Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default Heater

Can any one recommend where I can get a heater for my CSX car? My car did not come with one. I dont really like the vintage air, I am limited to space as we all know the CSX cars have structural bars going up to the cowl (spelling) I dont need defroster just heater only...
Old 11-09-2019, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Did you check with Shelby American?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Can any one recommend where I can get a heater for my CSX car? My car did not come with one. I dont really like the vintage air, I am limited to space as we all know the CSX cars have structural bars going up to the cowl (spelling) I dont need defroster just heater only...
I would start with the specs on the Maradyne 5000 series and see if you can't tuck it back in there. If you've got 7 3/8 in. W x 7 7/16 in. D x 7 1/16 in. H then this will do the trick: http://www.maradynehp.com/h-503012.html
Old 11-09-2019, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks patrick, I dont have the depth for this...
Tony,
Perhaps Ill try there... I have the dash out now, wire the car for EFI and general clean up of the wiring. Also removed the shelby gauges and installed Smiths...
Old 11-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
thanks patrick, I dont have the depth for this...
Alright, some of their stroker heaters will accommodate down to about six inches depth, if you have that.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could also try Hillbank.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This company makes several types of fluid and electric heaters.

Example: https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lig...vents-12v.html (approx 6.7" tall , 4.7" deep, 5.7 wide.) they also make smaller ones.

https://www.t7design.co.uk/products/heating.html
Old 11-10-2019, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
This company makes several types of fluid and electric heaters.

Example: https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lig...vents-12v.html (approx 6.7" tall , 4.7" deep, 5.7 wide.) they also make smaller ones.

https://www.t7design.co.uk/products/heating.html
that looks perfect thank you!!!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Reach out to David Kirkham as he will know what you need and where to get it from.

Bill

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-10-2019, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I have no experience with heaters in open cars such as Cobras.
I had assumed that a heater would be totally useless unless the car had a 'top' fitted.

Is a heater worthwhile fitting? I'm thinking of my own application, so not trying to convince Mike to reconsider his need to fit a heater.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-10-2019, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I had assumed that a heater would be totally useless unless the car had a 'top' fitted.

Is a heater worthwhile fitting? I'm thinking of my own application, so not trying to convince Mike to reconsider his need to fit a heater.

Cheers,
Glen
It's primarily benefit is the winshield defroster. Driving in the rain inevitably fogs the windshield...

As a heater, it would be second place to the primary heater which is the 427 sitting on the other side of the firewall. It can bake a turkey in the passenger foot box.
redvettx2 likes this.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony's right about the defroster. There are some states that require you to have one (a defroster) for registration. Now, you can always whip up a little 12v blow-dryer to get by your inspection, but a nice heater is better and, with the top up and side curtains in, you can warm the cabin up to where it's almost comfortable. I've done that maybe twice in 15 years.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
It's primarily benefit is the winshield defroster. Driving in the rain inevitably fogs the windshield...

As a heater, it would be second place to the primary heater which is the 427 sitting on the other side of the firewall. It can bake a turkey in the passenger foot box.
Mine's a 289 replica, so sounds like I can count on maybe baking a chook

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Tony's right about the defroster. There are some states that require you to have one (a defroster) for registration. Now, you can always whip up a little 12v blow-dryer to get by your inspection, but a nice heater is better and, with the top up and side curtains in, you can warm the cabin up to where it's almost comfortable. I've done that maybe twice in 15 years.
I'm using 12V defrosters (yes, a registration requirement), and at this point I'm not considering a top with side curtains, so you guys have answered my question.

Back to you Mike.

Cheers,
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

All right Glen, What's a Chook???? Or is this the start of a joke, that I just put my foot in my mouth Cheers My friend. You know like "What's a Hen weigh ?"
Old 11-10-2019, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A "chook"? Oh, sorry....Aussie language is a little different obviously.

In Australia / New Zealand / probably England too, a chook is a hen/chicken/fowl ....so it's "why did the chook cross the road?"

Cheers,
Glen

edit: an "old chook" is slang for an older lady, and an "ol' geezer" is a bloke around Tom's age
Gaz64 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by xb-60; 11-10-2019 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Tom made me do it
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I called hillbank, sat on hold for 15 min while the parts girl looked up a heater. she came back saying the valve needed was $60, no idea why. Then she quoted $1100 for a heater!!! I asked to see the heater or some measurements.. she had no idea. I asked for her to send some photos she said she would.... no email sent. what a joke. They are selling CSX cars for well north of $110,000.00 and they have no idea about a heater... I am very willing to make things right on my CSX but if you are buying a car with hopes on dropping in a motor... stay far away from hillbank or shelby american.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I called hillbank, sat on hold for 15 min while the parts girl looked up a heater. she came back saying the valve needed was $60, no idea why. Then she quoted $1100 for a heater!!! I asked to see the heater or some measurements.. she had no idea. I asked for her to send some photos she said she would.... no email sent. what a joke. They are selling CSX cars for well north of $110,000.00 and they have no idea about a heater... I am very willing to make things right on my CSX but if you are buying a car with hopes on dropping in a motor... stay far away from hillbank or shelby american.
They don't install them. They are assembled at the factory in South Africa.

And it is ready to drop in an engine and trans, but the car was not built to your specs. Sorry about that but that's not Hillbank/Shelby American's fault.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
They don't install them. They are assembled at the factory in South Africa.

And it is ready to drop in an engine and trans, but the car was not built to your specs. Sorry about that but that's not Hillbank/Shelby American's fault.
no it NOT ready to "drop in an engine and trans" I could make a list of things I needed to fix. I love the car trust me, and at the end of the day it will be amazing. But some of the things they did while building the car in unacceptable. Hillbank and or shelby should go thru these cars before selling them.
Just the fact that Hillbank could not even provide info on a heater is amazing to me...then try to sell something for $1100.00 that is probably worth $200. I understand making money but that is unacceptable.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
no it NOT ready to "drop in an engine and trans" I could make a list of things I needed to fix. I love the car trust me, and at the end of the day it will be amazing. But some of the things they did while building the car in unacceptable.
Aside from being an entertaining read, doing exactly that could very well save somebody else's rear who is not as savvy with their CSX as you are. I think some owners of these cars think that they are akin to picking up a new Camry from the dealer.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post

Cheers,
Glen
Glen,

Since you said in a post you're not fitting a top, you are correct that a heater would be next to worthless (except for registration purposes, as indicated). If you're trying to extend your driving season in cooler weather, heated seats are the way to go. Check out this site: cobraheat.com.

I have both a heater and heated seats and don't even bother turning the heater on.

Kevin