Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shelby and Racing History (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-racing-history/)
-   -   Carroll's chili? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-racing-history/109009-carrolls-chili.html)

209 02-04-2011 07:16 PM

Carroll's chili?

I know this is off the wall but how many of you enjoy Shelby's packaged chili mix? I do and even have an unopened box on a memorabilia shelf! :LOL: 209

fordracing65 02-04-2011 07:23 PM

I have an unopened box on my trophy shelf also, never tried the chili though.

kayakjack 02-04-2011 07:25 PM

I make chili using Shelby's mix. Made it last night. Great stuff. Don't think he owns this anymore. I think he sold it. Not sure.

Jack

ZOERA-SC7XX 02-04-2011 07:34 PM

Great chili mix...I use it all the time and have for several years.

MaSnaka 02-04-2011 08:36 PM

My Dad introduced me to that stuff in the very early '70s. It's been awhile since I've had any. As a kid I was always intrigued by a man named Carrol but since he was a race car driver I guess that made him alright.

John

Mark IV 02-05-2011 03:38 AM

Chili company sold off many years ago. Does the fact that the name is licensed make the new chili a "replica" or a "continuation"??????

lamaluv 02-05-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1107664)
Chili company sold off many years ago. Does the fact that the name is licensed make the new chili a "replica" or a "continuation"??????

Not sure on the replica vs continuation but at least we know it's REAL chili. :LOL:

Steve Cassani 02-05-2011 08:56 AM

As best I can recall, the original Shelby chili was packaged to allow the chef to prepare the batch as hot as he wanted. "Add more from this package to make a chili from mild to wild." I tried the mild dose and the next morning I concluded there had to be a bunch of chili lovers somewhere who were a heck of a lot tougher than me.

Never been back.

fordracing65 02-05-2011 09:21 AM

I heard all the proceeds go to shelby charities, lol

Michael4yah 02-05-2011 12:33 PM

I'll bet whoever bought the chili rights got a "No Compete" agreement from CS.

Slither 02-05-2011 02:10 PM

Darn good chili!!!

tkb289 02-05-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaSnaka (Post 1107633)
My Dad introduced me to that stuff in the very early '70s. It's been awhile since I've had any. As a kid I was always intrigued by a man named Carrol but since he was a race car driver I guess that made him alright.

John

Same here ... my Dad brought some home in the mid 70's and as I recall it was packaged in a brown paper sack and the directions were along the lines of cutting the meat the size of your little toe. There was a packet of spice and one with what looked like flour. Have not had any since, wonder if it's still the same ?

Seems like the 'original' chili came in the bag, whereas the 'continuation' chili comes in a box ?? ;);)

HealeyRick 02-05-2011 04:48 PM

Funny, I have a box to make up some chili for SB Sunday. Reminds me a lot of "Wick Fowler's Five Alarm Chili" mix. I'm from Massachusetts and can tell you more about clam chowder than chili, but I like to use it as a base and make my own improvements. I always substitute beer for the water the directions call for. If I'm not mistaken, there's a tie-in between CS's Terlingua Racing Team and the Terlingua Chili cookoff.

kayakjack 02-05-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkb289 (Post 1107795)
Same here ... my Dad brought some home in the mid 70's and as I recall it was packaged in a brown paper sack and the directions were along the lines of cutting the meat the size of your little toe. There was a packet of spice and one with what looked like flour. Have not had any since, wonder if it's still the same ?

Seems like the 'original' chili came in the bag, whereas the 'continuation' chili comes in a box ?? ;);)

Yeah, I think I still have a copy of the old instructions. They have dumbed down the instructions in the continuation stuff, but I think the product itself is the same. Good stuff.

Jack

rodneym 02-05-2011 09:28 PM

I read once that the Chili fixins were mixed by drunk Englishmen under a bridge.:JEKYLHYDE
Or was it that the secret ingredient was from a product called 'Pit Stop'?

tkb289 02-05-2011 10:28 PM

Through the power of the internet … here a little more Chili info … a review of the 'original' bag mix

http://mustangs.about.com/od/accesso...ychili-rev.htm

and some notes ...

'Although Carroll Shelby created the "Carroll Shelby Chili" mix 40 years ago, it was sold in 1986 and is now owned by Reily Foods Company. The packaging has been changed and it`s been purported that the recipe has been revised, too. Mr. Shelby wants it known that he has not been associated with the chili mix for many years and has nothing to do with these reported changes. Anyone with complaints about the quality or way the chili mix is being made should not contact him but call Reily Foods. '

and a review …

" It seems the little brown bag is no longer available. I recently tried the product packaged in a small box. The flavor of the prepared chile did not resemble chile made with the brown bag mix. A second batch of chili made with the boxed mix was still unacceptable … "

======

Could it be the 'original' bag mix is better than the 'continuation' box mix ?? :eek:

fordracing65 02-05-2011 11:03 PM

I heard they just released 50 bags of anniversary chili, these bags have special serial numbers denoting the chili is one of the anniversary models. LOL

Snakebit 02-06-2011 06:07 AM

Great chili mix. It's all I use plus 2 tblsp of chili powder. It will nock out any cold you have. It use to come in a paper bag.

Badman 02-06-2011 10:49 AM

I'm a former SAAC member, got out before the Shelby/SAAC relationship went downhill, and purchased a "bag" at one of "SAAC's Does Las Vegas Conventions. Frankly, I wasn't impressed and thought it was too sweet.

Racer_X 02-06-2011 12:44 PM

Wait until he makes the video announcing the new chili mix and about how the old was "OK" but the new is so much better. Wonder who the chef will be? justin Wilson has passed away, he would have been perfect for the commercial, "I Guarantee"