Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby American, Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/)
-   -   CSX4158 For Sale, but Salvage due to Flood (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/101988-csx4158-sale-but-salvage-due-flood.html)

RodKnock 01-10-2010 09:41 PM

CSX4158 For Sale, but Salvage due to Flood

I took this thread from the SAAC Forum. I wanted everyone to be informed. Not affiliated.

It also has 2002 SPCNS exemption from CA.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...#anchorDetails

rodneym 01-10-2010 09:59 PM

I wonder if this is the Katrina car I saw in the back at Shelby in LV 2 months ago. If I'm not mistaken, the owner has another. ;)
rodneym

Got the Bug 01-10-2010 10:06 PM

More than likely, the SPCN exemption is no longer valid. The car still might be a great deal and interesting project for someone.

PANAVIA 01-10-2010 10:08 PM

Someone will bring it back. --- it just needs a bath.

Got the Bug 01-10-2010 10:12 PM

BTW - Here's a thread that was started by a former owner of the car. Not sure if he was the last owner.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/ac-cobra/64204-cobra-registration-title-georgia.html

slider701 01-11-2010 05:35 AM

This car must of been owned by the same guy named Kirby over on the www.fordgtforum.com site that also lost a Ford GTX1 (Ford GT with the roof chopped off) in a flood last year.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17761

From the sounds of it the flooding was so bad in Georgia last year that whole sub divisions of houses well outside the 100 year flood plain were covered above their 2nd story roof lines.

What a shame to lose two pieces of automotive history, not to mention probably everything else he lost :(

screwdriver 01-12-2010 09:37 AM

Good car for total resto. if sold it came for resonable bucks.

slider701 01-12-2010 10:24 AM

It appears to have sold for $38,525, not counting any premiums, tax or other charges that the auction could of added on.

rustyBob 01-12-2010 10:55 AM

I guess that would be just about right for a CSX with a junk title......

PANAVIA 01-12-2010 11:09 AM

Someone got a not to bad deal.

RedBarchetta 01-12-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slider701 (Post 1017539)
It appears to have sold for $38,525, not counting any premiums, tax or other charges that the auction could of added on.

They may have twice that in this before it's done. Depends on whether or not the motor is rebuildable as is. All the electrical (including gauges) and interior has to be replaced. Unless you have the right resources, restoring a car in this condition can get expensive faster than you realize.

-Dean

RodKnock 01-12-2010 11:55 AM

I'm not an eagle-eye like many of you, but if the car is an aluminum CSX, then I would say good deal. If the car is a fiberglass CSX, then I would say NOT a good deal.

Personally, based upon absolutely no information, I wonder, assuming the flood was last year sometime, how much mold has grown.

Anthony 01-12-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1017565)
I'm not an eagle-eye like many of you, but if the car is an aluminum CSX, then I would say good deal. If the car is a fiberglass CSX, then I would say NOT a good deal.

It is an aluminum car.

I'm guessing the guts of the engine and tranny, and maybe differential need to be replaced no matter what as well.

Excaliber 01-12-2010 12:27 PM

Well at least the auction company gave it a genuinely correct description... :)

Quote:

Model COBRA KIT CAR

RodKnock 01-12-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 1017572)
Well at least the auction company gave it a genuinely correct description... :)

Rah Roh. The red light on Evan's computer just illuminated. :eek:

Just thinking about it, almost $40K for even an aluminum CSX with a salvage title seems like a lot to me. In general, cars with salvage titles don't get much more than 50% +/- of the market value of a car with a clean title.

Excaliber 01-12-2010 01:22 PM

Being as it's an alloy car, I'd be tempted to take the risk at the price. Is it worth it? Well, are you feeling lucky? It could be a decent buy or it could be a bust. A lot of that depends on the guy who buys it. Me? I'd come out all right on it, I have little doubt of that.

dcdoug 01-12-2010 02:15 PM

The real question for me is what happens when you go to sell it at some point and its marked as a flood salvage car?

Anthony 01-12-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1017599)
Just thinking about it, almost $40K for even an aluminum CSX with a salvage title seems like a lot to me. In general, cars with salvage titles don't get much more than 50% +/- of the market value of a car with a clean title.

A fiinished aluminum 4000 car sells for about $115-125K, or more.

xlr8or 01-12-2010 02:56 PM

If I bought it I would order a new frame from the Kirkhams so you have a new car when done and not a salvage title.

RodKnock 01-12-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1017637)
A fiinished aluminum 4000 car sells for about $115-125K, or more.

Once this CSX is rebuilt, potentially with a new drivetrain and interior, maybe gauges (?), wiring harness (?), paint (?), who knows what else, your cost basis could grow to twice your original investment.

If I'm "all in" at $80K, then I don't think 40K is a good buy, but that's JMHO. Of course, if you have the skills, knowledge and tools to do most of, if not, all the work, then it might look like a better "investment."