Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   Scratch builders (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/61863-scratch-builders.html)

Hilton van Dyk 09-16-2006 02:01 AM

Hilton

[Hi Alex

I am a new member to the club and I am embarking on building a cobra. I have purchased a number of books but there no specs on chassis etc.I live in South africa and there are a number of Cobra Clubs but nobody is seems to be to eager to help with any information.
I would be very greatful for any information you could pass on.

Regards Hilton

Alex Evonosky 09-16-2006 11:51 AM

Cobra Drawings

Hilton,
Drawings are avilable at cobrarestorers on the net.They are located in Kennesaw Ga.
There are no suspension details on the drawings.
You will have to do as we did, design your own, or use MII parts. There is quite a bit of detailed information on here to follow or ask specific questions.

Thank you,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilton van Dyk
[Hi Alex

I am a new member to the club and I am embarking on building a cobra. I have purchased a number of books but there no specs on chassis etc.I live in South africa and there are a number of Cobra Clubs but nobody is seems to be to eager to help with any information.
I would be very greatful for any information you could pass on.

Regards Hilton

spl310 09-16-2006 01:14 PM

Has anyone compiled a listing of companies that sell just bodies without requiring the purchase of a frame? I want just a body - 289 preferably - as I have a production car chassis which I will be using.

Three Peaks 09-16-2006 05:32 PM

Which production car chassis will you be using?

Do you know the difference between a "stressed" body and a "non-stressed" body? If you don't know for sure, you should be careful what body you buy as they each take a completely different mounting system. In fact, if you buy a "stressed" body, which must be bonded to the chassis somehow, have you figured out how you are going to attach it to your chassis?

Most bodies aren't really set up to just drop onto a production car chassis without major revisions.

You can quite often find bodies on ebay. In fact, I think there is one available right now. Do your search under "cobra replica" and you may find it.

mickmate 09-16-2006 05:43 PM

Hilton you need to talk to Dom. He is in South Africa and is one of the best Cobra builder resources on here. He is building his own and I believe is a rep for a couple of South African Cobra companies.
SPL130 there are a couple of companies making 289 bodies. I believe Mr Bruce will be able to help you out. As Bob points out e-bay is one of the best resources huh Alex?

Dominik 09-18-2006 05:44 AM

Kzn

thanks Mick,

I sent Hilton a PM.
unfortunately I'm 2 hours by plane away from him...

dom

mickmate 09-18-2006 07:47 PM

........and how many hours away from me :D and your point is ???
Put a pic or two in your gallery, we wanna see your suspension.
Cheers mate.

stangden 09-19-2006 01:32 PM

new guy

Wow! You guys are on top of your game. I'm a new member and just found this thread. Took me a while to catch up on the discussion. I'm glad I did though there's a lot of things that were brought to my attention that I need to address on my frame. Glad I decided to join Club Cobra. During my Cobra internet surfing there was a lot of times this site came up, now I see why. Thanks for starting this forum. Looking forward to lots of sharing and chatting about scratch building my Cobra.
stangden (Dennis)

mickmate 09-22-2006 07:24 PM

8785 views I'm glad to TTT this one! Welcome aboard Stangden. Hopefully you'll ask questions, make suggestions and keep it alive over here.
Cheers

troll 07-17-2007 08:33 AM

mloy
Do you have some good drawing or more photo's of the 289 leaf sping frame.I would love to see some.Kirkhams had pictures awhile back.Im kind of a antipersncity fellow. I kind of wonder what a Ferrari would sell for if one left the persncity out.Weve become buyers of the stuff.YES IM VENTING AS 63 MERC SAID! I saw some (alot) origanal cobras and gt 40'S at millersports park a few days ago.After seeing them right next to the replica's I thought the racer's didnt care about to much of the small details.They were more into reliablity. As long as the brackets and holes are in the right place. I powdercoat in Garage and I wouldnt bother with doing that.Krylon would be fine with me.Those spindle's sure look good by the way. 3 INCH TUBE FRAME ALL THE WAY.
email is n22rj@yahoo.com
I spent last night downloading all the pictures on scratch builders.

1ntCobra 07-17-2007 08:56 AM

Could not find "persncity" in dictionary.com. With the lack of vowels where I would expect them, perhaps this is a Russian word or from Eastern European language.

So I'm not sure what you would like to leave out... :confused:

I bet you might want to check out this site:

http://members.aol.com/CHUCKCOBRA/Dr...s_drawings.htm

troll 07-17-2007 12:25 PM

persncity is fussing about things that dont matter.1 .Too perticular or precise, fastidious, fussy. 2 showing or requiring extreemely careful treatment. Hillbilly slag I guess ! it is in my 25 year old dictionary.

computerworks 07-17-2007 12:38 PM

oh......"persnickety" :)

mickmate 07-17-2007 01:05 PM

Whatever it takes to keep it alive over here I guess!

1ntCobra 07-17-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troll
persncity is fussing about things that dont matter.1 .Too perticular or precise, fastidious, fussy. 2 showing or requiring extreemely careful treatment. Hillbilly slag I guess ! it is in my 25 year old dictionary.

In that case, I'm not sure you'll like the drawings from the website I mentioned. Perhaps someone could do them with crayons on the back of a bar napkin instead. ;)

troll 07-17-2007 03:01 PM

I guess not all are welcome here.

1ntCobra 07-17-2007 04:29 PM

Hey, I used a smiley!!!!!

That guy's website has very detailed drawings of the 289 and Daytona Coupe. Over course they are not cheap. If you are planning on scratch building a 289, that might be a great place to start. If you are only interested in looking at pictures, then they are rather expensive pictures.

I have to admit being a bit persnickety (or however you spell it).

But you are correct, some original owners are not as concerned about originality as function. I remember seeing Dick Smith's original SC at VIR and being suprised at the radiator and cooling fan looking like something out of a replica. Of course I had seen the non-standard bumpers and the padded dash in pictures of his car before, so I knew that the car had other non-original modifications.

Being persnickety, I think the Kirkhams are beautiful cars and works of art. But being somewhat antipersnickety, I probably would opt to drift from originality for function if I ever hit the lottery and get a Kirkham.

troll 07-17-2007 09:31 PM

I saw the drawings many times.No much there is there.2 pictures.Big deal.Its kind of like want a big ass T bone and ending up with the taste of chicken on chips.Persnckity guy in a ferrari the other day stopped at the local cafe.Made sure he got out and opened the hood for all us hillbilly's to see what he had.Probably cost that poor guy $600. just to put the words Ferrari on the engine covers.For the demanding customer.Kirkhams has a $ 15,000. hard top.Do they make one that will take Krylon blue and white for a non demanding customer.Dont get me wrong those boys do a real fine job.Its the persnckity costomer that they want.The ones that have $95,000 to spend on a weekend drive.Not enough to go around is there????.