Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     
Question

Hi guys! Not trying to hijack the thread, but am wondering what CAD program everyone is using? I'm considering trying to do a 289.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

John, thanks for that we'll see how much interest it gets or maybe dig up some earlier and unanswered threads. Jay I am using Autocad light. Alex, I think it is rim width (actual not specified) minus the backspace (smaller on original 6 pin front)times two. Subtract that number from the track. Whattya think?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Try these

Front rim 7.5" measures 8.5"/2=4.25"-2.75"=1.5"x2=3"
Track is 53.96"-3"=50.96" is my new flange to flange!
Comments....................
Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey.. How you guys sourcing your bodies for these projects?
Adrian
Old 02-25-2005, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 Leaf Spring - On Hold
Not Ranked     

Jay,

I am using Microstation but I can save in AutCAD and a few others.

Adrian,

I am still up in the air on what material and whose body I am going to use although it will be a slabside. They are available for just about any body style. If I had dimensions to build a buck, I would do it myself.

--Mark
Old 02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark
Very high quality 289 slab side body is available from hawkcars in uk molded from genuine 289 car, try www.hawkcars.co.uk
Adrian
Old 02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian472

Mark
Very high quality 289 slab side body is available from hawkcars in uk molded from genuine 289 car, try www.hawkcars.co.uk
Adrian
How much do you think it would cost to send one of those bodies across the pond???
Old 02-25-2005, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark
Speak to Gerry Hawkridge at Hawk cars i know he has shipped several bodies to the states in the past, he also has a 427 mould taken from his AC Cobra 427 COB car.
Adrian
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll have a body or two at Carlisle, look me up.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by mr bruce

I'll have a body or two at Carlisle, look me up.
Mr Bruce,

You can count on it.

--Mark

P.S. Bring a slab if you can.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Been there, done that. Doing it again but this time it's for the very last time. Back in the early 80's there were not many good kits that fit what I was doing, So I so I built my present car.
The frame and body work was a peice of cake.
Wiring and the other details took way to much time.
Sounds like you guys are trying to build one of these cars close to original specs. For those that are doing this I submit that you really are WAAAAY ahead to use a built frame and just modify it. Now of you are building a NOS car, well that's another story.
Good luck on your adventures. Scratch building a car is not that much fun to me anymore.
cobrashock
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech, 460 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default scratch building

I am sort of scratch building. Bought a used old Hi-Tech frame that needs a bunch of love. Most of the important stuff is there. What I need to know is where can I get proper A-arms front and rear. I would prefer to build them but have no specs. Anyone willing to share a-arms B-prints I would appreciate it. I also need a rear hub carrier. I dont even know where to start on that one. As for the diif I plan to use a jag but again need the brackets that hold it in place. If I build my own A-arms do I use a Granada spindles? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Take a look at my gallery!

I have some excellent Hi Tech stuff on the rear and some Shelby stuff on the front. If you put some pictures in your gallery so we can see what you're doing I will send you some scanned stuff if you give me an e-mail. What are Granada spindles? Are you looking at Doms stuff? Fabricate a rear upright with locally available spindle!
Cheers Nick
Old 02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are the 427 lower arms the same dimensions as the 289's? I know the shock mount is different. What is the dimension from the centerline of the bushings to the center of the balljoint on the 427? Only reason I ask is because I can supply the 289 front lower arm drawings. Also, the 289 uses 1 1/8" tubing for the arms, what does the 427 use?

Mick, any chance you could scan the body tubing drawing and send it?

Thanks,

--Mark
Old 03-01-2005, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building from scratch
Not Ranked     
Default Who is CRUZER5531

I did receive a private message from Vic Cruzer5531 requesting information on frame deninsions. I tried to reply but he is not set up to receive replies?

Nick,
I will have to re measure but I think from outside of rotor to outside rotor is about 53". Of course when I get things totally together and rotors back on, I will have all the measurements.

That is what I will be doing towards the end of the week and weekend. I really need to get this together and figure out the offsets and get the wheels ordered.
Did you ever get squared away with Vintage as that is who I am planning on ordering from since I have not found any on parts for sale.

Also, remember I am setting my car up to race, both drag and some road.
I did not get to work on my project last weekend, a friend had VIP tickets to the opening HOOTERS race at Lakeland Fl. so no doubt where I was.
Cobracer#15
Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark, it looks like 10.9" on the front lower a-arm. I will scan in some birdcage detail for you and see if it looks like it will work. PM me with your e-mail address.
Alex, Vintage are super product, people and service. You won't do better. With the aftermarket wheels like Vintage and the bigger backspace looks like your track is close. Try setting up wheels to that spacing inside that body, you may find the body is a little narrow (though I hope not).
I hope I didn't scare off dashbac.
cobrashoch don't build us up on building your own frame and not have any pictures for us to look at!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building from scratch
Not Ranked     
Default Lower Control Arm Measurements

Mark, Nick,

I believe the stock lower control arm measurements on the 427 was 9 1/4" same as the top. That measurement was from center of bushing to center of ball joint. That was a wile back using a tape measure.
If you need the exact / correct measurement information, please call Cobra Restorers here in Kennesaw Ga. or look on their web page.
Part number for the original lower control arm is CP3100-1 for the left and 3100-2 for the Right.
Upper numbers are CP 3200 for left and right.

Alex
Cobracer#15
Old 03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

How hard would it be for a newbie to get some plans to scratch-build a Cobra frame? Where would I source the parts and pieces- ball joints, heim joints, etc...?
This sounds like an interesting project to tackle- am I crazy to think of taking on this project without intimate knowledge of steering geometry, engineering requirements, Roll center, or other racing disciplines?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Three Peaks

How hard would it be for a newbie to get some plans to scratch-build a Cobra frame? Where would I source the parts and pieces- ball joints, heim joints, etc...?
This sounds like an interesting project to tackle- am I crazy to think of taking on this project without intimate knowledge of steering geometry, engineering requirements, Roll center, or other racing disciplines?

Thanks,
Bob
How hard? Depends on your fabrication skill.

Parts source? George Petrus, Kirkham, Shelby, Cobra Restorers, etc. for original style parts.

Crazy? Define crazy....

Knowledge of suspension geometry? None if building the same as originals.

Plans? Got 289 Leafspring chassis plans. Will share for food, knowledge or help.

--Mark
Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Looking more for the 427 style frame with coilovers front and rear, hoping to design in an IRS system. Maybe a few other modifications to bring it up to present standards for stiffness and ride quality.
I'm thinking the original plans will give me dimensions for the basic layout, then I can modify from there? Make sense? Where is the best place to get a set of plans?

I know this sounds crazy, but how much more expensive would it be to build the frame out of stainless like the Kirkham style?