Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Midstates Update ! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/110642-midstates-update.html)

Mike_I 05-25-2012 07:15 PM

Rear Roll Bar Pic!

1 Attachment(s)
Rear Roll Bar Pic!

Mando 05-25-2012 07:39 PM

Great work, love this thread.

Regards.

Mike_I 05-25-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mando (Post 1192097)
Great work, love this thread.

Regards.

Thank you Mando!! I have burned a lot of hours on this so far. Hope to have her running in a few weeks.

Mongoose930 05-25-2012 08:13 PM

Hi Mike - The car looks awesome. Just got mine back from Nick with the new aluminum fuel tank and aluminum fender liners in the back. You will have to ask Nick for pictures of the fender liners as you will absolutely need to have them...

Mike_I 05-25-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose930 (Post 1192106)
Hi Mike - The car looks awesome. Just got mine back from Nick with the new aluminum fuel tank and aluminum fender liners in the back. You will have to ask Nick for pictures of the fender liners as you will absolutely need to have them...

Thanks! How bout a pic of the tank in your car too. I would love to see it. I want to do the tank as well. Gotta hide some cash in the tank fund. :LOL:

As for the fender liners, I agree. They are an absolute must do!! I always disliked the way I could see the ground loooking behind the rear tire. Nick sent me some pics while he was making yours.. Like everything nick does, NICE stuff..

Mongoose930 05-26-2012 06:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike,

I have attached a couple of pictures with the latest upgrades.

First is a shot of the tank from behind the car. What a big improvement and a very nice upgrade if I do say so myself:

Attachment 20462

I was also lucky enough to find an original ENOTs gas gap to compliment the new tank:

Attachment 20463

Lastly, Nick added original style hardware for the quick jacks:

Attachment 20464

Next big project will be to get the radiator laying down at the proper angle. Nick has already welded up the frame & brackets. I just need to save up for the radiator and misc. trim pieces.

Mike_I 05-26-2012 06:46 AM

Wowa!

WOW, that looks great! Love the look of the tank peeking out from underneath. Tell Nick he's punished for not sending all these new additions down south. :LOL: Ya'll better be nice to Nick up in your neck of the woods or us southerners will kidnap him and move him down here! :D

Mongoose930 07-02-2012 05:35 AM

Hi Mike,

I just sat down and read this entire thread. You have done an absolutely incredible job upgrading your Cobra - lots of hard work, research and dedication. Keep us posted on your progress and more pictures please.

Mike_I 05-02-2013 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the long delay in the posting my progress. Got the car up and running and have logged around 700 miles on it.
Now, a totally different car with the IRS vs the old Boat anchor 9". Additionally, the overall look of the car is much more
period correct with all the new goodies. Everything came out better than I could have imagined.

Anyway, when I first put it back on the road I figured I would drive it around "easy" and not get into the throttle
too deep until I had time to install the watts linkage.... Stay out of the throttle in a Cobra... Yeah, that worked out well.. I ended up breaking one of the lower jag arms at PART throttle (ok, maybe it was a little more than part but I was in 2nd gear :)) and
ended up having to pull them both out and add some gussets. THEN, before I drove it again I installed the Watts linkage.

Mike_I 05-02-2013 11:51 AM

Watts Installed!

1 Attachment(s)
Acton Custom Watts Linkage......Installed... No more Broken LCA's %/

Mike_I 05-02-2013 12:06 PM

Fluidyne...

1 Attachment(s)
So,then I started looking at the leaking 20+ year old stand up radiator and thought, boy a Fluidyne like the CSX 4000 cars would be a nice upgrade. I ordered a FHP-35 shelby radiator and took some measurements. I then made a cardboard box the same size as the Fluidyne for the mock up. I could now make the brackets and take the box in and out of the car easily without using and tearing up the new radiator. I setup the new radiator at a 30degree angle which I measured off of a CSX 4000 car.

Mike_I 05-02-2013 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also had to make an upper radiator strap to the same dimensions as the CSX 4000 cars. One other problem that I ran into was that the old midstates hood hinges were huge and would hit the radiator unless the top of it was shoved way back towards the firewall. I ended up making a new set of hinges that were smaller and looked similar the the shelby hinges. This allowed me to install the radiator in the right place for that period correct look.

Mike_I 05-02-2013 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Moving right along, I used my trusty harbor freight sheel metal brake and some pictures from the forum to duplicate the top aluminum panel in front of the radiator. I also ordered and installed a Kirkham billet 427 style expansion tank that bolts to the small block windsor motors. Additionally, the electric fan and fan brakets were aquired from Nick at acton custom.

Mike_I 05-02-2013 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here she is in all her Glory... Next order of business will be to duplicate the csx 4000 oil cooler shroud and surrounding sheet metal and install the oil cooler. Thanks for looking.. :3DSMILE:

Mike_I 05-02-2013 12:48 PM

More pics...

1 Attachment(s)
Period correct moto lita split steering wheel(although 15") and dash.