Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby Enterprises Inc. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/)
-   -   Header issue with csx4788 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-enterprises-inc/74236-header-issue-csx4788.html)

RedCSX1 11-12-2006 01:19 PM

John - see pictures

3 Attachment(s)
We just did the headers last week for Matt Gregorys Red CSX. The primaries did appear to be a thinner gauge steel and the side pipes look like they were welded by a third grader. Matt had to call Ted and have him send different side pipes which were much better so we could complete the job. On the drivers side we ended up taking the header to the muffler shop and having them bend all of them 10 degrees so they lined up in the middle of the hole.
To do these headers you need a good welder. Thankfully I have agood one on the hook. We now can complete both sides in about 4 hours. Again they will not fit right out the box as Bill and Kris had already mentioned.

Jamo 11-12-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby racer
When I found out how busy she is, I have decided to not vigorously pursue communication, but I still stand behind everything I have said.**)

Your choice...but the concept of this forum is to foster communications between mfgs and customers. You're getting suggestions from others here and a willingness by the mfg to try to help you solve the problem. Hope it works out. :)

As to whether you're a "gashole" I can't for the life of me recall you ever posting at our site and introducing yourself...at least not under your handle here. :confused:

shelby racer 11-12-2006 07:12 PM

I was not expecting a perfect out of the box fit

Hey Morgan,
after being told for the 10th time that they are not going to fit perfectly out of the box and that they will need to be massaged, I do get it. The pipe that I have for # 5 does not fit by any exhaust port - no matter how much I turn and twist it. The other 7 line up well enough that they need to be massaged and tweaked and welded. My # 5 looks nothing like any one elses # 5 that I have seen. By the way, where is the steering shaft on your driver's side picture?
John(;-)

shelby racer 11-12-2006 07:16 PM

I was hoping for an e-mail / private message reply

Hey Jammo,
I went over to gasholes and posted something so that you could see me. I have been lurking and working on my cobra. I post more often on corner carvers. As far as contacting Amy B, I was / am hoping for email / pm, but chose not trying to call her since I don't think I would be able to get a hold of her. I was also advised by my guy at Shelby to try and arrange a face to face some time.
Thanks one and all for the adviceand support.
John(;-)

Jamo 11-12-2006 07:38 PM

One "m" please.

shelby racer 11-12-2006 07:49 PM

my appologies

I am sorry that I mis spelled your name ja[color="Magenta"][b][i][u]mo. By the way, did you have some brembo 2000 cobra R calipers for sale a couple of years ago on corner carvers?

Johan 11-12-2006 08:14 PM

Is that some sort of engine brake on the flywheel ? Jakko Brake ?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...DSC03310-2.jpg

jdog 11-12-2006 09:09 PM

Steering shaft

Over the steering shaft:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._12_06_024.jpg

Large dimple in pipe:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._12_06_028.jpg

jdog

RedCSX1 11-13-2006 04:59 PM

John, Clearly you do not need advice from me.

jdog, We do not dent #5 at all and if we do it's very little at least less than the picture you posted.

Bill, Your Cobra is looking outstanding. Can't wait to see it up close and in person. :)

jdog 11-13-2006 06:32 PM

Might change it later

Morgan, I might change it out later & re-rout it under the steering shaft. But it's painted flat black and you can hardly see it down inside there. The car is running strong, so for now it's fine.

Everything else on my car seems to be working fine, no differential leaks, so far!

How's your car running?:)

jdog

flowking 11-14-2006 02:18 PM

Ok John, here is the real deal! There were two different sets of tools used to create headers and sidepipes. One set was for the aluminum car and one set of tools for the fiberglass car. The headers supplied to Shelby were marked with a part# of K-7110 F for fiberglass and K-7110 A for the aluminum car.
A simple way to tell if you have the correct set of headers for your paticular car is the #5 tube is a four section tube that passes over the steering shaft.The aluminum car #5 tube passes under the steering shaft. If you use the correct set for your car you do not have to beat them with a hammer!
Check the part # on the box,then check the #5 tube. There is however one caviat to this. You may have a new Shelby header which is supplied by Dynaflex which are pretty easy to spot. The tube is 18 gauge instead of 16 guage and the flanges that bolt the headers to the cylinder head are thin usually 5/16" or even 1/4" instead of 3/8".
This information is gospel and not what someone thinks they know.
Flowking

