SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default scissor lifts

Not a great picture, but it illustrates my dilemma. I need greater access to the underside of my car. I’m getting tired of the jack & jack stand routine. Limiting factor is lack of garage space. I’m thinking 4 post and 2 post lifts are out. Haven’t seen much recent traffic on scissor lifts.

Have no experience with them, so it’s hard to tell by the pictures how much access you really have to the underside of the Cobra with a Atlas/BendPak/etc. mid-lifts. I assume enough room to do an oil change, check for leaks, bolt tightness, etc?

thoughts?

Bob
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

get a used kwik-lift or build one yourself.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I have a Bend-Pak scissors lift and like it. I scoot around underneath it on a stool with wheels. It is easy to work on either end of the car; harder to work on the center without being a contortionist. I recently changed the oil in the engine, transmission, and diff without drama and also serviced all the zerks fore and aft.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6046 S/C 427 (482) Shelby CSX1006
Not Ranked     
Default Titan lift

Bob I understand what your thinking. I went thru this several months ago and started a thread then. I live by Indy so there are several big lift company's to which I could visit and compare them in person. I ended up with a Titan, link for you below, and love it. My car is stored on the lift and has been for a few months, mostly to keep our cats off car but I also use it to detail under car. Makes everthing....wax, detail, clean wheels easer. Seval people told me I wold not like a scissor lift but not true, it great.
Further I choose a decent wheeled stool. I looked around and found this one to be the best bet. I works great much more comfortable than standing for a hour or two. Don't go cheap on this part or you will hate it. Enjoy!

Motorcycle, Vehicle, and Automobile Lifts: Home

[http://gemoneyonlineservice29.wordpr...echanics-seat/

Last edited by RichardCSX6000; 10-27-2012 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: wrong link
Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Richard,

What is the overall height when it is in the down position?

Do you not worry about your suspension hanging if you store your car on it? I have coil over’s and if I were to store my car on it, the suspension weight would hang on the shocks. Is that not a concern?

TIA
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK427 BB Chevy454
Neutral     

Hi Bob,
one of the guys over here in the french club made these;

I like the idea of removable centre pieces for access, but also to use to remove a wheel with the jack.

Mark
Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have a 2' x 4' table scissor lift, it works great under the center of the frame to lift a Cobra. Basically the same as the Titan with a table top. It is 2000 lb capacity so I use it as an assembly raise and lower table. It gives really good access to everything but the underside of the trans. If it were rated for just 500 lb more it would lift the whole car with drive train.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Richard,

What is the overall height when it is in the down position?

Do you not worry about your suspension hanging if you store your car on it? I have coil over’s and if I were to store my car on it, the suspension weight would hang on the shocks. Is that not a concern?

TIA
The Shelby has about 3.75" at the lowest to work with. Heres what I did. I purchased two 10' 2x6's that I use to get the clearence height, those are actually 1.75 inches thick. I went to the farm store, purchased a horse stall matt which is heavy duty rubber, around .75" thick. I cut the matt 6"x11' which not only gives me .75 more height, it makes a .75 1" leed ramp so your not trying to jump up on the entire ramp height AND it keeps them from shifting when you drive on it. Since your front wheels are on the rubber part first and its attached with screws to the 2x6's they will not move. You will have 20bucks in the boards and about 30 in the matt. You can finish the boards as you wish for a better appearance. The suspension on that car is not fully extended as to having the weight on the shocks, im not sure how your car is built. I am not sure of the exact lowered height but the spec's are on the link page I posted. Trust me, you will love it!

Last edited by RichardCSX6000; 10-27-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys…

I’m currently researching an Atlas TD6MR and BendPak MD-6XP. I’ll add Titan MRL 6000 to my list.

Was hoping the arms could be positioned in such a way to clear the pan and swaybar mounts (4.75” from ground) in order to drive over it. I’m not real thrilled about having the car sit on boards. Space is a premium in my small garage (see pic).

