LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2002, 08:02 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Comment/Question For Slightly Taller Bob

Bob,

In November 1999 you posted a list of books that would make good reading. The comment is that I would definately give Shoen's Cobra/Ferrari Wars four, if not five, stars! The question is, Chaparral: Motorbooks Int'l, does it have an author? I found one by the ever present Dave Friedman and another by two other gentlemen. But Amazon.com didn't say who the publisher was for either book.

By the way, I just ordered the Burnside American Racing ... book tonight. I DO love your list, but man, I could have saved a bunch of cash by starting my collection in 1980 instead of 2000!

A suggestion - maybe, you, Cal and slightly smaller Bob, plus anybody else who knows of good books on Cobras/GT 40's/road racing in general, could post a revised list??

Thanks

Dave Lowell
Old 08-26-2002, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     

Dave:
My Chaparral book is by Richard Falconer with Doug Nye. Publisher is Motorbooks International. Published 1992
ISBN 0-87938-607-X

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 08-27-2002, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Yes, Falconer is the name. Good book!

Also, I being the ever-present "World's Tallest Chaparral Fan", I have found an interesting site that you might enjoy: www.petroleummuseum.org

When I visited Jim Hall's shops awhile back, he mentioned that he was putting together plans for a formal exhibit to house all of his cars for display to the general public. Up to this point, there was no way anyone could see these cars without having written permission from the Govenor of Texas,...or unless you happened to be 7 feet tall and claimed to have some sort of incurable disease which would take your life if you couldn't get a tour of the facilities.

Now, with the Petroleum Museum building a display wing, you don't have to have a note from the Govenor to see the cars! I have a feeling that the tourist population of Midland Texas should double the very first week.

Last edited by Robert Evans; 08-27-2002 at 08:08 AM..
Old 08-27-2002, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Dave, here is a copy of the list I did a while back of all of the Cobra books I'm aware of, along with a couple of links to sellers who might have used copies in stock:

-Essential AC Cobra, by Rinsey Mills

-Original AC Ace and Cobra, also by Rinsey Mills

-The SAAC World Registry, editions One and Two

-AC Cobra 1962-69, a Brooklands book compiling old road tests and magazine articles

-AC Cobra Gold Portfolio, another Brooklands compilation

-Cobra, the Complete Story, by Brian Laban

-Automobile Quarterly vol 14-3, which has a Cobra article

-Automobile Quarterly vol 16-3, which has a Shelby article

-Automobile Quarterly vol 22-3, which has a great article on the 427 cars

-Carroll Shelby's Racing Cobra, by Friedman and Christy

-The Cobra Story, by Carroll Shelby

-Ford Cobra Guide, by Bill Carroll

-Road and Track on Cobra, Shelby, and Ford GT40, another Brooklands compilation
-Shelby American Guide, by Rick Kopec

-Shelby's Wildlife, by Wallace Wyss

-Daytona Cobra Coupes, by Pete Brock et al.

-Cobra: The Real Thing, by Trevor Legate

-Shelby Cobra, by Dave Friedman

-Remembering the Shelby Years, by Dave Friedman

-The Cobra-Ferrari Wars, by Mike Shoen

-Cobra Super Profile, by Grainger

-Cobra, by Beki Adam

-Classic AC's, by John McLellan

-AC Heritage, by Simon Taylor

-Shelby, by Steve Statham

-AC (Cobra) Autohistory, by F. W. McComb

-Shelby Buyer's Guide, by John Lamm

Many of these are long out of print; the best source I've found for them is found at http:www.abebooks.com/home/TEW/

The in-print ones can usually be found at www.motorbooks.com or www.ewa1.com

This obviously doesn't cover GT40s, just Cobras. The GT40 books I'm aware of off the top of my head are Ronnie Spain's book; "Shelby GT40" by Dave Friedman; "The Inside Story of the Fastest Fords" by Karl Ludvigsen; the new Trevor Legate book titled, somewhat creatively, "GT40"; "Road & Track on Cobra, Shelby, and GT40"; and "Ford GT40 Photo Archive", a small softcover book published a couple of years back. I'm sure there are others; those are what come to mind right now.

In addition to the Falconer and Friedman books on Chaparral, Ludvigsen just published a softcover photohistory this year called "Chaparral--Can Am Road Racing Cars from Texas", and there is also a really nice, Japanese-text photo essay on the cars called "Chaparral: The Texas Roadrunner" that was published in very limited quantities several years back.

