SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Granada Rotors- Studs too short, what did you do ?

With those of you using Granada Rotors on your cars, you have likely found that the OEM Granada wheel studs are too short to offer correct (strong/safe) thread engagement to your lugnuts when using alloy wheels with thicker cross sections. The Granada rotors use OEM length studs set up for steel wheels used on the Granadas. I am using acorn style McGuard lug nuts that match the cone seat on my Team 3 wheels.

What length or part number of 1/2" wheel studs did you go with on the Granada rotors to run alloy wheels so you have adequate thread engagement to keep the wheel safely secured? It seems I need at least another 1/4" of stud length, 1/2" would be even better. I could just go down to NAPA and try to find a longer stud but I am sure this is not the first time someone has encountered this.
I dont know the OEM Granada knurl diameter of the stud until I press it out I guess . Advice on what you did ?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

How much grip length do you currently have?

ARP makes a set of very high quality long studs that can be trimmed to length as necessary. The standard OEM studs appear to have a .618 knurled area with a length of 1 13/16".

http://www.dormanproducts.com/applic...&cn=WHEEL+STUD

Click on the picture of the individual stud once the site opens for specifics on the individual studs.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-11-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Im running the Granada rotors on mine. Pop a stud out carry it down to the parts house and they will have a selection of studs. Thats what I did. You have to take the studs out anyway to change them.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick yes the Dorman parts are the OEM replacements and these are all too short when using the alloy wheels. The length I am hoping to find is in the
2 1/4" total length. Yes I have seen the ARP studs but these are 3.4 inches long and would need to be cut, which then makes taking the lug nuts on and off a REAL drag and easy to cross thread, I want a proper lead-in at the end of the stud to avoid that. It seems the Granada uses a knurl diameter of 0.554 when new and the Dorman replacements step it up to near .570 to ensure a good interference press fit upon replacement. I guess I will study the Dorman catalog until I find one. The Granada UHL seems to be 1 7/8". The best match I can find is a 2 3/32" with a 0.565" knurl diameter which may give me enough length Dorman 610-391

Last edited by kitcarbp; 05-11-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Check with NAPA.

I had to do this once on one vehicle I owned and they had the studs in 1/4 increments.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

at one time dorman made quality products, but for your life being in the hands of your wheel studs you should ask yourself.....do i trust communist china to make a stud i entrust my life to?

all dorman products are now made in china re-sell. if the arp is the only alternative and you need to cut them down.....do it....enough said...
Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is some detail I found from the "Wheel Professor" (very informative website BTW) about lug nut thread engagement. The SAE recommendation is to make sure you have at least the diameter of the wheel stud worth of thread engagement. In my case I use 1/2"-20 wheel studs. So the minimum thread engagement on the lug nut is to be 1/2" or about 10 complete turns/threads on the nut. Of course it will depend on the Mounting Pad thickness for the wheel you are using. In my case with the OEM Granada disc studs I have between 5-6 turns worth of engagement onto my Team Three Wheels which means the lug nuts don't have the adequate 10 turns and the lug nuts will tend to loosen over time . This is not on issue on my rear wheels since the 9" ford axles have longer studs and offer more than 10 turns of lug nut engagement.

Before hitting the road, make sure to check thread engagement when selecting the wheels and lug nuts and fitting them to rotors with OEM stud lengths. Chart attached is from the Wheel Professor's tech section on his website. Hope this info helps others.
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 05-14-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I would just get the longet studs. Install one to check and see how much you have to cut/grind off.

Then put the studs in a vice with a standard lug nut screwed all of the way on.

You then grind/cut off what you need and file/shape the end of the stud so that you can unscrew the lug nut easily.

That way you know that you will not have an issue getting the lug nuts to thread on correctly.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarbp View Post
Here is some detail I found from the "Wheel Professor" (very informative website BTW) about lug nut thread engagement. The SAE recommendation is to make sure you have at least the diameter of the wheel stud worth of thread engagement. In my case I use 1/2"-20 wheel studs. So the minimum thread engagement on the lug nut is to be 1/2" or about 10 complete turns/threads on the nut. Of course it will depend on the Mounting Pad thickness for the wheel you are using. In my case with the OEM Granada disc studs I have between 5-6 turns worth of engagement onto my Team Three Wheels which means the lug nuts don't have the adequate 10 turns and the lug nuts will tend to loosen over time . This is not on issue on my rear wheels since the 9" ford axles have longer studs and offer more than 10 turns of lug nut engagement.

Before hitting the road, make sure to check thread engagement when selecting the wheels and lug nuts and fitting them to rotors with OEM stud lengths. Chart attached is from the Wheel Professor's tech section on his website. Hope this info helps others.

I know a good machine shop that will make them look OEM....

wink, wink.....nod,nod.....
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

When I ran into this with some Torq-Thrusts, I counterbored the wheels to accept longer nuts with the flat interface.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes counterboring is another solution if theres enough clearance on the wheel center, but it should be easy enough to get 1/4" longer studs and bang them on in and Im done. Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem, Moroso makes wheel studs that fit your hubs.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics
Not Ranked     

I am using ET style lug nuts and it works great. These have a sleeve that give you extra thread room. You can order from most wheel dealers and even on ebay.

Much easier and cheaper solution.