SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2001, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question timing question

I have a 392 stroker from Ford Motor Sports.
When it was originally installed they set the timing exactly like it said in the installation 'guide'.
It ran poorly: no low end power, engine run on and backfire, hard to start, ran really rich.
Then the rotor 'jumped' out of position and really ran bad, ie. hardly at all.
The tow guy was nice enough to pick up the cobra.
After determining the problem was the rotor, he proceeded to ask the questions that related to "it ran poorly..."
They reset the timing to 32 degree advanced all the time and now it runs great all through the rpms from 1500 to 6000. It starts easy and does not run on. It seems to have more hp than before.
Now, What is the catch?
Will this cause other problems I do not know about?

What does my mechanic and the carburator guy know that FMS does not?
Thanx for the replies in advance.
Dana
Old 11-22-2001, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Timing

Dana,

I built my 302 last year and did exactly the same thing and had the same results - poor performance etc. I also started advancing my timing and found that my engine ran so much better with more advance. However, I don't think I had quite that much advance in my distributor. I know you could send an email to George Anderson at Gessford Machine Shop and I am pretty sure he could tell us the reason for this. I think it may have something to do with the automatic vaccuum advance in your distributor.

I have since replaced my 302 with a 428 cj - just about ready to fire it up this weekend.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dana;
They probley set you timing at 32 degrees total advance, this means they set it at 32 degrees at about 2500 RPM, that way the dist. , weather vacum or mechanel is advanced all it can.

Poorboy
Old 11-23-2001, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

I believe Poorboy is right. FMS does not always ensure their distributor curve is wide enough to start at 12 degrees and max at 32 degrees for the 20 degree advance. It is a quality control issue. My crate 351W had the same problem. It should be at 13 degrees initial and 36 degrees max. BUT at 2200-2400 rpm (or less)your distributor will have already opened the weights and the max advance should be in at 32 degrees. Therefore, you motor was "power timed" at max advance at 24-2500 rpms to ensure proper race performance at all higher rpms. I time my motor at max advance 36 degrees at 2300 rpm and let the initial timing fall where it may.
I considered having my Ford distributor recurved but was advised against it because my motor runs great. The MSD distributor has both adjustable initial and max settings but that is another expense. You may just leave the motor timed as you had it done.