RedCSX1 11-14-2006 04:09 PM

Give Flowking a Gold Star

Sound like much of what I said but with more detail. Good job Flowking:MECOOL: Too my point it is not necessary to bang the pipe to hell to get it to fit. And I will add the DynaFlex supplied pipes are crap compared to the others they supplied in the past.

dynoroom 11-14-2006 05:53 PM

I'll 2nd what both Morgan & The King have said about this subject. Shelby had headers that fit, they just don't know it.

shelby racer 11-14-2006 08:55 PM

Too Bad I have k70110 headers

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowking
Ok John, here is the real deal! There were two different sets of tools used to create headers and sidepipes. One set was for the aluminum car and one set of tools for the fiberglass car. The headers supplied to Shelby were marked with a part# of K-7110 F for fiberglass and K-7110 A for the aluminum car.
A simple way to tell if you have the correct set of headers for your paticular car is the #5 tube is a four section tube that passes over the steering shaft.The aluminum car #5 tube passes under the steering shaft. If you use the correct set for your car you do not have to beat them with a hammer!
Check the part # on the box,then check the #5 tube. There is however one caviat to this. You may have a new Shelby header which is supplied by Dynaflex which are pretty easy to spot. The tube is 18 gauge instead of 16 guage and the flanges that bolt the headers to the cylinder head are thin usually 5/16" or even 1/4" instead of 3/8".
This information is gospel and not what someone thinks they know.
Flowking

Thanks Flowking,
of course , looking at the invoice I have a part number differnet than either of what you gave me. I will check the box tommorrow. They do have 4 sections, but they seem to want to go up instead of back on the # 5 pipe. The saga continues..

shelby racer 11-16-2006 12:58 PM

"F" headers

2 Attachment(s)
Shelby sent me a new set of driver's side headers that look like my old ones except that they are rusty and the welds are not as nice. My original box had an "F" designation on the end of the part number. By cutting off the tack welds holding the pipe to the flange I can manipulate it to the # 5 exhaust port over the steering shaft where it wedges between the steering shaft and the body support (NO play for engine or side pipe movement). Unfortunately I also cannot manipulate the pipe in from the top (trying to thread it by the end that will connect with the side pipe) or up between the steering shaft and the body support with the flange on the pipe. Suggestions

shelby racer 11-20-2006 08:09 PM

Another # 5 pipe is on its way :)

Thanks again flow king. Gary is sending me another # 5 tube (from an aluminum car this time) which should fit better. I'll post when it arrives.
John(;-)

shelby racer 12-12-2006 11:13 AM

The side pipes and headers are off to caps brite hot coating for ceramachroming

Gary Davis came through - again. I ended up having to have a # 5 pipe from an aluminum car and a # 5 pipe from my fiberglass car cut and rewelded several times, but all 8 pipes fit happily with no denting. My # 5 pipe fits nicely under the steering shaft. I still do not understand why the fiberglass cars' # 5 pipe are supposed to go between the steering shaft and the body support while the aluminum cars are supposed to go under the steering shaft. Is it to make it look more original? Why make 2 diferent sets of headers for what should be basically the same car? Thanks to all who replied and helped me out (especially the guys at Shelby).
John(;-)