And yes, I have all of these in my library and no, they're not for sale... , in spite of my wife's wishes to the contrary.

SS Bob

Last edited by snakeeyes; 08-27-2002 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-27-2002, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Other books I strongly recommend, some of which are probably out of print:

The Last Open Road, by Burt Levy

Montezuma's Ferrari, also by Levy

The Fabulous Trashwagon, also by Levy (the third book in an historically-based series of novels dealing with road racing in its infancy in America in the early Fifties--great reading)

Pro Sports Car Racing In America 1958-74, by Friedman

American Road Racing Specials, by Allan Girdler

American Sports Car Racing in the Fifties, by Parravano, Edgar, and Lynch

By Brooks Too Broad For Leaping, by Denise McCluggage

Can Am and Can Am Photohistory, both by Pete Lyons

Corvette Grand Sport, by Lowell Paddock

Italian Sports Cars, by Winston Goodfellow

Scarab, by Preston Lerner

The Fabulous Fifties, by Art Evans

Archie and the Listers, by Robert Edwards

Time and Two Seats, by Janos Wimpffen (an exhaustive history of every FIA-sanctioned race up to around 1998)

The Best Damn Garage in Town, by Smokey Yunick

Chevrolet = Racing?, by Paul Van Valkenburgh

Ford: The Dust and the Glory, vols. 1 and 2, by Leo Levine

Again, these are the ones that leap to mind. Some are histories of specific marques, some are overviews of an era, some (like the McCluggage book) are poignant essays about the personalities of a different time. You guys feel free to add to the list. I expect a book report on my desk by next Thursday!

SS Bob

Last edited by snakeeyes; 08-28-2002 at 10:55 AM..
Old 08-27-2002, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi, i would just like to add a few cobra books to this list.
A.C. & Cobra by John Mclellan 1982
A.C. Toute l,histoire by Georges Maitre This book is in French and is a pocket book with some good photos.1986
A.C. Cobra 260-289-427 by Philippe Hazan 1984 French. This book has excellant photos from European racing in the 1960s not seen in other books.
Also Automobile Quarterly Vol 36 no 3 has a very good article on Ken Miles.Worth finding.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     

I bought a chaparral shirt from the Petroleum Museum awhile back. Reproduced the design from the 60's other that a small petroleum institute logo on one sleeve.

As an FYI, Vintage Motorsports still has some back issues featuring Chaparrals ( and Can Am )
see http://vintagemotorsport.com/store/t...roducts&grp=37

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 08-28-2002, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Another upcoming book that might be of interest:

"Flip Top" Madness: My Day of Reckoning at Monterey. Written by a one Robert Brzezinski. Book includes photos, video, and a well written history of an obsessional madness that only a Beethoven or a Mozart could appreciate. A must read.

Last edited by Cal Metal; 08-28-2002 at 08:24 AM..
Old 08-28-2002, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Speaking of Slightly Taller Bob......

...who is this big dude dodging incoming planes sitting with Phil Remington at the SAAC convention????? (4th photo on page)

http://www.cobracountry.com/articles...eeMtg-5th.html

Give credit where credit is due fer getting Mr. Remington to the event.

GODD JOB!!!!!!

Last edited by John McMahon; 08-28-2002 at 08:34 AM..
Old 08-28-2002, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, you are quite right, we should all thank Large Robert for earning the trust and friendship of Rem. He is a great guy but I don't think he cared much about any of the "old stuff" until Bob persuaded him to go to a few events, see some old familiar faces, and realize how much interest there is in the things he accomplished. Thanks, Bob.

Cal, that would be one short book! Maybe I could turn it into a screenplay for a Sly Stallone action movie--like "Driven", but with the Flip Top, you know? Man, just imagine--Stallone jumping over the door of the FT in a tux, driving through a plate-glass window, chasing some guy in another car down city streets and sidewalks, culminating in a huge wreck where the Flip Top magically flies through the air and then crashes in a ball of flame worthy of a napalm attack in Vietnam...just like real life, right?

SS Bob
Old 08-28-2002, 03:48 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks Guys

Man,

I love this place - Shelby and Racing History!!

