SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 428SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default Frying electric fans - Help

I have a Midstates Cobra with a 428 ci motor and C6 trans. Cooling has been an issue since I built this car. I have done multiple changes. Install a aluminium radiator, hig flow water pump, multiple thermostats from 150-195 degree, currently runnign a 165 degree. I have just cooked my 3rd electric fan. The last one I bought was a Spal 16" 2400cfm, all fans have been pullers because I have two little pushers in front of the radiato. I have enclosed all area around the radiator so air only goes through the cooling fins. I am looking for infor on other ways of puling the heat out from the engine comparment. thanks for any info.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Please don't think I'm questioning your tech skills, but the first thing that popped into my mind was to ask if your puller is turning in the correct direction. A puller that is actually pushing from the rear toward the front might account for both poor cooling and a rapidly failing fan.
buckdono likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-29-2014, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Deluca View Post
I have a Midstates Cobra with a 428 ci motor and C6 trans. Cooling has been an issue since I built this car. I have done multiple changes. Install a aluminium radiator, hig flow water pump, multiple thermostats from 150-195 degree, currently runnign a 165 degree. I have just cooked my 3rd electric fan. The last one I bought was a Spal 16" 2400cfm, all fans have been pullers because I have two little pushers in front of the radiato. I have enclosed all area around the radiator so air only goes through the cooling fins. I am looking for infor on other ways of puling the heat out from the engine comparment. thanks for any info.
Is your engine getting hot? You really don't state this fact. Frying the electric fan is a different problem than the engine getting hot.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tommy, yes it is moving air in the right direction. It is pulling through the radiator.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hay Joyridn, thanks for the reply, When the fan was running my temp gauge would read between 160 and 180. Yesterday when I realized I had a problem the outside temp was 89 degrees and temp gauge was reading 230 when stopped at a light. I was able to get it down to 190-200 while on the e-way. Did some looking to day connected a 12V source directly to fan and it ran. Checked power and was getting approx 12V to fan connection, tracked it down to a bad relay, acutely plastic was melted on relay. I think I need to still fine a way to cool engine compartment down.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I will try to find a now mounting place for relay.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Over the years I've expiremented with at least 6 after\market electric fans and while some were better than others, none can hold a candle to a factory/OEM fan......

Get one from a 2000/2008 Ford Taurus or Mustang GT and you'll be done with it..........

The best after market fan will only be 1/2 as good as either of these fans and you can get them most anywhere........

David
Old 06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agree with David. I had a Taurus fan in my car. They are 2 speeds and the high speed flows like 4000 cfm. They are designed for a 130 amp alternator though.

Have you checked other sources that may be causing the engine to get hot? Head gaskets?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Mike, here is what you need to solve your heating problems.
One Ford Taurus Electric Fan - Dorman OE Radiator fan assembly no.620-101 $88.11 (new) on Amazon.com.
Mark VIII Relay Kit -2-speed fan (Mark VIII Fand Relay Kits) Manual set up $73.86 Basic kit.
713 937-0387
He can build you a relay kit to work off of engine temp. requirements too.

This puller fan will solve your heating problems if all other systems are good.

Bill
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

Wires getting hot is not the same as engine running hot. You need to find out why you are cooking your fan or relay wiring. Take a look at the wiring by tracing it out and compare to the diagram. I would bet your multi-fan system is pulling too much current for your wire size you used.