Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool Another cool car from the Shelby era.

Another interesting car from the Shelby era was the King Cobra which was purchased by Craig Lang. The chassis was cm/1/64,and the body was painted orange. It had a different shaped nose compared to the other King Cobras and the rear vents above the wheel arches were filled in. Also the exhaust was routed below the engine and exited below the rear bodywork. The race history of this car was brief.
97, Dave Macdonald-Phoenix FIA open race- 19th April 64
1ST overall
97, Dave Macdonald-Riverside USRRC Drivers Championship race - 26th April 64. DNF
97, Dave Macdonald- Laguna Seca USRRC Drivers Championship race-3rd May 64. 2nd overall
97,Bob Holbert Kent USRRC Drivers Championship race- 10th April 64. Crashed in practice.
Some parts salvaged and used on Pete Brock designed Lang Cooper.
I have made a model/slotcar of this King Cobra and used Dave Friedmans books for reference.The Shelby American Original archives 62-65 pages 116 and 117. Also Carroll Shelbys Racing Cobra pages 66,67 and 68.
I used a monogram 1/32 body and a Riko chassis. I had to fill in vents and make a new nose , rub down , redo bits etc. Make a spoiler out of plasticard and find the right decals, only two missing.
I am not a pro by any means and i find it all difficult but i am pleased with the result.
Anyway there is one small detail that i can,t figure out. In D Friedmans book (Shelby Archives) page 116 if you look closely there is something written or painted on the door just below the screen. I just can,t make it out. I,ve emailed Dave Friedman but he won,t be home til march. I will get back to him. I suppose only Wally Peat or Craig Lang will know. If anybody knows them please send me a PM. If anyone can help i,d be grateful.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another view.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Side view.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

Last one. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very nice! Your work is inspirational, I used to build one-off plastic models 20 years ago, gives me the hankering to give it another try

I've looked in the books you referenced and I can't see a thing?? Below the windscreen?

Francis
Old 02-20-2004, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi Francis. Its only on pg 116 in D Freidmans Shelby Archive book.Its the colour photo. It is hard to see but its there. On the side door pod? under the screen. It looks like it was only on the car once.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Paul...I think I see what you are referring to in that book's photo...but the detail is lost in the resolution.

The only thing I can think of, looking at other King Cobra images, is that's where the driver's name was usually painted.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

More pics of the Cooper Lang King Cobra:

Old 02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

John, great pictures,that particular Lang Cooper has been bought by a Swiss car collector and is maybe taking part in some historic events this year. Unfortunately the King Cobra that is in my pictures was crashed in 1964.
Computerworks. Yes you are probably right, its got to be either Dave Macdonald or even Lang Cooper, Cooper Ford ,King Cobra. Someone must know.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Default Actually

..Revell made a rather nice Lang Cooper in 1/32 scale. Hard to find now but I had one I raced in the 60's.

Nice conversion.

I saw the car at a SAAC meet in Dearborn when Bill Warner had it.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-27-2004, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Paul, looks great. I hope you find that info out from Friedman when he replies. I know how frustrating it is to be missing a detail like that...kind of like my now-ten-year search for Dave MacDonald's autograph, and my more recent hunt for a set of those "winged" 1st-generation Cobra emblems for my slabside...