28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would like to propose that we save May 10th of every year as "Drive your Cobra/Shelby day".
Carroll said many times that these cars were never intended to be static displays. They are made to be driven!

What more fitting way can we honor his memory.

Thank you Carroll for the impact you made on all our lives. We will never forget you.

Kim
Renlady and krkucin like this.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Saw my first Shelby in 1966 at a Ford dealer in Chicago (Jack Loftus Ford) with 2 years to go for driver's license. Those cars just grew on me from there and just knew I had to have a few. Went to work for Ford Motor Company out of College and played with many Shelby's over the years. 6 Cobra replicas over the last 17 years and still love those little sports cars. Thank You Carroll for the inspiration as you have made the Blue Oval Shine the past 50 Years! God Bless and R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: "still droolin"
Not Ranked     
Default Carroll Shelby

So, the Lord has called on "the king of horsepower." I'm guessing GOD has ol Shel building HIM a new chariot!! Rest easy, Shel, you have certainly earned it. We have all been blessed by having him around a little longer through his transplant. His legacy will be around for sometime.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pilgrim Sumo 3.5 liter V8
Not Ranked     
Default Carroll Shelby Tribute

A wonderful man who will be missed by all Cobra enthusiasts, especially at Goodwood which is holding a 50th anniversary with a unique one-model race at the Revival meeting. This will be a tribute not only to the Cobra but also to Carroll.

He will be remembered for this iconic Anglo-American sports car which still turns heads after 50 years.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Carroll left a legacy larger than life and changed the automotive world forever!
R.I.P.
Wicked Quick likes this.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk III 427w, dual quads
Not Ranked     

R.I.P.

Thanks,
Will

Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carroll did not only change the automotive world. He also changed my life!

I bought my dream car with an age of 24 years. It was a replica with a V6 engine, but it was perfect for me (and my wallet) at that time. I’m now 40 years old and own another Cobra. This makes a lot of fun at the sunny days at the Swiss alps.

But the possibility to meet Carroll personally in 2006 and getting a former Shelby Employee as a friend was much more I had thought before. It is always like being a kid when listening to the stories of the time were race drivers were heroes and their cars were miracles.

Carroll I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the great moments a had and will have because of you.
R.I.P
Wicked Quick likes this.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

As a teenager I went with my dad to pick out our new family car in 1966. On our trek to find the right sedan we went into a dealer in downtown Tulsa called Doenges Bros Ford. When we walked into the showroom there it was; a 1965 Selby Cobra. It was love from first sight for me. A memory and a promise I kept to myself until my children were grown, educated, and married.

Finally, in 1999 I bought my first Cobra and with the help of all of those on this site (past and present) I managed to get it built in record time. Picked up as a Stage III roller on January 8, 2000 I had the car completely assembled, engine built, painted, titled, and taged by mid April 2000. I thought I was one stud muffin back then and mine was the most original of all the kit cars out there. Truth is it was a nice replica of an original and I was very proud of my efforts.

Thank you Carroll Shelby for planting the seed so many years ago of Cobra ownership albeit a replica of your creation. I still have my first Cobra and it has had several transformations (from a 302 with a Edelbrock 650 and a T5 tranny to a 427/ 550 hp with a Quick Fuel 950 Carb and a toploader and a set of racing Hoosier slicks). I love my Cobra and plan on keeping it and passing it on to someone else someday. My Cobra has opened so many doors for me professionally and personally. Friendships I have made over the past 13 years have proved to be some of the most enduring and worthy I have ever had. There is a bond that is made from Cobra ownership that is enhanced once you venture out on a track with your Cobra. Cobra owners that also track their cobra's will literally give you the shirt off their back if you need it to get your Cobra going.

Thanks again Mr. Shelby for enhancing my life and causing my wife so much frustration (my wife finally understands and it only took about 8 years).

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mark III, 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

A note to Saint Peter,
That person blasting past you at warp speed was Mr Carroll Shelby.
Do not be concerned you missed him. He is quick. Just 'google' Shelby Cobra and you will understand.
God bless you Carroll Shelby. May you rest in peace.

Steve
Australia
ALF and Renlady like this.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkm View Post
I would like to propose that we save May 10th of every year as "Drive your Cobra/Shelby day".
Carroll said many times that these cars were never intended to be static displays. They are made to be driven!

What more fitting way can we honor his memory.

Thank you Carroll for the impact you made on all our lives. We will never forget you.

Kim
I am all for this and will ask that Drive Your Cobra/Shelby Day be added to our club's calendars and I'll be adding it to our Facebook group. Great idea!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Saw this on Motor Trend. Some good stories about Carroll Shelby by C. Van Tune.

Shelby Stories: Personal Remembrances about a Larger-Than-Life Legend
Written by: C. Van Tune

Shelby Stories: Personal Remembrances about a Larger-Than-Life Legend - Motor Trend Blog

When he woke up after the heart transplant, the doctor told him that the donor was a 38-year-old African American man who keeled over from a stroke at a Las Vegas craps table. Without missing a beat, Shelby said, “I hope you gave me his dork too.”
Wicked Quick likes this.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All of us here at Wicked Quick are deeply saddened by the passing of Carroll Shelby. He was our inspiration, and has been the object of our obsession for the past several years as we worked to create a whole apparel collection inspired by the man and his accomplishments.

The Founder & CEO of Wicked Quick was lucky enough to have met Carroll in person several times over the last year. He put together a really nice tribute to Carroll on our website, recounting the last time they met at the Shelby office in Gardena, CA.

You can read it here.

Our hearts go out to his friends and family - and to all of you Shelby fans. Hang in there!