SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default how to set ride height on a CSX car?

I am being told by a reliable source that to set the ride height correctly on a CSX car.

You need to set the lower control arms LEVEL!
This is easy to do for the front, but the rear however is the issue.

With the car up in the air (on the lift) when I snug up the spring only tight enough to make it not loose, then I put the car on the ground the car sits a little high... When I loosen the spring more it kind of seems too lose but the car sits lower, in order for me to get the car to sit lower to make the control arm even close to being level the spring is completely loose when the car is in the air, but when I lower the car and put weight on it it is good. Is this normal? am I missing something?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

There is nothing magic about the angle of the lower control arms. Set the springs so that the chassis height above the ground is correct (with a bit of static rake). That's how the suspension was designed.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I used these to solve the "loose spring" problem:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-HELPER225
Old 03-02-2021, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
There is nothing magic about the angle of the lower control arms. Set the springs so that the chassis height above the ground is correct (with a bit of static rake). That's how the suspension was designed.
I have a CSX car... Not an ERA , my ERA was great when you sent it to me...
Old 03-03-2021, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I have a CSX car... Not an ERA , my ERA was great when you sent it to me...
I realize that you're talking about a CSX. The final chassis height still defines the control arm angles, not the reverse.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I realize that you're talking about a CSX. The final chassis height still defines the control arm angles, not the reverse.
in order for me to get the ride height correct, the springs are too loose. Is it possible I have the wrong springs?
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If what you are saying is "When I have the ride height perfect, I can stick my hand under the car and rattle the springs back and forth" then the answer is yes, you must have the wrong springs.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I think you can either purchase longer springs (same diameter, same weight) or purchase/install helper springs whose sole purpose is to take up the slack with the suspension is dangling. I had this same issue and went with the helper springs.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Dangling

I can't speak for the other models but on a Backdraft when the front wheels are dangling, the springs are very loose and that is normal. I have 275lb Hypercoils that are 8 inches tall. When the wheels are on the ground under full load..........NO.. and if they were, that would be a cause for concern.

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 03-03-2021 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: text
Old 03-03-2021, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

what I am saying is that is when I get the car to look nice (nice low ride height) the springs (when car is in the air) is over 1" away from the lock nut. but when the car is on the ground under load it is fine...
Old 03-03-2021, 05:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
what I am saying is that is when I get the car to look nice (nice low ride height) the springs (when car is in the air) is over 1" away from the lock nut. but when the car is on the ground under load it is fine...
I have seen cars (not ERAs) that have no preload on them when the car is jacked up and the suspension is hanging down. So long as you have preload when the car is down on the ground, and the ride height is nice, and you're at 49% or more cross-weight, then I would say it's ready for the break-in drive, which should be nice and slow. After a hundred miles of gentle slow driving, you can see how the suspension handles corners out in a big open parking lot where there's nothing to hit should something break loose.