9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     
Question Anybody familiar with the Mustang GT/CS

A Mustang GT/CS is being offered by the Blood Assurance Group from Chattanooga in a blood donors "raffle" from participants during September. This car will be on dispaly at our Motormania Car Show in late September as part of their blood drive.
I'm posting because I am suspicious of this car. First it's listed as a '67, doesn't have side markers or fog lamps. I do not know if The Bood Assurance group is aware that there were no '67 GT/CS's. (At least I don't think there were any unless you want to call "'Lil Red", the Carroll Shelby "prototype", a '67.) I intend to contact them on Monday and find out more about what they know of the car. I'm guessing it's a "clone' but they aren't advertising as such. I would like to more familiar with the car before I call. I did some Internet research and determined a few things but don't want to call "half cocked". Any help would be appreciated.
(I'm aware that side markers weren't required until '68.)
Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

The 67 GT/CS was a "limited" edition Mustang. A GT/ "California Special". Just decals and trim items, no relation to Shelby.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I own an origional 1968 GT/CS. There are many items that you can check to see if it is an origional GT/CS. Try to "google" GT/CS for the web site. I have forgotten what it is. The GT/CS was made only in 1968. The Hi Country Special is the same car, except for an emblem change on the side fake air scoop, that car was sold in the Colorado area in 1967 & 1968. The origional GT/CS has a 1967 grill painted a satin (?) black color, two Lucas or Marcele (sic) driving lights. Two hood pins, two non-functional side scoops, a Shelby fiberglass trunk lid along with the fender extentions. The taillights were T-Bird and non-sequencial with the chrome taillight housings. The gas cap has a top release, the cap flops down on the top of the bumper. Lastly is the side white stripe that goes from the front fender to the fake side scoop. There are only seven differences between the 1968 coupe and the California Special, I have mentioned all of them. An easy way to check the authanticity is to look in the trunk at the cutouts for the taillights. You should see the origional square cutout for the 1968 taillight and two (per side) perfectly round holes for the covers of the new taillights behind the T-bird lens. Protruding from the holes will be a round "bubble" of sheet metal where the light goes on the inside. An Origional "origional" car will have cardboard covers over the entire taillight housing. There were 4,325 produced, I will look thru my magazines and try to find the serial numbers of the GT/CS cars that are known. The GT/CS clone , if done tastefully, can be as nice as the real thing. Oh yes, all engine and transmissions were available. John
Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Wizard, as for the side markers- an early 1968 had the markers on the inside of the body, Ford decided that they could save some money and deleted the hole in the 1/4 panel and drilled two holes and put the side marker on top of the body. John
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I have found the book that I was looking for. I doubt that you will be able to find this book: "GT/California Special" "Recognition Guide & Owners Manual" by Paul M. Newitt in 1989. I know that Paul is still in the GT/CS business, his last address was: PO Box 2013, El Macero, Ca. 95618. In Paul's book he mentions "fake" GT/CS Mustangs and how to spot them, assuming that the car you will be looking at is an origional look at the taillight wiring harness , on the right side , will have a five prong connector and , hopefully, a tag numbered C8ZX-14405-A . If I can be of any further assistance please call me at 520-825-9197, Tucson, Arizona. John
Old 08-26-2007, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Thanks much for all the input. I had already googled GT/CS and pretty much determined what all y'all said. Your input confirms.
My concern is that Blood Assurance may have the belief that this is an original car. (They were duped.) Or, they may know it's a fake but aren't representing it as such. I know they purchased this as a way to get more people to donate blood but I don't have any any details on the purchase itself.
From the 2 pics I have seen, the car looks in excellent shape but I can see some winner being highly disappointed when he/she learns it's not an original. But then again, the ticket only cost a pint of blood.
Will talk to their marketing manager, from where I got the pics, tomorrow and then provide an update.
Any venture on what an original in excellent condition might be worth?

Last edited by wizard; 08-26-2007 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard
Thanks much for all the input. I had already googled GT/CS and pretty much determined what all y'all said. Your input confirms.
My concern is that Blood Assurance may have the belief that this is an original car. (They were duped.) Or, they may know it's a fake but aren't representing it as such. I know they purchased this as a way to get more people to donate blood but I don't have any any details on the purchase itself.
From the 2 pics I have seen, the car looks in excellent shape but I can see some winner being highly disappointed when he/she learns it's not an original. But then again, the ticket only cost a pint of blood.
Will talk to their marketing manager, from where I got the pics, tomorrow and then provide an update.
Any venture on what an original in excellent condition might be worth?
Maybe somebody should "assure" them of what they have before there is any "blood" shed.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 08-26-2007, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My GT/CS was restored many years ago but is driven very little and is garage kept. I would estimate that it is worth about $16,000.00. There is a GT/CS club for the old cars, 1968, and even one for the new ones, 2006/07. I don't recall the web site though. John
Old 08-26-2007, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Again, thanks for the comments. I should know more in the morning.
Excellent choice of words, Power Surge.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turns out this is a '67 Mustang Coupe donated by the CEO of the local Blood Assurance Group and was restored as a GT/CS. Some of the parts were hard to find and they were under a deadline so the car is as is. No one is trying to misrepresent anything nor did Bood Assurance get duped. As a matter of fact, after the restoration, they did some internet research and discovered hat there was no such animal as a '67 GT/CS and were a bit embarrassed.
Perhaps I was a bit paranoid, but I've seen a few cars misrepresented where the intent was to get the most bucks for the least investment so I apologize to noone. The marketing director was appreciative of the input and all are happy.
By the way, no purchase nor donation, blood or otherwise, required.
This apprears to be a really nice car and I'll have some pics up on our web site tonight (www.motormania.us), soooooooo if you're from Northwest GA, Northeast Al, or Southern TN, or maybe even passing through, come see us on Sept 29 at the N. Ga. Ag Fairgrounds, 10-4.
To all who had input, my sincerest appreciation. Ain't this site wondermuss or what?