Yes...that is my son...supposed to be servicing the bike forks...but instead texting.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Kwik-Lift

A Kwik-Lift is the way to go with the restrictions you describe. I purchased a used one a couple of years back and it's great. You don't see many of them for sale used (guess that's a testament to their usefulness).

Not the cheapest, but highly recommended.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have a KwikLift and keep the car up on it all the time. It appears that they went out of business, but there are plenty good used ones out there. Even saw one on this site a while back. It's simple, sturdy and gets your car up about 20", which worked perfect in my low-clearance garage.

You might also look at the Max Jack here. Also designed for low clearance and you have access to everything under the car. They are portable too.

MaxJax Portable Two Post Lifting System by Dannmar
Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Thanks guys…

I’m currently researching an Atlas TD6MR and BendPak MD-6XP. I’ll add Titan MRL 6000 to my list.

Was hoping the arms could be positioned in such a way to clear the pan and swaybar mounts (4.75” from ground) in order to drive over it. I’m not real thrilled about having the car sit on boards. Space is a premium in my small garage (see pic).

Yes...that is my son...supposed to be servicing the bike forks...but instead texting.
Your car may clear it Specs show 5 inches lowered but that is not true. The part that is the highest is a small wheel that sits in the middles front of the lift. If you car has 4.75 I would say you dont need boards.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Two post would be great….except my garage is too small. I think the posts sticking out on both sides of the car would be very intrusive. Yes - I could disassemble them when not in use…but still intrusive no matter where I put them.

Richard - how high is that small wheel that sits in the middles front of your titan lift?

Last edited by Voyager; 10-28-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default lifts

I really hate to revive an old post, but kwiklift is back in business I recently heard.

www.kwik-lift.com
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     

I installed a BendPak P-6FB. Flush to the floor in the down position. Easy drive on/off. About 30" of lift. Room for a creeper between the lifts.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Resurrecting my own thread from 2 years ago. I’m still looking for a small lift for my tight garage. Changed the oil and rotated the tires on my wife’s car last weekend. What a pain in the a$$ with floor jacks and jack stands…

Has anyone tried the bendpak “Quickjack BL 5000”?

QuickJack - Ranger BL-5000 Quick Jack - Motorsports Race Jack Stands - Race Car Pit Lift - Portable Car Lift - Garage Lift - Ranger

Bob
Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     
Default Quickjack

I'm in the same position, very little overhead space. Check out GarageJournal.com, there are a few threads about the Quickjack...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=253824
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=250314
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=217318
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=228823
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=239561

One plus is it's portable, choice of 120 volt AC or 12 volt DC. With the 12 volt you could use the batter from the car you are working on.

However, I don't think it's a drive on system. You have to place it under the car, not drive over it. This is what is making me pause. My garage is so small I would really like something that I can just leave in place.

There are also threads on scissor lifts installed in garage floors.

Post what you end up with.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

They do make four post lifts with shorter posts. I have a Rotary Revolution with the short posts. I think Rotary abandoned this market when it became to expensive to weld them up in Indiana. Other manufacturers must also have short post lifts.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I'm new here but the maxjax maybe exactly what you want. A friend has one and I am thoroughly impressed especially when I used it to change the oil in my Dodge ram 1500 quad cab. Very stable and no center restrictions. My buddy leaves one post in place(close to the wall) and removes and stores the other post when not in use. Only take a few minutes to reinstall the single post, works on 110v, cost less than $2200.00 new, installed it himself after having the garage floor thickness checked by taking a core sample.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My issue is not height; it’s the limited space surrounding the car, especially on either side of the car. Our 2 car garage has the Cobra and small SUV in each bay, with a BMW 1200 GS in-between. No room for the vertical post columns. No room for long Jack handles either. The Qucikjack may be the best solution. I’m ok with sliding the system under the car for setup.

I saw the GarageJournal.com threads. First batch ships Aug (maybe)? Concerned about getting one of the first production BL 5000s.