SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Strange Gage Problem

Guys, need a little help...the face (glass) on my electric fuel gage fogs up for the first 30 minutes or so after startup. After it gets warm, it clears up. What would make a new electric fuel gage do this? Neither the car or the gage has been wet or rained on. The gage fogs up in cold and hot (90 degree) weather...??? My old E-Type gages had what I figured were "fog marks" around the outer edges, but I thought maybe they got some water in them. This is the only gage that fogs!
Old 05-16-2002, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Sounds like you have a bad seal in the gauge

And if that's the case, and it is a crimped/sealed gauge, you will need to replace it. What it sounds like, is that it gets warm when you use it, and the moisture evaporates, then when you shut down, the warm gauge, as it cools, draws in moist outside air, so when you start it, the heat then makes the trapped moisture slowly evaporate? Does that sound right?

The only other possibility is that it IS sealed well, but you have trapped moisture, that you need to purge. Have you tried removing a rubber seal in the back, driving the car or parking it out in the heat, then replacing the rubber seal? (if there is a seal)
??
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is a standard ERA issue Stewart Waqrner, not particularly sealed, with a snap-in light bulb holder that would allow limited "breathing" of vapor. Now that I think of it, it does it day or night, with the lights on or off! I figured if it was a bit of moisture, it would dry itself out over time, but it has been doing this since November, from the first test drive...
Old 05-16-2002, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Unhappy I have heard...

A lot of good things about ERA

AND: A lot of bad things (overall) about Stewart Warner gauges

I went with Autometer, the Traditional classic chrome bezel electric gauges (set of 10)

Try purging the gauge by removing a rear seal, maybe remove the light bulb for a few hot dry days, then replace it ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My turnkey looks to be about 5 weeks away now, and that is good news!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm

Last edited by Back in Black; 05-16-2002 at 04:37 PM..
Old 05-16-2002, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to bckroom
Not Ranked     

Ken, had the same problem with a Shell Valley with S/W fuel guage. It was that way for about 13 of the 15 years I owned it. I dont know if your problem is the same, but the guage worked all that time with no other problem. I know this does not help you with a solution, but it caused me no major problem...........Roger
Old 05-17-2002, 05:25 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Ken,

My SW fuel gauge does the samething too. I've since learned to live with it, and as long as it still functions, I won't swap it out for another. FWIW, I swapped out three electric gauges for SW mechanical ones and these have not fogged up, where the older ones did..... but not all at the same time... go figure....

- Jim -
Old 05-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well...thanks, guys, I had planned to live with it if I couldn't figure out the problem, but I'm glad to know mine isn't the only one that does it. I think I'm going to try Back in Black's idea of running it and letting it sit for a while with the light bulb out to see if it will dry out a bit during the upcoming Houston heat.
Thanks for the replies...