near enough).

As you can see I din't made these for body buck becasue my plans is that I will made a set of molds and then body from those molds.

So it looks that I start my project from different point that others. All seem's to made first chasis and bought body for that.

Well typical for me to do all in hard way ;-)
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks good ,but are the dimensions and radaii available so I can draw one out full size to do my own body? If so PM me or email so to make sending easier. Thanks Carl.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent, another one that likes doing things the hard way! You are in the right place. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't have much measures in my drawings. I just print these out in 1:1 scale (yes I have plotter in work...) and use those print outs as a model/template for plywood parts. I have only one measure in each drawing so that I could check that it is realy in 1:1 scale after printing. Othere side of body is mirror image so I just nail/stample two plywoods togethere before I cut those to shape so that I get both side once time =>so body should be at least symmetric in that point of view.

Those plywood parts then fit together like lego blocs (or that was my plan but some tunig is needed here...) so I don't have any assembly drawings for these. Distance between parts is 55mm in one direction and an other direction distance I don't need to know beasue there is cut outs in plywood for parts in that direction.

I alredy know many thinks what I should do differently if I start made this again. So if I had some time I should made own set of drawigs for body buck purpose if there is a really need for those. That could take few days but when those days are I don't know or promise anything about that.

I have these drawings (I add few print screen pic as a sample to my callery) in autocad format (and pdf format for printig purpose).

I also use 3D-model where I check some measures (like height of some point from "ground level") etc time to time when I put these plywood parts together.

I also need to say that you could get that bodybuck easier if you just bought one fiber body and fill it some stuf like cement and hammered those aluminium parts against that ;-)

If you anyway (after long excuse text above) belive that you could use these I may sent these to you so PM some e-mail addres to me (and if you have some hopes about format let me know).

And one "disclimer".... Before I sent these to anyway I think that I should made some short instruction how to use these. I should also remove/mark some of these "sections" what I know that are not so accuracy but that may take some time before I have time to do that. So PM me if you think that you may use these and give me few days/week and I made some short instruction and zip these to one package

Looks that I finaly should start my own build thread and wish list about thinks what I need like chassis drawings for begining...

Ps. Sorry about all spelling errors etc. Enghlis just isn't my mother language...

Pss. Time difference cause that I'm always one day late in replies.
cdnus likes this.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
Ps. Sorry about all spelling errors etc. Enghlis just isn't my mother language...
I think you are doing just fine!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are doing just fine, it's been proven that spelling isn't real important to get message across, there has been a story floating around for years that is totally mispelled and it can still be read. Carl

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

JBerg that is freaking awesome! I am amazed at how much you have done in the limited space that you have, I will never complain again.
That expanding foam is fun to work with is't it? it seems to have a life of its own, just when you think it id finished growing you wake up to find more bubble here and there! I just finished using on it on my new diving helmet design.
Have you tried using a hot knife to cut it? I made my own with piano wire and a battery charger and it works great! slices right through it like butter.

Anyways, you should start your own build thread.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I made a quik model about body buck (see pic) just to see what it takes to modify my plans to alu-buck...

- So what you thik is this 3d-model enough sections for alu-body buck?

63Mercury: I may do dwg-drawing of each sections in 1:1 scale and sent tohose to you. Then you have to add all needed measures, radii etc info to those whaat you need. Or you may just print out those somewhere in 1:1 scale and copy to plywood like I do.

I have not yet figuret out that how to sent PM with attachmen so if you have some e-mail addres what you like to use PM it to me.

You propably use thiker plywood that what is used in these model (5mm) so you need to made large holes to x-parts for those z-parts (dont know how to explain but see pic...).

I try to look replyes during next week and depending yours comment I may continue to do these buck-drawings

Now I will go to spend weekend bye driving snowmobile. We still had plenty of snow here.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
Now I will go to spend weekend bye driving snowmobile. We still had plenty of snow here.
Where are you?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

An easier out may be to just tool off of a willing accomplices car. find an owner with an agreeable body shell and just fit you measurements from it with a radii gauge and some masking tape....a case of beer or some bbq may help!
I found my fiberglass body quite handy as a test form while making aluminum parts on the e-wheel. If you were to buy a body it would even make a decent hammer form with enough support and reinforcement to produce an alum. shell
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile Bucks

This was built from scaleing 'up ' model car drawings- 1/2" ply formers then fill in gaps with styrofoam , then dry wall compound & lots of dust - same with wooden Daytona in my gallery. A lot of work in the Daytona case, but worth it in the sense that if you make a boo boo its not a big deal to fix, just more MDF & Epoxy + File/Rasp time. Plus its strong enough to push alloy against check fit etc.

Joey HV- Jberg is from Finland I think, he is doing better with the English than some of us that use it all the time.

Jac Mac
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

An ingenious Kiwi good man Jac Mac! I would love to see you with a CMM (coordinate measuring machine) at your disposal.

Last edited by mickmate; 04-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Thought of something else !