SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1231 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft speedo cable routing?

Backdraft owners - how is your speedo cable routed in the cabin from the speedo through the exit at the floor? Or does it exit the cabin on top of the trans hump? Is it routed under the carpet? What do you think the best routing should be? The close proximity of the headers to the foot box precludes the typical cobra routing through the fire wall near the steering column.

thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

Khall,

Good question. I am going to do my BDR engine and tranny install myself and would like to know the same thing. In fact I was in the garage last night looking at the speedo cable and speedometer location. It looks to me, it would be a straight shot behind the speedo thru the upper tunnel. I don't want to bend the cable too tight. Has anyone done their own installs have suggestions and tips?

Wayne
Old 07-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2682, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

The BDR has a BMW rearend with the speedo pickup in the differential. There should be a wire running to the speedo if it is electric. Can't help you with a manual speedo

Chet
Old 07-29-2004, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

I did my own install. Autometer gauges, T-5 tranny. I melted the first cable in 10 minutes because I didn't want to bend it too sharp. Unfortunately, anywhere near the headers (mine are wrapped), and it's too close to the heat. My second cable comes up following the bellhousing and in through the firewall. The cable is just a little long but still works fine. I have a right angle adapter on the speedo (because it is reverse reading), but I don't know if the VDO gauges have the same adapter.
Good luck!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1231 428 FE
Not Ranked     

tfarhood,

Yes, the installation I am looking at is exactly the same situation as yours, T5 and Autometer reverse speedo. The first cable was too close to the #8 header and melted immediately. I intend to wrap the cable once around the T5 to take up some slack in the cable before entering the firewall or trans hump. Exactly where in the firewall does your cable enter? How much of the cable is visible from the driver's perspective?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Hi guys: The speedo cable should run under the carpet, down the side of the tunnel on the driver's side. Cut a groove in the padding so that it lays flat and doesn't create a bump in the carpet.

The electronic gauges didn't have a cable, but the new cars come with Auto Meter upgrades included. Which is why the new cars have a cable.

Also, we've found that the pin included with the 90 degree adapter, that goes into the back of the speedo, has to be modified. It's a 1.5 inch pin with a brass collar. Remove the brass collar or shorten the pin. It's too long on one side and caused the speedo not to work.

Hope this helps.

Boudy
Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

Boudy,

Thanks for the info. Where do you drill the hole in the tunnel at with a T5? Do I need the 90 degree adapter with Reverse Autometer Speedo? I didn't see one in the parts box, just the cable.

PS, you have PM from yesterday.

Thanks,
Wayne