Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Talking CSX 4000 w/Small Block

First, kudos to the folks @ Auto Cars Direct for the information they continue to provide me on the 4000/7000/8000 series Cobras...it is sincerely appreciated.

And now to the question. In my continuing research, and thanks to an article in a recent Classic Motorsports magazine, found out that there were about +/- 25 original 427 bodies fitted with a small block engine. Advantage of this combination being a car with a more advanced rear suspension and a lighter front-end. Another advantage that I am seeing to equipping a 4000 series car as above involves the cost of a small block versus a big block. New Ford 302 block can be built into a very nice engine with enough horsepower to do the job for significantly less money than a comparable big block.

Resale discussions aside (when I finally pull the trigger on this, it becomes a family heirloom), cannot honestly say I have ever seen this body/small block enigne combination in the many shows I have attended.

By chance, do any members recall seeing a CSX 4000 series configured with a small block? If so, can you direct me to the owner so that I may ask her/him some questions?

As always, appreciate the help.

Bob
Old 07-15-2007, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly, the COB cars were MkII chassis bodies w/ small block power. Sold in England.

Check a Trevor Wingate or Rinsey Mills book for details.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Check a Trevor Wingate or Rinsey Mills book for details.
Check a Trevor Legate or Rinsey Mills book for details.

-John
Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gotta be the European AC 427 bodies that received the small block, of which several did. This is the first refference I've heard concerning a number (20-25). To my knowledge no Shelby 427's were so equiped.

Doesn't Kirkham offer a 427 body style with a small block? Or just their 289 body style?

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-15-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     

Most all AK's ACs (AutoKraft AC's which were nearly identical to coilers, COB and COX cars, were built with 302's that ranged from 200 - 340 hp, a few with 351's and a few with 427's. The weight is lower, the HP can be nearly what ever you want to afford. The sound is not big block, but even that is hard to tell. Probably the biggest give away could be the raw torque and acceleration in some gears/speed ranges. It is a more streetable combination and I've done both...if I could I'd have one of each.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinDurango
If I remember correctly, the COB cars were MkII chassis bodies w/ small block power. Sold in England.
In reference to original Cobras,the prefix of COB was used for both leaf spring & coil spring Cobras sold in the UK by AC (Right hand drive) The COX prefix also used for both leaf spring & coil spring Cobras by AC for cars exported to Europe (Left hand drive)

There were 27 coil spring cars produced by AC with 289's. These consisted of both COX & COB cars.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP, Keith Craft
Not Ranked     

Try searching for posts by "What'saCobra." You'll find that some of those who have driven a lot of Cobras, including the small block coil spring ACs, feel that the latter are the best handling of the bunch.

Off the top of my head, I recall that AC built 27 or so of the small block coil spring cars in about 1966. Of course, many more were built much later by Brian Angliss. As far as I know, Shelby never put a small block in a coil spring chassis.

And yes, Kirkham will set up a 427 chassis up for a small block. Check my gallery and their website.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Bob,

You may want to contact some of Shelby's Dealers, as it's possible a few customers may have opted the small block route? Just for your info, the Shelby CSX4000 Challenge Series Cobra's are small block powered, handle incredible, and are very quick!

- Bill -
Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

HST is installing smallblocks in export (non US) Cobra's. They should have everything you need

I also installed a small block in a CSX car. The car had a 347 with a TKO. I used Kirkham motor mounts and a custom trans mount. I used the 427 sidepipes, making my own headers. The headers were a bit of a challenge because I had to step them from the tiny small block exhaust ports to the 2" 427 sidepipes. The engine was the same that McCluskey uses in the Coupe's and was very healthy. The car sounded like an FE and had plenty of power.

The only reason I did it was because the car was going overseas and it would be easier to import with the smaller engine. I think the owner plans on taking out the small block and putting in an FE once it clears customs!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

For the Kirkham cars, I believe the FIA style car comes standard with the 427 style frame and coil spring suspension. It costs extra to get the original style frame.

I would suspect that the CSX7000 cars may be similar (having the 427 style frame/suspension standard). If that is the case, why not consider putting a small block in a CSX7000 instead of a CSX4000. To me, the small block would seem more natural in the FIA bodied car and you might be able to get the better suspension as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     

All, thanks for the info.

CSX7000 series is configured just as the original Shelby 289FIA small block was configured, meaning leaf-spring suspension and 3" tube frame (not absolutely sure on the frame piece). Kirkham version of 289FIA has an independent suspension as standard, but can get the leaf-spring suspension (kind of a step backward) for about $15k as I recall.

Of note, SAI has not really built that many CSX7000 series from what my friend Bill (Auto Cars Direct) tells me (think it was somewhere south of 60 total).

Roughly about a $15k base delta between CSX4000 and a CSX7000 series.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Bob
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Transverse leafs a 'step backward'? Not at all, it's in keeping with the spirit of the 289 Cobra and it's nice to see a 'step in the right direction'!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I can assure you the leaf spring is not a step back, I have driven both and the 7000 is excellent to drive on and off the track.

Allan