I am going to combine all the suggestions and post it; thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave Lowell

ps SSB - congrats on your "flip top " fix. Really neat. Would love to see some of the pictures.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Absolutely have to agree with the assessment of Big Bob. A couple of years ago, we had the discussion about getting in touch with Phil and Bob really went to work and, as a result, we have had a lot of fun socializing with Phil and listening to all the great stories.

Phil's daughter, Kati, has often mentioned to me how much Phil really respects Bob and how Bob can get Phil to do things that no one could ever convince him to do. The SAAC 27 episode is one. Without Bob, Phil would not have gone to that event and participated in any of the events.

Phil is getting into the history of all this, too. I think he has awakened to the fact that he did contribute something significant to Motorsport. I think before he hooked up with Big Bob, it was all just ancient history.

Despite all these kudos for the "Tall One", I just want you to know, Bob, that I still have first right of refusal on the trophy.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

You guys need to give credit to the real reason why Remington goes to these types of events: LINDA VAUGHN!!

We were sitting at the SAAC thing, and Rem was getting a little bored with what he refers to as "Profiling" by some of the ex-employees, and we agreed that we might get up and leave before it was over. Then Linda Vaughn took the mic and Rem perked right up. (I ought to share the story of the reactions of the SAAC people when they found out who was coming through the gate.)

I just consider myself the beneficiary of his company and knowledge....and the chauffer!

Cal,...Sure, come here and pick up the trophy anytime. You know my address.
Just be sure and put it back when you're through looking at it.

Last edited by Robert Evans; 08-29-2002 at 03:23 PM..
Old 08-29-2002, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Big Bob, the Linda V. story makes me grin. Phil must have been loads of fun back in the day, as the saying goes. One of my fondest memories pertaining to vintage races, funny as it probably sounds, is from this past July with the three of us sitting outside of the bar at Siebken's with Phil, drinking Rolling Rock (at least Phil and I were, that is). Definitely something I never imagined I'd be doing when I was a kid, poring over the pages of the various Cobra books I'd collected.

Dave, glad you found our book lists useful. When I start looking on the Internet at used car books the thing that amazes me is how damn many there are. Every once in a while I'll stumble across a really great book that has been out of print for thirty years or so; those are fun to add to the old library. Hell, I've spent so much money at Classic Motorbooks they ought to name a wing of their warehouse after me.

And BTW, I'm working on getting some Flip Top pics posted. My brother finally got his film developed--$50 worth--so I should have some up shortly...

SS Bob
Old 08-29-2002, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

Motorbooks International will be publishing a NEW Cobra book by Rinsey Mills this fall. He has taken many photos of interesting Cobras in the last year, flying from England to Colorado last spring to shoot pics of Cobras. I don't know the exact topic of the book, but Rinsey's books in the past have been first rate! Apparently you can preorder already, although I haven't received a catalog from them in some time.Anyone got a web site for them?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:13 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Try This

Jim,

I believe the following site is them http://www.motorbooks.com/
They call themselves "MBI", which I assume is Motorbooks International.

Whoops, Jim, go here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

the Rinsey Mills book, "Ac Cobra: The Truth Behind The Anglo-American Legend", is here on Amazon.com for pre-order.

Dave Friedman is coming out with a new book titled "Cobra" it too is available for pre-order

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...691182-4348004

I hope these links work, I was signed into Amazon as myself and they may need my cookie. If they don't, search under Mills and Friedman and you WILL find them.

[Dave Lowell

Last edited by Thorin; 08-29-2002 at 08:51 PM..
Old 08-30-2002, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the links, Dave. I wasn't aware of either of those books coming out. Man, another Cobra book from Dave Friedman. The guy is a bottomless pit of Cobra pictures. I'd love to sift through his archives! He probably has enough film from the Sixties to keep cranking out a book every six months or so for the rest of his life. Have at it, I say.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that Amazon and Buy.com often have these books at a significant discount from Motorbooks or EWA--it's worth taking the time to search their sites before ordering--

Bob
Old 08-31-2002, 03:36 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Red face Word File Of The Books Listed

I need to get a life

I have a Word file about done that has all the books listed in this thread, plus some I have found while looking through the booksellers mentioned by SSB. If anyone would like a copy, just e-mail me: thorin@airmail.net

I tried converting it to a text file, but it was not useable.

Feel free to add, subtract, correct embelish etc. I would appreciate copies of corrections and additions. so I can keep my list up to date.

Thanks

Dave Lowell