amy B 12-25-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csx4769
Let me repeat Amy B"s words "Sorry Guys ,just need to keep things clear " ; I forgot that after the engine was placed in my car CSX 4769 by Vince at Shelby in Las Vegas ; it needed to be removed and have the foot boxes adjusted by Gary Davis in the shop. Seems after 19 builds that that little problem would have been solved, ( even by a bean counter ! ) Amy its the TONE, it seems, that can get any of us in trouble . You of all people should understand the level of frustration that is abounding in the current CSX 4750 plus program. Hand built cars, some hands in Las Vegas, some hands in Mexico, some hands in South Africa, some hands in prison and some hands in 50 states and shops everywhere . These people just wanting to live a dream that Carroll Shelby himself wants to be available to the common enthusiasts. How about the differantial oil leak / vent/ new design cover/ oil all over my new pride and joy problem ? Vince told me " Shelby Automobiles Inc. will have no problem making it right." Has that been solved , or , will (shelby racer) have to find out about that only after he drives the car for the first time? I would venture to say that anyone that can afford to build or have built a CSX #### toy is probably NOT stupid. But, they can be made to feel that way when reasonable questions are asked. Then told that they " they need to get a life" by an overworked bean counter. Not Amy B 's words , by the way. The oil leak-- " Well its not leaked for the past eight months sitting in the shop at Vegas." I was actually told this by someone that " does not want his words to be used against him". This while waiting for the replacement suspension parts. Duh, it only leaks when you drive it ! It cost me just less than a grand to fix it , this because the halfshafts and the rear end must be removed to have it fixed the way the competition racers do it. I asked to have bill sent to Shelby under warrenty and was told " Don't waist you time and effort." Question : haven't these rear ends been used and copied by Jag , Shelby, Kirkham , Hot Rodders , and the like for forty years??? ? ? Dirty laundry should be aired in private I agree, but, the owners forum is under construction. Amy , why don't you have a meeting of your customers at the next SAAC Does Vegas? Buy us a breakfast and have a civil exchange of ideas and brainstorm some solutions : have Carroll show up to use his incredible charisma to keep the dream alive and the tone of the meeting respectful and under control. Run this by Joe Jaccuzz The customer relations and communications guy that could have had me arrested for the way I treated him when I stormmed past him and thru the back door at the shop to see my yet unfinished car ( the second SAAC in Vegas in a row). REALLY GUYS I was a total a$$, and I wrote a hand written letter of apology in my Vegas room that weekend . I gave a copy to Gary Patterson, Gary Davis and handed the original to Mr.Jaccuzz and said " this is for you and it is not a summons" . My sence of humor didn't come thru, I guess, because I never heard from him again. Did I mention that he is the Vice President of Communications and Customer Relations ? I also asked that a copy be given to Amy B. I wonder if she ever got it, or may be thats why she avoided me for the rest of the weekend at SAAC 2006. Many of you will think that I am just a defective (Rear End ) just like in my car . But, many of you know I am telling the truth. Nobody could make this $hit up. Respectfully Yours in the Hobby Randy Hermans CSX 4769. Cell 805 816 2288

Randy, I suggest you stop this public conversation, as I dont think you want to be publically humiliated. We both know what has happened. And as far as Vince working on you car, that is correct, offsite under his own company, which I nolonger allow, so keep this lie up and you will hear more from me

Amy

amy B 12-25-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby racer
Gary Davis came through - again. I ended up having to have a # 5 pipe from an aluminum car and a # 5 pipe from my fiberglass car cut and rewelded several times, but all 8 pipes fit happily with no denting. My # 5 pipe fits nicely under the steering shaft. I still do not understand why the fiberglass cars' # 5 pipe are supposed to go between the steering shaft and the body support while the aluminum cars are supposed to go under the steering shaft. Is it to make it look more original? Why make 2 diferent sets of headers for what should be basically the same car? Thanks to all who replied and helped me out (especially the guys at Shelby).
John(;-)

gary Davis is the best! he will always be there for you.

Amy

shelby racer 01-27-2007 12:06 PM

The new headers are IN!

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I just got the headers back from being ceramachromed by Cap's Brite Hot coating in Fresno. They look great. I have included images of 5-8 laying on the ground in order and in the car. CSX4788 should be on the road soon. Thanks again to all who helped.
John(;-)
P.S. Can anyone tell me why the # 5 header is designed to go over the steering shaft and between it and the body support? Is it more authentic that way? The # 5 pipe did have to be chopped and tweaked and re welded multiple times inorder to get it to fit and line up by my race car mentor Dave Murray.