SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Roll bar cross member and 5/6pt belts

I currently have just lap belts in my CSX. I would like to take it to the track this year and need to install 5/6pt belts and a cross member mounting point for the roll bar.

What are the opinions on this x-member from finishline? Any others that I should consider? I am trying to keep my car as period correct looking as possible.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...7a578163211c30

Also, for the belts, recommendations? Ideally I would like to not add any new anchor points. Does that leave me with either 4pt belts or 6pt belts with the front straps attached to the seat track?

This 5pt kit from finishline seems to be period correct looking. Is it a good design? Are there 6pt options in this sort of style?

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...7a578163211c30

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

while i can't comment on specifics on your car, i can tell you for NHRA the shoulder harness attach points cannot be higher that the highest point of contact on your body.
the between the leg strap must be attached to a steel frame member or steel strap under the seat attached to a frame member. the seat track attaching won't fly.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug, can you do something like this? These are my Crow belts. BTW, any update on the oil?

EDIT -- Before anybody posts a warning, those bolts go to the chassis. But I would think that if Doug properly braced it from behind he could just drive the bolts straight through the aluminum bulkhead.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

can anyone tell me what the width of the roll bar used in the picture?
- -or can the polished cross-bar be trimmed to the correct width?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug I just put a set of Simpsons in 6025 as they are SFI approved. The rear cowl bar is a perfect height for wrapping the shoulder straps around. It puts them right across the shoulders and 90 deg to the spine. I used the nice trim plates for them from Finishline. http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=228 I attached the submarine strap with a spacer to the steel channel for the sidepipe hanger as it is welded at both ends to the frame. I have some pictures I'll e-mail you. The roll bars are typically 12" on center but according to the Simpson install instructions those crossbars are too high. Patricks look like they are at the same height as the cowl hoop.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just thought of something else I have made plates to go between the seat bolts to attach a submarine strap but only if they bolt to the frame and yes I do use larger diameter rated bolts holding the plate and the seats.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     

I'd like to see some pictures of that setup. I have been considering wrapping around the cowl bar but wasn't sure which belt I should use or how it would look/work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Hey Doug I just put a set of Simpsons in 6025 as they are SFI approved. The rear cowl bar is a perfect height for wrapping the shoulder straps around. It puts them right across the shoulders and 90 deg to the spine. I used the nice trim plates for them from Finishline. http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=228 I attached the submarine strap with a spacer to the steel channel for the sidepipe hanger as it is welded at both ends to the frame. I have some pictures I'll e-mail you. The roll bars are typically 12" on center but according to the Simpson install instructions those crossbars are too high. Patricks look like they are at the same height as the cowl hoop.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the feedback on this. It's interesting that most feel that adding a cross member to the roll bar makes the angle too high for the shoulder belts. I believe that George Anderson told me that he installs these cross members in all of the CSX cars as the anchor point for shoulder belts and he certainly does a quality job with his cars (the conversation was actually about extra space he allows for in his tonneau covers to accommodate the cross member, so I was less focused on the seat belts).

I will have to check out how my current lap belts are anchored and then my options for 5 pt belts. In the meantime I am open to all suggestions and will report back with what I find.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have some pictures I'll e-mail you.
Thanks for the photos, that is helpful and is a good option. My guess is that I'll end up with something anchored to the cowl hoop.

Hey one other question - where did the original CSX comp cars anchor their belts and what belts did they use?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
- where did the original CSX comp cars anchor their belts
For more than lap belts, some of the original Comps had a crossbar that was positioned about halfway up the rollbar, behind the seat. It was an add-on, bolted not welded.

Several other shots of Comp cars also show a bolt-in eyelet on the lower bulkhead, also behind the seat, probably at a point where they could pick up a frame point behind the bulkhead.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I run the cross bar set up on my CSX and so did Dick Smith when he was around racing his Cobra. I am also running a 5 point belt setup. My belts are from Crow.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1 View Post
I run the cross bar set up on my CSX and so did Dick Smith when he was around racing his Cobra. I am also running a 5 point belt setup. My belts are from Crow.
Thanks for the pic, that's helpful.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if anyone had tried that bolt on inside the cockpit as Ron says they did back in the day. The seat is really off center to the roll bar and I would think one of the eyes would be on the inside and one on the outside. Morgan that's a good shot of you and yours.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I wonder if anyone had tried that bolt on inside the cockpit as Ron says they did back in the day. The seat is really off center to the roll bar and I would think one of the eyes would be on the inside and one on the outside. Morgan that's a good shot of you and yours.
If I had to use cross members on the roll bars for my shoulder belts it would be very uncomfortable for both the passenger and driver. They just don't line up properly on ERA cars.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mickmate,

Doug, you just want to take some measurements when you go this route. Get the cross bar as low as possible. Also note the loops are on the outside of the roll bar hoop on my CSX. Some people will run them on the inside but i would recommend against that.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I use the standard Finishline component that I smoothed the welds on and had triple-chrome plated to match the hoop. I use the offset mounts to center the straps to my body. I'm also 6'3" so the mounting points are neither too far above or below my shoulder height. Too low and you can cause injury to your spine. Too high and it negates the safety. The original mounting point (to the frame) can still be seen just above the seat. I also use a crotch strap that is mounted to the floor bracing, so it's a true 5-point system.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-25-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1 View Post
Also note the loops are on the outside of the roll bar hoop on my CSX. Some people will run them on the inside but i would recommend against that.
Why, do you recommend against the inside? It seems like Mickmate has that set-up. Is there a safety reason or just personal comfort?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
I'm also 6'3" so the mounting points are neither to far above or below my shoulder height.
I am 6'2", so this set-up might work for me as well. Any idea if the cross member scratches up the roll bar a lot so you can't really take it off once you've gone this direction?

www.partskeeper.com
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Doug, there is a thin rubber liner that slips between the clamps and the roll-bar. You really don't notice it unless you are looking for them.

-Dean
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Doug, there is a thin rubber liner that slips between the clamps and the roll-bar. You really don't notice it unless you are looking for them.
Good to know, thanks.

www.partskeeper.com