SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-14-2001, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It sounds like whatever I do, it will require getting into the stock Superformance tank. I cannot recall where the fuel gauge sender is located when we dropped the tank to mount the larger supply/return lines, but doubt that I could effectively stuff the tank full-o-foam without making a bigger hole. No?

I tried contacting Jaz products, and their email bounced back 3 times. My local dealer didn't have a whole lot of technical expertise on the matter.

If I were to stuff the tank full of foam, isn't it likely that this will also hamper the sender from correctly reading the tank's level?

In any event, I'm beginning to think having a custom-built fuel cell is the way to go. Fuelsafe gave me a preliminary quote of about $1000 to do one, equal to what I could have my current tank baffled/trap-doored locally. Plus the added safety aspect...
Any suggestions as to who makes the best cells if I go that way? Anyone else out there want to go for a group discount?
Old 09-14-2001, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Grant,

To modify your tank with a pickup sump, a access plate on top and fill with foam should not cost more than 300-350.00.

These are very simple modifications that should take a competent fabricator no more than 3-4 hours.

First you have to find someone that is a competent fabricator, then you have find someone who not going to screw you.

Good luck.

Richard Hudgins
Old 09-14-2001, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     

step 1 will be easier than step 2
Old 09-14-2001, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard--

Thanks so much for your informative replys. Coupla questions:

Any suggestions as to where/how to seek someone who would do this kind of work? I can man the internet/phonebook with the best, but maybe you have some suggestions as to where to start looking.
Excuse my ignorance, but how are you defining "sump"? Is this a boxed-in (baffled) area the fuel cannot easily run out of? I am concerned the foam alone is not going to solve my surge issues with the shape of the Superformance tank.
Finally-- I'm still not going to be as safe in a crash without a rubber bladder, no?

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just to blow my own horn... This is our newest design, with both side and transverse baffles.

More details here

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-15-2001, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel tank access hole

From what I understand-- the Superformance fuel sending unit (and hole) is accessed from under the carpet in the rear trunk. I remember someone mentioning it when discussing fuel sending unit discrepancies. I don't know what size the access hole might be -- but it might be large enough to forgo cutting additional holes in tank.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob--

Dang! Pictures and everything! This is getting serious....

Honestly, it looks like a well-sorted tank. Any idea if it would fit a Superformance? Potential problems would be mounting provisions and sender-to-gauge interface. Or could you give me dimensions? Pricing/availability? Presuming you don't mind selling to "Brand X" ; )

If you prefer, you can privately email me.

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-20-2001, 04:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Have you tried running another pickup into the tank further to the rear?? CAn be done by welding another bung into the tank, then using a 'y' before the pump to reduce back to a single line. If you are going to weld the bung--FLUSH THE TANK AND THAN FILL IT WITH WATER BEFORE WELDING!!!!! Obviously--let it dry COMPLETELY before reinstallation. We wouldn't want a fellow member blown to KABOOM Afghanistan!