Carroll Shelby - Shelby 427 FE Engine Parts and Services
s
Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby Enterprises Inc.
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Fuel use

With the rising fuel costs I guess consideration needs to be - what miles per gallon am I likely to get out of this beast.. the Shelby 427 aluminum engine crate motor.

The off the shelf crate motors using Shelby 427 aluminum blocks are certainly value for dollar item with dollar parity at the moment.

But the big question - without stating the obvious - is should I go a stroker for better fuel economy or just buy the 427 aluminum Shelby engine.

I currently run a 302 with 347 stroker in my GT40 and find with power to weight and average driving style at 100k (60mph) I can average a good 22mpg.

But after reading that the cast iron blocks are a 10mpg average unit, I was a little put off with stopping every hour for fuel/gas..

What experience have you guys had with the Shelby blocks - taking into account cams etc. What is a best scenario..

Would be keen to see some thoughts on MPG and overall economy if there is such a thing...

Thanks

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 11-13-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now on all Cobra Talk with a Thread title of Left Field Question.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Cubes suck gas with status. I had to have a 427 engine in my Cobra. I only drive about 2,000 miles/year (boo-hoo!) and the $600 for gas at 13 mpg and $4/gal isn't going to break me. I would still pay $400 at 20 mpg. $320 @ 25 mpg. I suppose if I were to do it again I would consider the Coyote engine and get the extra mpg with plenty of power. It really depends on the miles you plan on putting on the Cobra.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WardL

Thanks for the reply.

I will be doing big miles. At the moment I am driving my GT40 quite a lot. So the Cobra will half that??

I have had some feedback about building the 427 for economy driving and will ask my engine builder to go down this path.

Whilst there will be a reduction in horsepower I feel 600HP starting horsepower can take a little bit of a reduction hit.

Like you I want the 427 in particular

There as been some good feedback on All Cobra Talk under my Thread - Left Field Question.

Ward again thanks for your feedback.

The next question I will post will be more specific now I now it is realistic and achievable to build for economy. Perhaps give me cam, tune specs. etc. will make up the basis of my next question. No doubt others have built big block economical motors.

Cheers

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 11-19-2011 at 01:43 PM..