Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   CSX4158 For Sale, but Salvage due to Flood (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/101988-csx4158-sale-but-salvage-due-flood.html)

Excaliber 01-12-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

...if you have the skills, knowledge and tools to do most of, if not all, the work,
That is the key right there! Paying retail for the labor is a huge unknown can of worms that could quickly bury you in expense. With a salvage title your pool or buyers is reduced, the expected price is reduced, but not nearly as bad as a regular car would be. It is STILL a very desirable vehicle and there IS a market for it. Myself, I wouldn't plan on selling it, I'd do the car for ME and keep it.

I wouldn't replace the frame, by the way, unless examination showed it was just to far gone, which I doubt. The risk I would assume would NOT include replacing the frame. If I had to do that, whew, I'd be major bummed out.

ZOERA-SC7XX 01-12-2010 05:54 PM

The only thing needing replacement would be the seats, carpeting and all the gaskets. You would, however, have to disassemble the entire car, engine, trans and rear, etc. I would do just that & clean every component before reassembly. Big job, but may be worth it for the right guy.

rustyBob 01-12-2010 06:02 PM

If i had a chance at that car,even with a junk title i would use it for a race car.....
most of whats left there can still be used as far as the engine,trans,rear end
but the wireing, upholestry would have to be replaced.....
it does have a history now.......

ZOERA-SC7XX 01-12-2010 06:11 PM

Wires would be okay unless you tried to start it wet and shorted everything out.

thudmaster 01-12-2010 07:16 PM

Ernie, I think the frame change was to get a new mos and start over......I may be wrong ;)

Trueoo7 01-12-2010 07:49 PM

So what happens with a salvage title... you can't get it registered or drive it on the road?

Excaliber 01-12-2010 08:01 PM

Ed, your right, I think the primary goal there was to get a "clean title". Not worth the expense or effort in my opinion.

It can be registered with a salvage title and insured and driven just like any other car. Typically it reduces the re-sale value by about 50% and it scares away a lot of potential buyers as well. The impact will be less severe because this type of "kit car" (I'm still chuckling over the insurance description) is not "ordinary". It will still retain a significant percentage of it's worth regardless of a salvage title.

Actually, the way to do it is this. Register it in Oregon, then transfer to any number of states that effectively "wash away" the salvage part and end up with a clean title when your done. One such state that can and does on occasion, allow a salvage title to become a regular title is Hawaii. It has a lot to do with what you say when you register and how you present your "case" to the DMV. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying... :) It happens, it's been done, heck YOU might be driving that used car with a clean title right now, you or your neighbors. It's fairly common actually.

You won't fool SAAC though, the history WILL be known at some point. This aint no Ford Focus were talking about it that will "blend in" with the crowd! :)

RodKnock 01-12-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 1017757)
Actually, the way to do it is this. Register it in Oregon, then transfer to any number of states that effectively "wash away" the salvage part and end up with a clean title when your done. One such state that can and does on occasion, allow a salvage title to become a regular title is Hawaii. It has a lot to do with what you say when you register and how you present your "case" to the DMV. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying... :) It happens, it's been done, heck YOU might be driving that used car with a clean title right now, you or your neighbors. It's fairly common actually.

You won't fool SAAC though, the history WILL be known at some point. This aint no Ford Focus were talking about it that will "blend in" with the crowd! :)

....AND the reason why I started the thread here and someone else started it on the SAAC Forum.

I have no idea when the flood was, or if it was fresh or salt water, but that stuff would be everywhere. Absolutely, the entire car would have to be completely, as buddy would say, taken down to "parade rest."

snakehunter 01-13-2010 09:06 AM

...and that's why I'll be documenting everything thoroughly as I rebuild the car. Cars with stories are fun, cars with issues aren't!

Hello all, glad to see my new project is getting some attention
;)

B.M.B.C 01-13-2010 09:15 AM

[quote=snakehunter;1017940]...Great username!! Cars with stories are fun, cars with issues aren't! - Very True!!!

Hello all, glad to see my new project is getting some attention- oh yeah!!

RodKnock 01-13-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakehunter (Post 1017940)
...and that's why I'll be documenting everything thoroughly as I rebuild the car. Cars with stories are fun, cars with issues aren't!

Hello all, glad to see my new project is getting some attention
;)

Welcome! It's nice to have you here. I wish you the best of luck with your CSX.

MaSnaka 01-13-2010 09:47 AM

This story of this poor Cobra makes me think that the turkey bag Patrick stores his car in is a great idea. Might have prevented some if not all the water damage. I guess if you know a floods acomin'...

John

rustyBob 01-13-2010 12:17 PM

welcome Snakehunter, this will be a very interesting rebuild to say the least......
i only wish you the best of luck and am looking foward to the updates.......

Excaliber 01-13-2010 01:15 PM

Well let's hope this turns out to be a car with a story and not a "storied" car. :) The later could easily fall into the "air car" division.

mickmate 01-13-2010 02:05 PM

Excellent snakehunter you checked in here. I wanted that car but couldn't swing it right now. You scored a bargain and a real piece of American automotive history. If you need any help, parts or advice let me know. Great score!

RedBarchetta 01-13-2010 03:57 PM

I hope snakehunter takes the time to start a separate thread and document every aspect of the restoration (along the lines of Fasterpatrick's scratch build).

Congrats on the purchase (I think...jury is still out on that one, I suppose).

-Dean

cobrakiwi 01-13-2010 04:04 PM

I think if you where looking for the car to keep and wanted a project, I feel it would be very hard to get into a alloy CSX at a better price.
Good buy and good luck with the rebuild.

1985 CCX 01-13-2010 04:45 PM

SMOKIN DEAL! :p

Excaliber 01-13-2010 05:32 PM

Assolutely! Only way I'd ever be able to get into an alloy Shelby!

tkb289 01-13-2010 08:14 PM

snakehunter ...

I'll chime in with the rest of the guys, welcome!

Please keep us posted as to your project and if you need any advice, there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable folks here to lend a hand.

I don't know how the money end of things will work out for you, but if you are a hands on resourceful car guy, it looks like a very worth while project.

The hardest thing will be when the car is rebuilt and back on the road ... is thinking of a suitable vanity plate, perhaps ... WATRSNK :cool: