Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building from scratch
Not Ranked     
Default Blueprints

I often thought it would be great if there was a section on this site for us (I think a lot of us) that are building from scratch to swap information and Ideas so all the information would be in one place. There have been several postings from scratch builders but actually no way to compile them.
I am also building from scratch and using only the 4" tubing frame measuremrements only, and everything else is hand crafted. I am using Pole Position uppers and lowers with Flaming River Rack and pinion.
If you are serious about starting your build and like more information, I can give you the frame measurements, frame jig ideas and such. Please send me a private email.

Thank you, Cobracer
Cobracer#15
Old 02-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Now there coming out of the woodwork! Alex, Dominik, Roger and Grumpy are all good resources on the original style frames. I'm sure there are others out there I'm yet to discover. There are a couple of good threads on geometry you should look at. Check outanti-squat in the 427 chassis and also
roll centers, rear uprights
Cheers Nick
Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Count me in.
Even though I purchased my semi-completed "original" hand-built frame from another builder, there has been an awful lot of fabrication to do on my part.
And here in the panhandle of Texas, there are NOT alot of Cobras to use as a guide.
I have made 3 trips to Vegas in the last year, and while the wife was playing nickel slots I wandered off to the Shelby factory with my trusted digital camera and snapped a few more "referance photos.
I will post some more updated images in my gallery soon.
See ya
Dave
elgecko
Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Come on Dave!

You're just teasing us, get them pics loaded.......... How's your TIG welding practice coming?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Blueprints

Nick,
After my re design and some, actually alot, head scratching, I am putting things back together and should have some pictures of the front end after this weekend.
Hope your project is doing well.

Alex
Cobracer#15
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hi Alex

And here we are hanging around in the parts for sale column! I think you may be onto something here, we'll see if we can get a more dedicated spot for this type of build. You're as bad as the rest of us for working on it instead of photographing progress. I just threw a pic of my near done rear a-arms. I'll get some more shortly, honest I will.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Mickmate
You're teasing us...... he,he
Here's a shot. 2 more new ones in my gallery.

There's alot to do. I pulled the motor to finish up more of the frame and radiator parts.
This thread does need to goes elsewhere, any thoughts.
Dave
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hanging around Parts For Sale

Nick,
Yea, I stop by here probably once or twice a day to see if I can end up with some tires and wheels.
Looks like I will have to go ahead and order the Vintage Wheels as originally planned.

That was my point earlier about one place to hang out for Scratch Builders. Now, there is some good information in almost all parts of the CC Forums.
The information which would be available from scratch builders could also be put to good use by others which might want to indulge changing their set up.
I tried monitoring the All About Racing but not too much useful information for the scratch and design guy guy there.
As we all know, there is a great sense of accomplishment doing it your own way. I like it because you reallllly have to stay on top of your game and plan wayyyyy ahead for what you will be doing next.

Just My .02 worth.
Alex
Cobracer#15
Old 02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 Leaf Spring - On Hold
Not Ranked     

Building a leaf-spring chassis here my band-of-brothers. Have some pics in my gallery, more to come. Now where did I put that new band saw blade......
Old 02-22-2005, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, I also agree about a dedicated spot for us as well. Does anyone know how to request such an animal on this forum?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stand back.........he has a sawzall and a sharpie! Looks like some nice prints mloy, did you see the thread on them recently with some good stuff on spring specs etc? Alex, put some pics in your gallery for these guys. Dave, I thought John had alot of that frame done but there's always alot more details huh. Who else is out there lurking I wonder?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, so I'm not the most sophisticated builder but it works. As soon as I find the new blade for the band saw, I'll use that.

Last night I welded up part of the rear spring tower and fabricated a motor mount after I got the MIG to feed consistently. What a PITA they are when they don't feed.

Mick, I think those plans are the same as I have. Spring specs and all. In fact, I put them in CAD and need to take them to the spring shop next to my work to see if they can make them. Matter of fact, I have almost all of the prints now in CAD.

--Mark
Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mark the legendary Brian Angliss never used jigs or a fixture! They're two of my favourite tools, I like the sharpie with a med at one end and a fine on the other. A little every night is all it takes, that's what I keep telling myself. Half the job is just having a known good dimension or a plan in your head don't you think? Does your MIG have the wire size, contact tip and roller groove matched?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mick,

Truer words have never been spoken when it comes to fabrication. Knowing that the dimension is correct is half the battle the other half is figuring out how to do what. There aren't any instructions included are there? Of course, half the fun is researching how AC did/does it and go from there. You learn a whole lot about these cars, things most folks would never know.

As far as the MIG goes, it came down to the spool galling in its mount. A little lubrication solved the whole problem.

I still need drawings for the body support tubing for the 260/289. If anyone knows who has them and would like to sell a copy, please let me know.

I need some education on Brian Angliss, pardon my ignorance. I did read somewhere that most cars from the factory are far from straight and true (both chassis and body).

There is one thing any builder needs to keep in mind: While the whole project is dawnting in itself, if one reduces the technology anyone can build anything. Machines are wonderful tools to work with and can make work easier and quicker but people can build things too. This is paraphrased from Dave Gingery's philosophy. Many a time I pondered, "How in heck am I going to fabricate that without one of those?"

"Knowledge comes from study, and skill is developed by repetition. You can learn what you need to know, and you can practice. Each skill you acquire enhances your overall ability to acquire new skills." - Dave Gingery

--Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by mickmate

Half the job is just having a known good dimension or a plan in your head don't you think? Does your MIG have the wire size, contact tip and roller groove matched?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If any one would care to read Dave Gingery's philosophy go to: Dave's Philosophy
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mark, one of the 427 drawings I have show good detail on the birdcage if that will help. I believe the bodies are very close as far as that goes, isn't it just a wider body with beaten out fenders? Hey sounds like you're doing a stroke of business on the CAD. I have started laying out my front suspension on CAD to check roll centers, upright dimensions etc. Where did you get your front uprights BTW they are sweet, and have you got any measurements on them yet per chance. I would like to get the front end drawing where I can bump or rebound and see what it does to toe but I'm not that good with CAD yet. If I can get it drawn I'll call in the experts from there. I took a scan of the upright drawing and put it into CAD, scaled it till I got a known dimension (like a rotor diameter) and can pull some pretty good numbers off it from there.
Cheers Nick
Old 02-24-2005, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,
I will have to learn how to post pictures.

Just courious, what kind of jig did you guys use for your frame?
I am sure there are easier ways than what I made.

I am now working on figuring what offset I will be needing to order my wheels.
What are some of the measurements you guys have from hub to hub on the front?

Alex
Cobracer#15
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Guys,

If you want a dedicated forum area for posting scratch build topics, you only have to request it from Brent Mills......I am sure he would set it up.

John
Old 02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Flange to flange or track

Hey Alex, try a search. There's a couple of interesting threads on this already. I find them interesting as it seems no one knows or will share the info. I think the front flange to flange is 52.7-52.75" and I didn't make the number up ;-) What do you think it is?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Flange to flange or track

Mick,

If I knew, I would share that info. Some folks share info, while others do not as you well know....

--Mark

(and others will for a price)

Quote:
Originally posted by mickmate

Hey Alex, try a search. There's a couple of interesting threads on this already. I find them interesting as it seems no one knows or will share the info. I think the front flange to flange is 52.7-52.75" and I didn't make the number up ;-) What do you think it is?